My wife and I are starting to prep. Have a few questions.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenn taylor

Reaction score
I am so bummed out about the election. I needed to make a bit more money before retiring in a few years. Now I feel like I have to move fast. Is there any good islands to move to that would be safe and not too expensive? 2nd question I don't want to buy a pistol. Would a lever action 22 rifle be enough?
Thanks GT.

I am so bummed out about the election. I needed to make a bit more money before retiring in a few years. Now I feel like I have to move fast. Is there any good islands to move to that would be safe and not too expensive? 2nd question I don't want to buy a pistol. Would a lever action 22 rifle be enough?
Thanks GT.
Welcome aboard GT. The lever action is better than nothing. Me personally, i like a semi. I guess it all depends on what your planning on using it for, Hunting ?

Kinda hard to conceal carry a lever action. I would look at a pistol and a rifle. If you are set on a lever action the old 30-30 standby is one to look at. The 30cal is good for both protection as well as hunting. In my opinion a 22cal is only good for a few tasks. Hunting small game and plinking or practicing. The ammo is really cheap for the 22 and if you get rifles that are the same brand in 2 different calibers you can use the 22 to practice with and when you pick up the larger rifle it will feel the same. Is there any reason why you dont want a pistol?

Kinda hard to conceal carry a lever action. I would look at a pistol and a rifle. If you are set on a lever action the old 30-30 standby is one to look at. The 30cal is good for both protection as well as hunting. In my opinion a 22cal is only good for a few tasks. Hunting small game and plinking or practicing. The ammo is really cheap for the 22 and if you get rifles that are the same brand in 2 different calibers you can use the 22 to practice with and when you pick up the larger rifle it will feel the same. Is there any reason why you dont want a pistol?
My wife scares me. She has fibromyalgia.I love her to death ,but her mood swings are large. Maybe I can get a 9 mil for myself and keep it hid. Could I get a short rifle I could hit someone at 50 feet pretty good. Maybe semi automatic. Sorry I am gun dumb a bit. It would be nice to rapid fire 3 to 6 shots at someone in 10 seconds. What caliber will put a man down with a well aimed shot or two? I hate to have to use them ,but at my rental building 10 minutes from our house are in a bad secion of town. Sometimes if I am outside there will be a guy come up from nowhere and ask me for money. They look scary. If the government blows it we will have armed poeple coming at you. So that why I'd like an automatic I can rattle off 3-8 shots at a heartbeat and scare some off. GT.

Well aimed shot from a pistol or rifle? Pistol, I would look at either 40cal or my fav 45acp. My person feeling is the 9 is too small, but that just me. I like big and slow when it comes to pistol ammo. A 9mm will put them down don't get me wrong but I have heard of the hopped up junkie taking 5-10 rounds before stopping. The 45acp will drop just about anyone with 1 shot. Being "gun dumb" is not a bad thing. I would suggest going to a good, reputable gun shop ask these same questions and even test fire a few before buying if that is an option. Try and find a shop that has been in business for along time and has a range where you can try different guns. Handguns are not a one size fits all proposition. There is also a lot of info on the 'net as well, but be careful what you read.
As for rifle, I don't think I would go any smaller the .223. If you want to get 8-10 shots off in a hurry a semi-auto will be the way to go. Look at the AR15 platform or AK47 for rapid fire. Provided that you don't live in an area of the country that limits magazine capacity, like the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, or New York, the AR and AK will hold 30 rounds. 100 round mags are also available for the AK but it does make it a bit heavy. Ammo for the AR is also cheap and plentiful, the AK is also readily available. But the AK will take a larger round, 7.62mm which is equivilent to a .308. Both calibers are VERY popular.

Thanks GT.
in my opinion,,, if your gonna use a .22 you'll be able to carry a lot more ammo or pre loaded clips, plus its easier to silence.

Dang I had a yearly physical two weeks ago and now looking at heart surgery in a few week unless they drag me in sooner. I know it sound a bit funny,but getting some guns take my mind off this health thing. Thanks! A lot of great advice. I am going to go by a few good gun shops. AR AK .223 is greek so far. Maybe I need a bigger gun to take care of the job. I had no idea people could take a few shots and still possibly shoot me or my family. I thought they would freak out and split. maybe if they didn't have a gun. If they are armed I'd rather get it over. Last question. I am a recording engineer loud pistols indoors kill my ears. Is it a bad idea if I went with a 9mm or 45 I could put a silencer on? Again thanks for the help I am looking forward to finding a range and some hands on! Glenn.

If your planing to keep it in your car I would go with something not to expensive also 9mm is good enough for the cops/military and they take down junkies all the time just get 147 grain hollow points like the cops use. Why do people spell California with a K? I don't get it what's the point I see this all the time

Dang I had a yearly physical two weeks ago and now looking at heart surgery in a few week unless they drag me in sooner. I know it sound a bit funny,but getting some guns take my mind off this health thing. Thanks! A lot of great advice. I am going to go by a few good gun shops. AR AK .223 is greek so far. Maybe I need a bigger gun to take care of the job. I had no idea people could take a few shots and still possibly shoot me or my family. I thought they would freak out and split. maybe if they didn't have a gun. If they are armed I'd rather get it over. Last question. I am a recording engineer loud pistols indoors kill my ears. Is it a bad idea if I went with a 9mm or 45 I could put a silencer on? Again thanks for the help I am looking forward to finding a range and some hands on! Glenn.

sorry to hear of the health issues. Better to get them fixed now than wait, the alternative is not good.
If you are gonna be shooting indoors, wear ear protection. Now, I know in the middle of a gun battle you cant just wave your arms and say hold on I need my ear protection, but for everday practice at the range find a good set of ear plugs or muffs. Depending on your budget ear protection can be had for $1.00 all the way to $5000 for custom fitted, amplified, precision protection

Are silencers illegal for pistols in Florida? I think in some states you can get them with a permit. Tomorrow I am going to another gun shop and to a shooting range for the first time. Really looking forward to it. GT.

First of all... Florida is pretty good with its gun laws. And talking about laws ... this is why I think people spell California with a "K" to show that the state is FUBAR (messed up); the spelling is messed up just as the state is messed up. As far as getting a lot of rounds off fast... you want to go with a semi-automatic. The potential problem with a semi-automatic is with the possibility of the weapon jamming. This is why some people prefer a revolver (I have both). If you want stopping power in a "normal" handgun, I think most people will say get a 45 (my next pistol). The handgun I plan on using for self defense is a 9mm loaded with Hydra-shok rounds. From what I read, these rounds are pretty powerful.

Where in Florida are you?

Enjoy the site! There are some good people here!

I used to live in central florida, and south florida. About 32 years total lived there. Yeah go to a gun shop and find one that will give you some instruction. Dont be afriad to pay for it!! Shoot a lot of rental guns at the shops and find what your confortable with. If you cant handle the .45 then it is not the caliber for you. The more you try the better a decision you can make. please DO NOT buy a gun the first day you shoot. Go shooting several times first. Also look into any shooting clubs in the area. Some of those take in new members and offer training classes and even open gun loaner days. Basically these are days other meebers can go in and use other peoples guns for free, you provide the ammo. And above all...PLEASE BE SAFE!! NEVER point a weapon at ANYTHING you arent willing to kill right then and there!

O and shotguns. Shotguns are your friend at close to medium range. Just the sound of a pump action shotgun being cocked and loaded has been known to make grown men soil themselves.

I used to live in central florida, and south florida. About 32 years total lived there. Yeah go to a gun shop and find one that will give you some instruction. Dont be afriad to pay for it!! Shoot a lot of rental guns at the shops and find what your confortable with. If you cant handle the .45 then it is not the caliber for you. The more you try the better a decision you can make. please DO NOT buy a gun the first day you shoot. Go shooting several times first. Also look into any shooting clubs in the area. Some of those take in new members and offer training classes and even open gun loaner days. Basically these are days other meebers can go in and use other peoples guns for free, you provide the ammo. And above all...PLEASE BE SAFE!! NEVER point a weapon at ANYTHING you arent willing to kill right then and there!

O and shotguns. Shotguns are your friend at close to medium range. Just the sound of a pump action shotgun being cocked and loaded has been known to make grown men soil themselves.
Great advice!

I will say to you that I have run into a lot of %*#@+ ASSHOLES at gun shops and at an outdoor range in Jacksonville ... just remember that they are not all ASSHOLES. Some of the places have nice, helpful people working for them that are knowledgeable. Keep looking for those shops! Handling a gun properly is something that is learned.

Remember, don't fear the gun BUT with that said... you HAVE to respect it! It can take a life.

Ok ,I have gone shooting several times now. It's great shooting a 9 mm pistol, Ar Ak, 22 long rifle ammo ( a pistol) Sorry thats whats the guy said. Several 38's and 22 cal. oh yea and a 45. Sorry again if I am gun dumb. My health issues outside this frikin heart operation I hoping to get it done in jan or feb is I was in a car accident about 3 weeks ago and my right hand is still a slight bit swollen a bit. The bigger pistols I shot this week are making my hand swell up worse is this normal? I mean do you get used to it after awhile? Also the longer barrel 22 pistols I am much better at hitting things.
thanks GT.

My advice is to lay off the larger caliber weapons until your hand heals. I would use the .22 and practice your technique. Get some lessons on correct shooting techniques. Don't be ashamed ... people get golf lessons, tennis lessons but as men we (at least I do) feel like I should be Audie Murphy and Alvin York rolled into one. For a swollen ankles I used to tell my soccer players (RICE) Rest it, Ice it (20 minutes on, 20 minutes off), Compress it (wrap it in a ACE bandage or get it properly taped up) and Elevate it (Above the heart ... I would rest my hand on top of my head). I don't know if you can take Advil or any other NSAIDs (ask your doctor). Of course I am not a doctor... just throwing out a few ideas

My advice since you are new to shooting would be to stick to a .22lr. It's a cheap round to shoot and easy to get

Thanks for the info. I soaked my hand in ice water for about 20 minutes last night. Much better today. Did the same ice soak 3 weeks ago 1 hour after my wreck. 1st accident in 40 years. i am pretty sure I just got carried away. got off my arse and got some x rays today. GT.

Thanks for the info. I soaked my hand in ice water for about 20 minutes last night. Much better today. Did the same ice soak 3 weeks ago 1 hour after my wreck. 1st accident in 40 years. i am pretty sure I just got carried away. got off my arse and got some x rays today. GT.
Glad to hear... Now once the swelling goes down you want to start using it and stretching it. It will grow stiff if you keep it immobilized too long. Start light and move up from there... If it swells up again, RICE.

So ... was it broken? My son went about 3 weeks with a broken arm (it was a complete break in the Radius). He didn't complain much (he was swimming with it and jumping on the trampling) but after 3 weeks of mentioning it I took him to the vet... I mean doctor and had it x-rayed. Man, did I ever feel HORRIBLE! I ended up splurging and getting him a water proof cast.

Latest posts

Back