Must Read Mylar bags

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGirl07

Reaction score
I’m wondering if y’all think it is ok to use the Mylar bags pet treats come in if I wash them out real good. Several of my dogs treats come in them didn’t seem like a good idea to
Just throw them away. And I’ve looked at prices online for bags I am on a tight budget and would rather spend it on water and food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mylar bags from chips, dog food, etc. can be repurposed if they're rinsed out well.

To check for leaks, blow up the bag and hold it underwater in a filled bathtub, and check for bubbles.

You can then load the bag, seal it with a clothes iron and a yardstick or, possibly, a speacial bag sealer

....and if you put in oxygen eaters (real cheap on Amazon), you should be good to go.

Just use a sharpie black marker and a mailing label to clearly indicate contents and date.

See below:

51DRR2WwaiL._AC_SY400_.jpg

download.jpeg

The sealing machine is about $60.00, and the oxygen eaters are less than $10.00. I've used similar things to store large amounts of rice, soybean, pinto beans, quinioa, and gun magazines.

If you're on a tight budget and want to save money, consider the following points:

1) Go to friends and relatives, and scrounge plastic soda bottles and used gallon water bottles. Clean them, and fill with tap water and a few drops of bleach (use unscented Chlorox). The water will keep for many months, if not years.

2) Go to scratch and dent sales for canned food. Scratch and dent canned food can be had for pennies on the dollar.

3) Go to FreeCycle on Craig's List. You can get free camp stoves, tents, tools, and so on if you aren't too proud to clean things up and maybe repaint. Lots of survival supplies can be gotten from FreeCycle.

4) Prepping is about skills, not stuff.

A-trip-to-the-Scratch-and-Dent-Store-w-Words-1024x768.jpg

FYI, I have read that some people are nervous about scratch and dent canned food, as they get concerns that if a can's inner surface is compromised, then there is the possibility of food poisoning.....especially botulism.

I question this, as I make a distinction (which I should have clarified earlier) between a dented can and a bulging can.

A bulging can is definitely dangerous. A can from a scratch and dent store with part of the label missing, or if the label has water spots on it from a water leak on a store shelf....should be fine.

If the danger from food poisoning from dented cans is so much of a concern, then I would imagine that lawsuits (in our litigious culture) and regulation would have closed down all of these stores. I also think that the FDA would say something.

So, I still stand by my scratch and dent philosophy of saving money when prepping.

I have--literally--got four months worth of canned food for less than $80.00, which I relabeled with mailing labels and a black sharpie.

After about a year, I donate any unused food to a church and/or soup kitchen, and take a deduction on my taxes.

If you play your cards right and get creative, one can almost prep for free.

the single ply mylar bags for the retail market you are talking about - aren't long term food storage bags you want - and don't mistake some of the "kizzing cousin" poly bags for mylar ...

the long term bags are made from material that's multi layered - cross hatched plyed - and that outside layer is metalized >>> it's mylar that's specifically manufactured for that particular bag manufacture ....

the food you are storing will ALWAYS be the most $$$$ and IMPORTANT part of the packaging system >>> don't start crap shooting when it comes to the other component parts - the mylar bag is what makes the system work to it's top level of efficiency & longevity ...

your stored food is your insurance policy against what the world could do to you & yours - don't start short changing that policy and have nothing when the time comes ...

the single ply mylar bags for the retail market you are talking about - aren't long term food storage bags you want - and don't mistake some of the "kizzing cousin" poly bags for mylar ...

the long term bags are made from material that's multi layered - cross hatched plyed - and that outside layer is metalized >>> it's mylar that's specifically manufactured for that particular bag manufacture ....

the food you are storing will ALWAYS be the most $$$$ and IMPORTANT part of the packaging system >>> don't start crap shooting when it comes to the other component parts - the mylar bag is what makes the system work to it's top level of efficiency & longevity ...

your stored food is your insurance policy against what the world could do to you & yours - don't start short changing that policy and have nothing when the time comes ...
Actually, you make some valid points that I didn't consider in my post.

Food is--indeed--crucial to survival, and I can see your concerns about "going on the cheap" and having food that has deteriorated when a crisis comes.

I agree that a person should use higher quality bags for food storage instead of recycled potato chip bags.

Good catch.

Actually, you make some valid points that I didn't consider in my post.

Food is--indeed--crucial to survival, and I can see your concerns about "going on the cheap" and having food that has deteriorated when a crisis comes.

I agree that a person should use higher quality bags for food storage instead of recycled potato chip bags.

Good catch.

you have to VERY careful buying mylar bags off Amazon & EBay - sometimes there's little to no info about the bag construction >>>> you can actually get conned with the "mylar storage bags" being nothing but retail chip bags ... if there's no Mil thickness indicated - don't buy ....

you have to VERY careful buying mylar bags off Amazon & EBay - sometimes there's little to no info about the bag construction >>>> you can actually get conned with the "mylar storage bags" being nothing but retail chip bags ... if there's no Mil thickness indicated - don't buy ....
I agree with you.

Latest posts

Back