My EDC

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the hand is improving every day I can work the slide again accuracy is in the shitter,but that is all in the grip on the gun and just a matter of time hopefully the hand will recover to the point of being able to grip and aim as I did before the injury,,we will see how we are a month from now

THE 1911 GETS TO STAY
I'm glad your hand is doing better! I hope it continues to regain strength and dexterity and does hurt too much.

I recently (finally) purchased a 38 special revolver. I went with a revolver because I have trouble with the slide on a semiautomatic even though I have two good hands (I have small hands and apparently not very strong), so you're still doing better than me.
I am not working on getting confident using it and with TX new concealed carry laws I will carry it once I become confident. For the longest time I was reluctant to buy a handgun and my town was fairly safe anyway. Recently, though, there have been a lot of incidents that make me want a little extra protection. There have been a lot of shootings (at least a couple every week) including where someone was shot at the park I used to take a walk in several times a week. I no longer live in that neighborhood but still it scares me a little.

KateMTx, Please get to a good range and have a qualified Range Master work with you. Learn good grip, stance and shot placement. Once you have those down, you can work on concealed carry and situational awareness. Happy you are taking a positive step to improve your personal protection.

KateMTx, Please get to a good range and have a qualified Range Master work with you. Learn good grip, stance and shot placement. Once you have those down, you can work on concealed carry and situational awareness. Happy you are taking a positive step to improve your personal protection.

I actually have advised 2 couple friends not to purchase. My first question- are you prepared to use it. One hesitated, she didn’t, and that’s the way I think it would have went.
The second couple was he said yes (and I have known them 30 years). I told him then make sure your wife knows how to use it.. The 12g is gonna knock her petite body on her butt.
I actually fear for some of these new gun owners. But you gave solid advice.

I do not recommend 12 ga shotguns for home defense, unless all parties are big enough in stature to handle the weight and recoil of a 12 ga.. If one member of the family is petite, then a 20 ga or even a 410 is good for home defense. Some think a 410 is underpowered but at close range and the proper load / shot placement, it is very lethal and easier to control. Control is the key, because if you can control the weapon, then you can hit the target. Even 22lr can be lethal, if the shooter does their part. I have watched males trying to teach petite Ladies to shoot big bore rifle or shotguns, it is not a pretty picture. Get what works for the shooter, not what is popular. Shot placement wins over caliber.

I do not recommend 12 ga shotguns for home defense, unless all parties are big enough in stature to handle the weight and recoil of a 12 ga.. If one member of the family is petite, then a 20 ga or even a 410 is good for home defense. Some think a 410 is underpowered but at close range and the proper load / shot placement, it is very lethal and easier to control. Control is the key, because if you can control the weapon, then you can hit the target. Even 22lr can be lethal, if the shooter does their part. I have watched males trying to teach petite Ladies to shoot big bore rifle or shotguns, it is not a pretty picture. Get what works for the shooter, not what is popular. Shot placement wins over caliber.
Best gun related advice award of the decade. Well done. Petitite wives, grannies, younger kids , the frail can all use a .410 and they can be very effective at domestic ranges. Rather pointless having a huge 12 gauge if most of the family would be either reluctant or too afraid to use it. and even a volley from a Ruger 22 semi auto pistol is a better bet for some folks to use rather than a 45ACP again because its to much for them.

I'm glad your hand is doing better! I hope it continues to regain strength and dexterity and does hurt too much.

I recently (finally) purchased a 38 special revolver. I went with a revolver because I have trouble with the slide on a semiautomatic even though I have two good hands (I have small hands and apparently not very strong), so you're still doing better than me.
I am not working on getting confident using it and with TX new concealed carry laws I will carry it once I become confident. For the longest time I was reluctant to buy a handgun and my town was fairly safe anyway. Recently, though, there have been a lot of incidents that make me want a little extra protection. There have been a lot of shootings (at least a couple every week) including where someone was shot at the park I used to take a walk in several times a week. I no longer live in that neighborhood but still it scares me a little.
Sooooo PRACTICE PRACTICE AND PRACTICE, followed by PRACTICE, get and instructor to teach you two handed shooting, strong hand and weak handed shooting. And perhaps a tiny laser affixed to the 38 special will make shooting easier.

I am big fan of lasers, both for handguns and for long guns, when used for defensive purposes. I also agree with the advise presented by BillMason. In the past I broke my right hand twice, since I shoot handguns right handed, being able to switch hands was very important. I also have a cross draw holster rig, that can be switched to a left hand draw. One never knows what the future will dictate. Very good advice from Bill.

My wife is versed in all my various calibers. We hold a yearly session on how to load and handle each one. She enjoys shooting the smaller ones And is pretty accurate.
She can handle the 16g. Probably wouldn’t hesitate with the 44 lever action.
She does shy away from the 12g. I haven’t had the 6.5 long enough to find out how she can do. Reminds me, Guess I got have a session on bolt actions.

Me and my wife shoot everything from 22lr to 45acp 28 gauge to 12 g. 3"mag deer rifles 7mm mag to ar15s. What is your guys thoughts about plate carriers and plates if shtf looking at 3+ plates hope i would never have to use them but want to be prepared for everything alittle got a decent food supply 6 months worth of veggies and at least a 2 months of meat mn has lots of meat sources in the north woods

I prefer using my front sight. In a defensive situation, lasers bounce all over the place which causes you to watch for the laser instead of your intended target. It makes a big difference. Lasers work best from a high point of aim (roof tops, etc.) on a rifle. Not so much with pocket guns. My experience and my two cents. A laser is a line back to you for the bad guy. Ever practice cycling your gun with one hand?

My wife is versed in all my various calibers. We hold a yearly session on how to load and handle each one. She enjoys shooting the smaller ones And is pretty accurate.
She can handle the 16g. Probably wouldn’t hesitate with the 44 lever action.
She does shy away from the 12g. I haven’t had the 6.5 long enough to find out how she can do. Reminds me, Guess I got have a session on bolt actions.
I agree with your wife, the 12 gauge is a little too much. I have a 20 gauge shotgun I really like and now the 38 special revolver. I'm not one of those people who loves guns and will have a huge collection or go shoot just for fun but I am seeing the benefits in having them and learning to use them.

I agree with your wife, the 12 gauge is a little too much. I have a 20 gauge shotgun I really like and now the 38 special revolver. I'm not one of those people who loves guns and will have a huge collection or go shoot just for fun but I am seeing the benefits in having them and learning to use them.
My wife recently bought a Mosberg 20 gauge over/under. It isn't for defensive purposes but for hunting and shooting trap. A 12 gauge was too much for her.
She also keeps an XDM 9mm in her night stand equipped with a flash light and laser.
I like the 38 special, but I'd recommend a 357 mag. You can shoot 38 special in it too. Just a little more versatile.
I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 mag, 38 special. It has a cylinder for 9 mm too. I also have a Winchester 94 Trapper chambered in 357 mag. It goes along good with the Ruger single action.
I like having some of my rifles match my pistol calibers too.

Sooooo PRACTICE PRACTICE AND PRACTICE, followed by PRACTICE, get and instructor to teach you two handed shooting, strong hand and weak handed shooting. And perhaps a tiny laser affixed to the 38 special will make shooting easier.
Jeez some times I'm not firing on all cylinders, Also practice Single Action and Double action , and with different types of ammo to find a type or brand you are comfortable with , Practice with a flashlight in your other hand. AND Learn to clean and lube your revolver properly, and more PRACTICE. Get to the stage where pointing your pistol is as easy and natural as pointing your finger.

My EDC
If I cannot take it with me, I aint going.
If I cannot travel with it, I don’t go.
If I can not ride or fly with it, I walk or drive.
If I cannot enter with it, I turn away.
If I cannot keep it with me I wont stay..
On my belt and in my pockets.
it does not go in a bag.

My EDC is all or nothing.

Knife
Flash light
Lighter
Compass
Multi Tool
Watch
Wallet
Shades
Cell phone
Cash
Kerchief / Bandana
Hat
Gloves
Pen
Sharpie
Notebook
Flash drive
Mask
Sanitizer
PDW (where legal)
Keys plus mini knife sharpener
I like the list of your EDC essentials. I'd like to add Charter Tactical edc gun belts into this list.

I have a small farm.
I can tell you this, carrying a rifle while trying to do chores, from water livestock, weeding, cutting/spiting/stacking firewood, etc. is a non starter.

I have a farm too, I just keep a sidearm on me. Hogs. And I agree, too dang hot for rigging and such. It will be in the mid 80's today.

The 12g is gonna knock her petite body on her butt.
I do not recommend 12 ga shotguns for home defense, unless all parties are big enough in stature to handle the weight and recoil of a 12 ga.. If one member of the family is petite, then a 20 ga or even a 410 is good for home defense.
Petitite wives, grannies, younger kids , the frail can all use a .410 and they can be very effective at domestic ranges. Rather pointless having a huge 12 gauge if most of the family would be either reluctant or too afraid to use it.

Generally, good advice however, I'm fairly petite and was 12 (maybe 80 lbs) the first time my father taught me to shoot the 12 g. I might even fit in the granny category as well....I like my 12 g. My view is that if you are taught to shoot correctly from the start, we "petite" ladies can handle most everything. I've even used a couple of different 50 cals and hit the target on the first try.

Training ladies, and then more training...with everything you can get the chance to learn to shoot! You just never know what you might end up having to use WTSHTF.

I like the list of your EDC essentials. I'd like to add Charter Tactical edc gun belts into this list.

I got a Hank's Extreme 1 3/4" gun belt for IDPA competition. I liked it so much I wear it every day. 0.225" thick, which is dang near 1/4". It doesn't sag, even when I'm carrying my 52 ounce (not including ammo) Super Blackhawk Hunter deer hunting. They also have Extreme models in 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" if you have smaller belt loops. The 1 3/4" width fits nearly all my pants...some snugly...
https://www.hanksbelts.com/collecti...eme-concealed-carry-gun-belt-17-oz-1-75-width

Generally, good advice however, I'm fairly petite and was 12 (maybe 80 lbs) the first time my father taught me to shoot the 12 g. I might even fit in the granny category as well....I like my 12 g. My view is that if you are taught to shoot correctly from the start, we "petite" ladies can handle most everything. I've even used a couple of different 50 cals and hit the target on the first try.

Training ladies, and then more training...with everything you can get the chance to learn to shoot! You just never know what you might end up having to use WTSHTF.
My full advice was to teach her, otherwise..... She is 5’3 150 and 65 yr old and I know has never shot. And they don’t have a property to shoot at.

My wife similar size, has the opportunity to train easily. So I do agree with you.

My full advice was to teach her, otherwise..... She is 5’3 150 and 65 yr old and I know has never shot. And they don’t have a property to shoot at.

My wife similar size, has the opportunity to train easily. So I do agree with you.

I'm 5'4 110 ish +/- lbs and over 50. You are correct that already knowing to shoot makes a difference.

I just want to encourage women not to limit themselves in what they "can" or can't shoot... because it is a process. When things fall apart the more versatility you have, the better!

Latest posts

Back