My First Year With Keeping Chickens: What I Learned

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice article. Keeping chickens is one of the things that keeps me sane. I'll take my lawn chair down and settle outside the runs and just watch them. They are the funniest creatures to watch. You can imagine the personalities they'd have as people and which hen is about to get pimp slapped by another one. When you go in to collect eggs and to feed, they all cluster around like cannibalistic children waiting for an offering. Chickens are just cool and good for your blood pressure.

I find it funny how they can all cluck and "talk" together, but when you go out to check, they just look at you like "what"

Don't you know it. It's like they're waiting for you to do a trick to entertain them. Our German Shepherd has adopted hubs' ducklings. Right now, they're in a pen thing in the bathroom and Nudge sleeps right next to them and they're constantly reaching over the edge of the pen to touch her with their bills. I need to take pictures because I think this will be Nudge's last summer, she's 12 and that's pretty old for a Shepherd and I know her joints are hurting her.

Don't you know it. It's like they're waiting for you to do a trick to entertain them. Our German Shepherd has adopted hubs' ducklings. Right now, they're in a pen thing in the bathroom and Nudge sleeps right next to them and they're constantly reaching over the edge of the pen to touch her with their bills. I need to take pictures because I think this will be Nudge's last summer, she's 12 and that's pretty old for a Shepherd and I know her joints are hurting her.
I know what you mean, Kay who is my Akita is going to be 14 this year. She has been slowing down, but she has been a wonderful dog throughtout the years. They become like your kids

Any pet if its looked after properly,will over the years become part of the family and as such ,we take it badly when anything happens to them, unfortunately they cant say hey Dad or Mom I don't feel well or I got an ache .

That is so true Mike and they trust us to know when they need help.

I don't think it's hip dysplacia with the Shepherd, I think it's more of an all over ache. She doesn't have a problem with her rear end so much as just the groaning and moaning on damp, cold mornings and being stiff. She gets her baby aspirin and glucosomine every day. Now that it's getting warmer she must be feeling better because she makes a point to go jump in the horse troughs a few times a day and is running around like a pup again.

For your shepard, it could be the pup is getting old. Also dont forget animals can get lymes disease also. It can do alot of damage in a dog the same as a human if gone untreated. Just something to think about.

I think it's old age. She's 12 and that's a good, long life for Shepherds especially since she had a very bad beginning. She is one of our rescues and has made a wonderful recovery. Her first 2 years of life sucked, but she's been living high on the hog since then.

Latest posts

Back