My new time and money pit.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastenerWesterner

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
For what the asking price was, (get it out of here), I couldn’t resist. I have $120 into it for the new tires to pull it home

I have walked around and made a list for the boat, motor, and trailer. $300 mostly for the trailer without getting into the motor.

And I can pull it with the smaller vehicles.

8C603DDC-DF90-4DE9-ACE7-38406D5CA053.jpeg

For what the asking price was, (get it out of here), I couldn’t resist. I have $120 into it for the new tires to pull it home

I have walked around and made a list for the boat, motor, and trailer. $300 mostly for the trailer without getting into the motor.

And I can pull it with the smaller vehicles.

View attachment 13726
That's a nice looking boat, and a dang good price. One suggestion, I'd recommend changing out those little tires with some 14" ones even if you have to change the axle and fenders to accommodate them.

That's a nice looking boat, and a dang good price. One suggestion, I'd recommend changing out those little tires with some 14" ones even if you have to change the axle and fenders to accommodate them.
I would think about that If it was going to be a forever boat.. I had one much nicer but my son got it in the divorce. Dumbass sold it for college drinking money.
I think this outfit is worth 1500 minimum all up in running. That’s why I was willing to take the chance.
At worst I can get a couple years of duck hunting and fishing out of it.

Lots of times the owners get too old to use them anymore. Good idea to repack the wheel bearings and go through the motor. I've always liked the "V" hull boats more than the flat bottomed ones.
I take the motor off mine and carry it on a cattle rack because they are so light. I stated out lifting it up there by hand, but then I found this at Harbor Freight and mounted it on the front bar of the cattle rack. 2500 lb. ATV/Utility Winch with Wire Rope
It'll pull the boat out of the water and up onto the rack. Then just strap it down and drive away. I mounted a pulley from a garage door under the rear bar of the rack so I can thread the winch cable through it, connect it to the front of the boat, and it'll pull the boat off of the rack as well. It has a wireless remote so you don't have to dodge a control cable.

Lots of times the owners get too old to use them anymore. Good idea to repack the wheel bearings and go through the motor. I've always liked the "V" hull boats more than the flat bottomed ones.
I take the motor off mine and carry it on a cattle rack because they are so light. I stated out lifting it up there by hand, but then I found this at Harbor Freight and mounted it on the front bar of the cattle rack. 2500 lb. ATV/Utility Winch with Wire Rope
It'll pull the boat out of the water and up onto the rack. Then just strap it down and drive away. I mounted a pulley from a garage door under the rear bar of the rack so I can thread the winch cable through it, connect it to the front of the boat, and it'll pull the boat off of the rack as well. It has a wireless remote so you don't have to dodge a control cable.
Got the motor and boat off today. Gonna start with the trailer and go from the ground up. The boat has never seen a rock. Still gonna sink, no drain plug. 😀.
2006 compliant Honda 15h motor. We will see what that will entail. I am used to OMC motors.
FB698951-B206-426A-9B59-67904AB165A7.jpeg

Still high on the buy...
My last one was a remodel version of that. 16ft deep V that had been tricked out for Salmon fishing. Only problem, too small for 8ft rollers on Lake Ontario.

i converted into a clone of that boat and still kept the outrigger, down rigger rod holders. Had the best of both worlds.

Very nice looking boat. A 15h will keep you moving fast even if you're carrying a lot of cargo or people. Around here the V hulls are very difficult to find. Probably couldn't find one for less than a grand.
I am not into too small a boat anymore for a big body of water anymore. Certainly not taking it in the Pacific
Will work nice for a little fishing. Trying to figure out an adaptation for the labs to get in and out for a little duck hunting.
A week of evaluating, the trailer needs the most. About 300, including a repaint. Boat needs a drainplug. Motor needs a fuel line from tank to motor and motor muff before I can start to evaluate it.

Looks like fun! I love a good project, especially when you can play in it when it's done. Are you going to fit any radios or depth sounder gear? I know it's only small but a marine radio would be nice and something to listen to in the background. I imagine there are some cheap ones SH out there. The antenna would be the trick, a fold down one obviously.

I dug this up.
My riveted boat is made of heavier gauge aluminum, has more reinforcing, and has protruding hull strakes that enable it to turn on a dime. My welded boat is far lower in quality, handles poorly, and is showing stress marks on the hull from hitting the waves.
https://forums.iboats.com/threads/aluminum-riveted-boat.25180/

Last edited:
" My riveted boat is made of heavier gauge aluminum, has more reinforcing, and has protruding hull strakes that enable it to turn on a dime. My welded boat is far lower in quality, handles poorly, and is showing stress marks on the hull from hitting the waves. "

The rivets eventually start loosening up from hitting the waves. At some point in time leaks will begin to develop and rivets will need to be replaced.

Looks like fun! I love a good project, especially when you can play in it when it's done. Are you going to fit any radios or depth sounder gear? I know it's only small but a marine radio would be nice and something to listen to in the background. I imagine there are some cheap ones SH out there. The antenna would be the trick, a fold down one obviously.

I dug this up.
My riveted boat is made of heavier gauge aluminum, has more reinforcing, and has protruding hull strakes that enable it to turn on a dime. My welded boat is far lower in quality, handles poorly, and is showing stress marks on the hull from hitting the waves.
https://forums.iboats.com/threads/aluminum-riveted-boat.25180/
I've got a Hewescraft River Runner riveted jet boat with an 85 hp out board. The rivets have all been coated and they dont leak at all. I've got this boat outfitted with a GPS, depth finder, compass, fish finder and trolling motor.
My last boat was a welded 21 foot Jetcraft jet boat with a 350 V8 and a 9.9 hp trolling motor. The only time it ever leaked was when I'd forget to shut the petcocks on the manifold. Almost sunk it twice. In addition to full electronics, chart plotter, down riggers, crab/shrimp pot pullers I also carried a chainsaw and a parachute for running Alaskan rivers. It was common to get hung up on a gravel bar heading up river. Just toss the parachute over the stern and the parachute would pull the boat out to deeper water, usually.

Great deal on the V Hull. No doubt boats are a money pit but since you got it at such a bargain you should be able to play a little with it and then make a profit when bored. Pontoon boats are my favorite as I can take the dogs comfortably and grill a steak while relaxing. But honestly unless I live on the water I won’t own a boat anymore. Even though it costs a little bit for a run on the water it’s still much more economical for me to just rent one to play with for a day and walk away when done. I do have two kayaks here that I use occasionally though.

Was near a BPS today and started picking up some parts for the trailer. Really frustrating when you can’t just go to store and get everything. I guess that why Amazon is taking over.
I never had a problem with rivets loosening up in my old boat. And it was 20 yrs old when I got it. Lake Ontario waves were nothing to sneeze at.
Bright side, I found they make a swim ladder for dogs. Ducks, here we come!
Saves having to find shoreline to hunt on.

Was near a BPS today and started picking up some parts for the trailer. Really frustrating when you can’t just go to store and get everything. I guess that why Amazon is taking over.
I never had a problem with rivets loosening up in my old boat. And it was 20 yrs old when I got it. Lake Ontario waves were nothing to sneeze at.
Bright side, I found they make a swim ladder for dogs. Ducks, here we come!
Saves having to find shoreline to hunt on.
Well, I've got a buddy who I help replace rivets on his Starcraft.

Where I'm from, there are lots of lakes, lots of retired people, and lots of bass boats and pontoon boats parked in backyards with grass growing around them and flat tires. There's a big difference between dragging a big boat to the lake after spending a ton on gas, and loading a small boat into the bed of your truck with a few gallons of gas. You can load the boat into your truck, go to work, and then go fishing after you get off. In the fall, I've kept my little boat upside down in the back of my truck for a couple months at a time just in case I get a few days or hours off so I can go fishing.
Part of fun is to be able to put in the boat without needing a ramp. Just camp on the side of a lake or river, drag the boat over, and drop it in.
I've had three larger boats, bigger than twenty feet, all of them good buys, but I only kept them for around a year so I could refurbish them and then sell them, which was more fun than fishing with them.

Years ago I wanted a boat. So I consulted my friend's Dad who has had many boats in the 40 years I've known him.
His advice:
Bury a glass 5 gallon jug in the back yard. Every time you think you might like to go fishing or water ski, go out and put $150 in the jar. In a year or two, take all that money and go charter a fishing boat for the day. You'll have your fill of fishing for a while.

Never bought the boat.

Just an update.
350 total on the trailer. 3 months waiting for the hubs. It pulls good. I brought home a 15ft piece of artificial turf on it.
$8 for a drain plug for the boat.
$100 for fuel line.
Started tinkering with the motor. Started thinking, why don’t I take it somewhere. Even if it’s $500, that brings my total to 1k. Craigslist tells me it’s worth 3. It saves having to wait for parts and figuring out a new motor system. And I could be using it now.
13405FFA-6AFC-4373-9950-07B9B8985720.jpeg

Latest posts

Back