My plan

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystic_dreamer30

Reaction score
Ok I'm not sure where to post this but as it stands. I don't have much or any real way to stock and prep. My ideal plan and what I'd eventually like: compleat collage to get better paying job 2 save for land 3 build a earthship home. 4 start up a aquponics farm ,open to the public as organic farm / see about allowing seasonal hunting. Any ideas on how I could bring this about sooner the cost to build the house will be 50,000 maybe more , iv been looking up small business grants

Well Mystic....................Why don't you have any way to prep ? ...................money ? Anybody got money ?

Yes money and the fact I still live at home. Im going to collage to learn how to draw blood for labs ect it starts out at paying 12 an hr. I just got my GED last April. So collage was not an option till recently

There seniors but mom broke her ankle iv been taking care of the house / cooking, shopping ect my dad works full time.

Prepping not an option? Nobody says you have to have a fully-equipped top of the line bug out bag tomorrow. You can do PLENTY to prep, even if you just worked at McDonalds. That isn't an excuse.

Backpack - WalMart $12

Decent Knife - WalMart $20 (sure, there are better, and there are cheaper, but spend at least this much)

Metal Water Bottles - I picked mine up at Goodwill for $1.50 each (these have loops on the top, so my dollar store carabiners clip them to my pack to hold them in.

(3) Cans of soup/stew $1 each

Rain Poncho - $1 at a dollar store (get a couple, or spend about $5 for a better poncho)

First Aid Kit - $10 ready made, or you can make your own, better kit, for about the same at a dollar store

Spare Socks - $1 at a dollar store

So, $50, and you've got a decent bug out bag. Tell me again how you can't prep now?

Sure, this is a pretty basic kit, but it's a start, and you can keep adding to it over time, or even build this up slowly. Having this kit is the FIRST thing any prepper does anyhow, even those of us with good bug in locations. Just having this, will make you that much more prepared for anything.

check out the teen forums too, there is more low budget advice there.
I would recommend a rain suit tho. poncho's don't really keep you dry if its raining and storming like crazy.

Sure you can do all sorts of neat things with poncho's like building a shelter but this person seems like a bug-in person.
As for advice on how to bring about your dream sooner? I dunno man, I do not know the back doors for things like that in Texas or anywhere in the USA for that matter. What I would recommend is to contact someone who has already done this (build an earthship) and ask for advice on how to achieve it. most people are not as petty as to refuse to sorta mentor you if your serious. ;)

Cerebus, thats a good point.

Mystic, important thing in everything in life is to plan. If you're talking about basic preps, anything is possible with a little planning.

Try something simple like just identifying the basic needs, immediate needs.

Gaz is quite right to suggest you build a BOB first. Maybe one for your mom as well. The same BOB could serve both of you.

Then once you've settled that, look into the others, acquire knowledge now. Knowledge is probably your greatest asset when the SHTF.

Learning to fish will help to feed you if you live near a river. Learning to make various stuff will help you with bartering later.

So the keyword is plan plan plan! then do do do!

if still confused on what to do.might start writeing down on what to do and get..then when you feel like that you've writen down what you need to do.then put it in what you consider to be the correct ordor.
welcome aboard from a fellow texan :)

Mystic, on your plan, do you have any idea where you want to live? That's kind of a key consideration. Obviously, you have a lot of time to consider it, but something to keep in mind. Some things you may not have considered, look into high wind areas. Many ranchers in Texas make a lot more money just allowing power companies to put up wind turbines on their land, than they would ever make growing or herding anything. Granted, such land will be pricey in areas where this is already in heavy use, but if you can identify property in an area that may soon be tapped for it, you could bank.

That's just one suggestion, to show you how your location choice can really impact your plans. Also, make sure you're at least 50 miles from a nuclear power plant (100 miles would be even better).

another thing to think about,in which what gazrok posted reminded me of it..might try looking into the difrrent phone companys that have cell phone towers.they'll rent a certain amount of property from you.in which they'll install a cell phone tower and the strucure with the cell phone computer in it.i lived in ohio for 4 years.and one couple rented a certain amount of land to at&t for $500.00 a month.and they also got free cell phones with unlimted minutes for calls and text..

Ok I'm not sure where to post this but as it stands. I don't have much or any real way to stock and prep. My ideal plan and what I'd eventually like: compleat collage to get better paying job 2 save for land 3 build a earthship home. 4 start up a aquponics farm ,open to the public as organic farm / see about allowing seasonal hunting. Any ideas on how I could bring this about sooner the cost to build the house will be 50,000 maybe more , iv been looking up small business grants

So far LOVE the plan so far!!
A few pointers I have for you...since I have a plan slightly similar to yours.

Do as much schooling as you can! More schooling=more money so you can afford all your prepper dreams :)

Earthship homes can be very expensive starting out...not all but some (I looked into it for awhile), maybe you would want to start out with something smaller. I have family land available and me and the Mr. are thinking of putting a 1 room log cabin in so we can start doing weekend projects up there...we want it tiny and a fireplace thats about it. Then later we are going to put in a much larger home.

I love the organic aquaponics idea! Food plus income, love it.

I would be very reserved about the hunting idea....I had though about it too, but I dont want people that familar with my land. I wouldnt want them thinking it would be a safe place they could hunt and survive....when it would be a valuable (maybe even necessary) resource to me.

I was reading a blog pointed to me from a Singapore Forum. SHTFSchool.com ... you can try doing some reading there.

You don't have to buy his life time membership, though it isn't too expensive at USD 29 for lifetime membership. Some of his ideas really make a lot of sense.

I'm not affiliated or anything, just think his ideas are quite good...

Prepping not an option? Nobody says you have to have a fully-equipped top of the line bug out bag tomorrow. You can do PLENTY to prep, even if you just worked at McDonalds. That isn't an excuse.

Backpack - WalMart $12

Decent Knife - WalMart $20 (sure, there are better, and there are cheaper, but spend at least this much)

Metal Water Bottles - I picked mine up at Goodwill for $1.50 each (these have loops on the top, so my dollar store carabiners clip them to my pack to hold them in.

(3) Cans of soup/stew $1 each

Rain Poncho - $1 at a dollar store (get a couple, or spend about $5 for a better poncho)

First Aid Kit - $10 ready made, or you can make your own, better kit, for about the same at a dollar store

Spare Socks - $1 at a dollar store

So, $50, and you've got a decent bug out bag. Tell me again how you can't prep now?

Sure, this is a pretty basic kit, but it's a start, and you can keep adding to it over time, or even build this up slowly. Having this kit is the FIRST thing any prepper does anyhow, even those of us with good bug in locations. Just having this, will make you that much more prepared for anything.

After days of avoiding roadblocks, roving bandits, and starving wild dogs...you stumble on, and finally reach your bug-out location. Your stomach aches for food...ah, you've got those three cans of stew that you packed...now let's just...DOH! Forgot a can opener! Just sayin.' =D

After days of avoiding roadblocks, roving bandits, and starving wild dogs...you stumble on, and finally reach your bug-out location. Your stomach aches for food...ah, you've got those three cans of stew that you packed...now let's just...DOH! Forgot a can opener! Just sayin.' =D

I don't understand a few things! Why would you wait so long to head out to your BOL? And if your BOL is that far that it takes you days to get there, then you should maybe move either your currant home location or your BOL! A lot of common sense needs to be used when you pack your BOB!! Your can opener would be in your bag, if you do that!

Dear, I was obviously being facetious ...lighten up a little bit? Also, there was no mention on purchasing a can opener, which is what I was making fun of. Of course he would have thought of that. =D

In other news, this may have been mentioned before, but I haven't seen it yet; including seeds in your BOB? Maybe one of you more seasoned preppers can chime in on that. Good idea? Bad?

No need! We're preppers! Don't need a can opener! I can open one up on a rock or concrete.

Thanks for the vid, I saw you post this somewhere else but couldn't find it. What if we forgot to pack our P-38 opener (or lost it) and our bug-out spot doesn't have any concrete? I'm figuring you can grind a can against a large rock and erode its lining in a similar fashion, but since it is an uneven surface it'd probably take quite a while. I can see myself getting frustrated to the point of having steam coming out of my ears and smashing the can against some rocks, haha.

Any ideas would be welcome.

--Ian

Latest posts

Back