my knives by default

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is that bias again, if it aint made in the good old USA its rubbish.
well I can tell you it isn't true, I have many knives and some from all over the world and none has failed me yet.(the
Yes there are places in the world outside of the US that are legendary for their blades. Toledo, Solingen, Sheffield, Damascus, Sakai. In fact, Bowie knives were first mass produced in Sheffield. Jim Bowie himself ordered knives from George Wolstenholme in Stannington.

But last time I checked, they weren't making Buck knives in Sheffield. :rolleyes:
And that's the only brand we are talking about.

Last edited:
Yes there are places in the world outside of the US that are legendary for their blades. Toledo, Solingen, Sheffield, Damascus, Sakai. In fact, Bowie knives were first mass produced in Sheffield. Jim Bowie himself ordered knives from George Wolstenholme in Stannington.

But last time I checked, they weren't making Buck knives in Sheffield. :rolleyes:
And that's the only brand we are talking about.

No better steel than Sheffield steel.

I’ve personally broken and have had too many bucks fail (aka lock folded over onto my skin) to ever trust my life to one, and I’ve owned 6 in total. 2 were fixed blade both broke and 4 folded 3 of 4 lock failures #4 just fell apart. I’m hard on a blade. I believe that only so many knife makers actually give a crap about their customers fingers. Hence why my knife snobbery. The brands I recommend I have abused the crap out of. No failures so far. Doesn’t mean that you probably can’t find one or 2 out there. Just means it’s way less likely with the brands I recommend. I also notice that not many others here have any complaints about the brands I recommend. Yet there’s plenty of complaints about Buck from all walks of life. Hence my personal ban and recommendation to never buy one their products. Doesn’t mean that there isn’t one or 1000 good knifes made by buck. Just means I’m not willing to risk it.

Here's a knife I just made for a friend. Coffin Handle Bowie, a shade under 17". The blade is D2 steel and the handle is golden ebony. The color case hardened look is actually the scale from heat treating. I decided it looked pretty cool so I left it on instead of polishing it off. I had it deep cryo treated (-300 degrees F)
2fWzrIQ.png

cqqE17G.jpg

XZlxrxw.png

Last edited:
The wife and I stopped at the grocery store yesterday and while she was picking up some groceries I was looking at knives. There were 2 Buck sheath knives in the case; mod 118 and mod 120. One was priced at $99 and the other at $120. The manager offered both to me for $130. I couldn't resist.
I've had Buck knives since I was a kid and they've never failed me yet. And they're still made in the USA.

I had a Buck 120 "General" but found it was too unwieldy for skinning deer, and not hefty enough for utility stuff like cutting branches at the deer stand. Awesome knife, but I gave it away.

Here is the Buck 120 next to a Ka-Bar. I found the Ka-Bar better at just about everything. I suppose the 120 would be a good pig sticker.
CKZHoo2.png

Last edited:
The wife and I stopped at the grocery store yesterday and while she was picking up some groceries I was looking at knives. There were 2 Buck sheath knives in the case; mod 118 and mod 120. One was priced at $99 and the other at $120. The manager offered both to me for $130. I couldn't resist.
I've had Buck knives since I was a kid and they've never failed me yet. And they're still made in the USA.
I have quite a few Buck knives myself. The first knife I ever bought other than small pocket knives was a Buck 119.

I have one machete a Buck pocket knife one generic folding utility knife and a hand made skinner that I made myself,they all have their uses but at my age (63yrs)..I don't want to have to use one for self defense

when I was younger I would BULL my way through just about anything,I've got my scars to show for it,,,now I avoid conflict as much as possible my health would be better if I had done this sooner

My first knife was a Buck pocket knife, and that was over 50 years ago. They've always served me well. I don't dig fox holes with my knives and I don't play Rambo. One of my favorite Bucks is a skinner that has skinned hundreds of beaver over the years and will likely skin hundreds more. Another favorite knife brand that has always served me well is Case. Between Case, Buck and a few other brands I have skinned thousands of animals, all without failure with the knife.
I realize that only having 50+ years of trapping, hunting and outdoor experience doesn't qualify me as a knife "expert", but I know what works for me. And I know what type, style and quality of knives that I like. But like everything else, everyone has their own opinion.

Latest posts

Back