My Knives

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy Preppers,

there is always talk about "what knife should i buy" with the most appropriate answer being "what are you going to use it for"

I am by no means a "knife expert" so i thought id post a few pics of my main Knives and let you guys know what there purpose is.

First off... I have my two machetes.
Bottom one, is your run of the mill, $30ish dollar disposal store machete. Really poor quality, not sharp and pretty useless.
I have sharpened this with a flapper disc on a 4" grinder to actually put an edge on it, then sharpened it with a traditional sharpening stone.
Its now somewhat sharp and useful. I only use this for general hacking. Hacking where i wouldnt want to use my good Machete in fear of damaging or blunting it.

Top one in this pic is my Gerber Machete.
Good quality, sharp and just keeps cutting. Main purpose of this one is hiking. Cutting at scrub etc.
From memory, this one was about $60 when i got it. Comes with a Sheath, not fussed on it, it is actually pretty useless for anything other than storage.

20130811_104338_zps78290a3b.jpg

My main personal knife, as most have seen is my MilSpec knife.
This knife, in SHTF will be on my person. Its big, heavy, really sharp and very intimidating. This knifes main purpose would be self defense. I have sharpened this at 20deg to ensure it is a good, reliable edge.
This would mainly be used to cut game, hunting etc. The design of the sheath makes it also really comfortable to carry. the small pocket on the front, i store my folder (folding knife) in.

20130811_104412_zps23272010.jpg

Next we have my Gerber/BG Multi tool.
This is an awesome quality multi tool. All tools are sharp and tight. This would be stored on or in my BOB.

Also here, is my Folder. This is made by Buffalo river (Shooters here will identify the brand) This folder is extremely sharp, at 17deg its sharpened at a similar angle to a razor blade. Not as good for a general purpose knife BUT in SHTF would slice almost anything near instantly. At this angle, it does require maintenance to maintain its edge. No sheath with this one, it lives in the front pocket on my MilSpec sheath.
It also has a seat belt cutter and glass breaker on the end. the style of this folder means you can open and close discreetly, one handed.

20130811_104504_zpse8d75575.jpg

Lastly, is my Cloak set. These also run a 17deg edge. Razor blade like for maximum damage each and every hit. Practicing on the Gum tree in the yard, i have had to sharpen a few times but they seem to be fairly reliable (edge wise)
SHTF, id prob attach these to my BOB. More a self defense weapon, these have very little use outside of that.
They could be used as a general purpose knife, b ut would eventually wreck them by doing this.

20130811_104547_zpse1b719f8.jpg

Hope this has given you guys some idea as to why you would purchase a knife.

My setup is slightly different, you'll almost never see me without the ones to the left of the Fasthawk, they're my edc. The rest are my pack tools.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391653304.518952.jpg

I also have this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391653754.680983.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391653837.675415.jpg

It's ozark trail from Wally world

Almost none of the stuff I see in these posts would I use or buy unless I had no other choice. Gerber should stick to multi tools, Their machetes and knives have been recalled more times than I can count. The spoon, knife, fork set is cool. The SOG fast hawk has nearly killed a friend of mine when his wife was chopping with it the head broke away from the body and imbedded an inch from his neck in the tree behind him! There are several videos of it failing basic strength tests.

Most of them were given to me for free so I wasn't expecting amazing quality. Ik it's not ideal, but so far they've held up and they've been used and abused a little bit but not enough to break

I pretty much carry just what I'd use....(whether in the woods, or with my BOB in the apocalypse)...

A rather regular machete...(it works, has held up well, etc.)
A combat knife (full tang, can't recall the make, but it too hasn't had any issues)
A small folding knife (good for eating, small tasks, the kind your grandfather probably had in his pocket)
A Swiss-style knife (everyday carry)
A multi-tool (everyday carry)

Anything else would pretty much be overkill (for me anyhow)...

Just got a Fasthawk. Wasn't planning on using it for chopping so much as throwing/melee defense, due to the small cutting surface on the head. I really like the weight of it for a little distance work. My wife got the SOG Jungle Primitive, also primarily hand-to-hand defense, but the saw on the back seems to work fairly well.

The fast hawk is notorious for breaking during even common use, buyer beware!! See above posted video tomahawk fail.

Did some testing on the Fasthawk and the Jungle Primitive and we were very pleased with the results. Wrapped the entire length of the handle on the hawk with paracord because the grip was a little slick as it came in the package, but otherwise no complaints. Not trying to chop a brick with it... It effed up some coconuts though, and my picnic table. The Jungle Primitive is extremely light and my wife wields that thing like its Sting. I was really impressed by her skills tonight, she's a natural.

The only problem I've had with my Fasthawk is that it needs a little maintenance(tightening and cleaning) after a while, I use mine for yard work and a little throwing occasionally

Latest posts

Back