My Go Bag.How am I doing so far?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sampson39

Reaction score
Hey everyone, So having done some research I have compiled a list of everything I felt would be great to have in my bug out bag(s) I am very eager for criticism so please let me know if this is over ambitious (if im not traveling light enough, I currently do not yet have a bug out location which I realize can play a significant role in how I travel) or not enough. Thank you for any input!

Survival Go Bag: B= Back Pack }water proof
D= Duffel bag }water proof

Water Filtration (straws (B)/ tablets(D))
Water containment (bulk containment (D) and personal (B))
rations (D)
fire starter (B)
waterproof matches (D)
med kit (D)
hand/finger saw (B)
lighting(with and without infrared) (B)
survival knife (B+D)
survival hatchet (D)
blade sharpener (D)
Rope (fasciners)/paracord (D+B)
insulated blanket (D)
compass/gps/map (B)
multi tool (B)
signaling mirror(B)
binoculars (B)
Duct tape (B)
crank radio (D)
Ammo (B+D)
sewing kit (D)
batteries (B+ D)
washing wipes (D)
folding walking stick (B)
rain ponchos (D)
Folding Tac shovel (B)
Mes Kit (D)
Goggles (D)
Gloves (B)
Handcuffs( or some sort of personal restraint) (B)
Silent Weapons (blow gun, slingshot) (D)
Alcohol for bartering (D)

How many people are you planning for? Each person should have their own pack in a weight they can handle. Stay with the essentials. If you dont have a bug out plan then plan a Get Home Bag. Bugging out with no distination = refugee! Do you have family close enough to bug out to? That would be a starting point. You need to scrutinize each item and think what the possibility of use would be. Why handcuffs? If you covering ground you wont have time to take prisoners. What is the shovel for? It is heavy. Alcohol for bartering? It is heavy to carry. Remember ounces add up to pounds in a hurry. You dont say if you plan on traveling by foot, bike, vehicle. Extra supplies are great in a vehicle but if you have to ditch the car your pack should be the only thing you carry.
Start with these areas and build from there:
Water
Food (3+ days worth of calories, preferabley no cooking stuff)
Hygiene
Medical (depending on personal needs)
Shelter (tarp & hammock are light)
Security (one firearm and OC spray)

Instead of carrying handcuffs take zip ties heavy duty ones. They work just as well and you can carry probably 2 dozen sets within the same weight of the cuffs. Or just a few to lighten the load. Socks! Neeeed socks for wet feet. Nothing better than a fresh pair of socks. Maybe underwear? What's the ammo for? Canteen cup or something to boil water in!

Shelter, Cloths, good rain gear with fleece. Oh like kcdevildog said, socks ! You will find you yourself changing it a lot. Try out your stuff also, last thing you want is to go use it and it sucks.

I see your in Tampa FL. you better bring some skeeter spray!!

thank ya everyone for your input! The tac shovel folds up small and is light weight so it wouldn't be cumbersome and i figure would be great to have for constructing shelter and in an extreme case, a secondary type of weapon. the handcuffs (or now i have decided to use the heavy duty zip ties, thank you KC) would be good for if in a group there was someone who needed to be restrained to help keep danger from the group. I diddnt plan on bringing more than two or three small bottles of liquor for bartering- just having enough to trade with a person or two for something i may be in need of. I am rather embarrassed that of everything i forgot to put socks and underwear...they are now on the list. thanks guys!

I don't know, the handcuffs are kinda kinky and can be useful. Adding zip ties to the handcuffs would be useful too because you can use it for other things.

How about a CAT tourniquet? Good for one hand uses. And a Fresnel lens. Compact fishing gear, hooks and line?

One thing I put in my medical preps is an Israeli Bandage. It can be applied by the user easily. I also recommend the CAT tourniquet. These items should be in everyones vehicle at the very least. They would come in handy in the event of a bad car crash especially out in the sticks.

i bought 3 new items at wallgreens today

003.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 8
Here is my impression. I've read a lot that would indicate you have a good assemblage however here is my personal opinion from living out of a bag.
Water Filtration (straws (B)/ tablets(D))

Water containment

..........(bulk containment (D)............ don't worry about this...

and personal (B))

rations (D)

...........fire starter (B)
waterproof matches (D).......... consider lighters...

.......med kit (D).......... may be useful but if weight were a concern pointless.

...hand/finger saw (B)...... likely of little use but light..

.......lighting(with and without infrared) (B)... for weight reasons probably not too useful, however I have a light on my walkie talkie so it is just an LED, and works well enough to see in the dark. I'm currious why you have infared lighting?

...survival knife (B+D)
survival hatchet (D).... I would go with one or the other if you are trying to reduce weight. I'd go with the hatchet.

...blade sharpener (D).... this is not too useful for a short term bug out.. now long term bug out perhaps but you must question how much longer you can extend things beyond your rations... are you going to need to resharpen your blade if you don't have food?

...Rope (fasciners)/paracord (D+B)... a little bit of paracord wrapped around a handle is probably more than enough.. any more will likely be extra weight.

...insulated blanket (D).... I'm geussing you are talking thermal space blanket.. not sure where you are, this can have use but is not essential.

...compass/gps/map (B)... these are good to have if you know where you are going. But I would not rely on them. Memorize the terrain you are on, the sattalitte imagery and notable points. GPS may not be useable in a real SHTF.. maps are better if you make your own notes on them and have presurveyed the terrain. and have checked satalite imagery including elevation/contour maps. It helps to also check geological information, forestry service tree vegetation inormation etc.. as these will be much more useful than a road map or cycling map. transfering those informations often found in google earth add on files.

...multi tool (B)... useful but probably extra weight

..signaling mirror(B).. mostly pointless.

...binoculars (B)... useful but way too much weight. a small monocle is probably better

...Duct tape (B)

...crank radio (D)...

Ammo (B+D)

..sewing kit (D)... very limited use. for a short term bugout this probably only going to be a pain.

..batteries (B+ D)... don't

..washing wipes (D).. use water. and get a portable water filter

..folding walking stick (B).. this will eat up energy. I would question this, if in a forested area get a stick when you need one. If this walking stick were usuable for your shleter etc.. different story none the less this as just a walking stick is not worth it.

...rain ponchos (D).... nice to have backup but I would consider having water proof clothing.. I do carry a poncho that is also suppose to be usuable as a small shelter I have two extra coloured ponchos but they arnt in my bob. My outers are water proof/resistant and my poncho is a secondary. IMO this is enough.

...Folding Tac shovel (B).. this can be useful however imo you won't find digging useful in a bugout in which a shovel is required. For other things like longer term shelter construction it can be useful but your wiresaw and hatchet will be far more useful in a wooded area. These can be of use but for the weight not worth it.

..Mes Kit (D)... pointless. you can use two sticks as chopsticks.

..Goggles (D)... these can be useful but not essential.. I do have goggles so I don't poke my eyes out in the woods when moving fast.. you are forgetting ear plugs though.

Gloves (B) what type of gloves?

...Handcuffs( or some sort of personal restraint) (B).. I have these for my bug in.. I probably would not take them for a bug out. especially handcuffs. anytype of confrontation I am having in a bugout.. which to me is an extreme emergency will probably be a lethal confrontation. If anyone tries to attack me it is a threat to my life. I will not be taking prisoners.

..Silent Weapons (blow gun, slingshot) (D)... these are of limited use and I would not take them for weight reasons. now I would consider a sling shot for hunting as it is good for deploying hunting aids like scents but it is too heavy for a bob.

...Alcohol for bartering (D)... I'm not an alchoholic, I would see alchohol as a fuel source but that is limited use in a wooded area. I would put oil in its place... such as olive oil, or one that can burn without too much smoke.. because it is cals.

Those are my impressions. I like to travel light though.

A full size bug net.. or head bag is something I have as a priority up here for my kit.

sea salt... is something I would add.
In place of the med kit I might go..
sugar or cornsyrup is something I might add, or honey for food and sealing wounds.
also you might want russian foot wraps for use as socks as well as bandages (but have actual modern socks too or other purposes.
most medicines can be gotten from trees and bracket fungi you might need in a med kit.

Latest posts

Back