My BOB and Trauma Kit

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirmatthewbartlett

Reaction score
Hi all,

New member here wanted see what you all thought of my primary BOB and contents would welcome any suggestions. This is based on short term for two people so If you see 2 x of the same thing that is based on the assumption I have my bug out mate with me. I have divided this into a few sections.

Tools, Security, Torch's

1x Cold Steel OSS
2 x mora heavy duty knives
1 x Kershaw 10inch camp knife
2 x Cold Steel Peacemaker 2s
1 x Leatherman
1 x Cold Steel Recon 1
1 x Cold Steel Panga Machetes (depending on scenario and location and other variables)
2 x small cree torch (run on either AA or 14500 batts)
1 x 3d cell led maglight
1 x cree head torch (runs on either 18650 or 2 x camera batts)
1 x MK4 Osprey Body Armour (once again depends on the scenario can be taken or left depending on variables) with side plates and level four plates
1 x Survival Inc Lightweight 111a body amour with insert-able level 4 plates (brought for my girlfriend to wear and once again depends on the scenario can be taken or left depending on variables)
100 x High intensity 5 Min Cyalume sticks (can be left or taken in desired quantity)
2 x Lazer Brite long life tactical torch glowstick things last 450 hours if you havent seen them have a look at the link they are awesome http://www.lazerbrite.com/
3 x Lighters

Survival & Food Prep
Oasis Water Purification Tablets
Hexamine type Stove with extra fuel tablets
1 x trangia with kettle
Mess Tins x 2
Spork x 2
Seven Oceans Survival Biscuits x 2 Packs (each pack lasts one person 72 hrs Supposedly)
2 x UK MREs (have more can add to in volume dependant on different scenarios)
1 x Life Straw
4 x 4 hr tea lights
Pack of playing cards
2 x Mountain Whistles
Fire Steel
Waterproof Matches
Condoms
Small Fishing Kit
Snares
Para Cord 550 Small roll
sewing kit
2 x gold sovereigns
2 x half gold sovereigns
hand Sanitizer
Anti Bacterial wipes
Toilet Paper
2 x small roll up Gortex bivi bags
Tinder
6 Protein / Energy bars
Tea Bags, Sugar, Salt, pepper small quantity of powdered milk
Small tabasco bottle
2 x litre metal water bottles
5 x resealable bags

Communications, Tech and Navigation

1 x Solar & Wind up Radio (also has charger for mobiles etc built in)
1 x Wind up Torch (is kept in survival section separate from other torch's emergency only)
2 long range way UHF Ham radios (i have five so can vary quantity if there are others in party)
Small pair of Binoculars
Old Fashioned Compass & Maps of Area that I am in and going to
1 x Ipad loaded with films, books (survival books not just fiction) and Independent OS Mapping software which works offline.
1 x Google Nexus 7 loaded with books and Ordnance Survey software
1 x Power Gorilla Battery & Solar Charger
1 x Cheap Generic 10000mah battery & Solar charger

The Luxury Kit (to me these are luxury items and not needed but are really nice to have)

Two Person Tent (I use the wild country one small compact lightweight)
2 x Snugpack Extreme Sleeping bags these beauties go down to about -20 and are fairly light as well
Multi Fuel Stove assorted camping gear
Small Hatchet

I am sure Ive missed quite a bit off and as I mentioned the trauma kit and this kit are designed to be spread over a carry load of two people and possibly a bug out vehicle and then of course I have a different load for land rover etc but the above is what I and my girlfriend can happily carry with a few additions etc easily and for a period of time spread out over both of us. Depending on the situation I would also possibly carry a lightweight 12ftlbs .22 air gun and or a 150lb draw weight crossbow but weight starts to get prohibitive I have found when you start adding big extras.

I think the beauty of my kit is that I have designed it to carry in a modular way so can cut weight from the kit very easily without taking too much effectiveness and to vary for different scenarios I also have 2 NBC kits with GSR respirators but would not carry them in certain scenarios.

I would welcome any constructive comments. I sometimes get carried away with kit or so my girlfriend tells me when she strapps the bag I have packed her on her back!! Do we really need all of this is a common comment..... haha Cheers for reading.

You mentioned Trauma Kit, didn't see it. Also from my perspective, I wouldn't ditch the GSR respirators and NBC gear, two reasons, if your heading to the Highlands to bug out, it gets pretty chilly there, you can use the NBC gear as another layer of clothing, not to mention if you do run into an issue of NBC, never know when Mr. Murphy is going to change the game board and ruin your party! As for the rest of the BOB, good stuff. As for placing them in modular, good job, most of my stuff that is in your Survival/Prep stuff is on my body in cargo pants, they might be bulging out of my pockets, but they are on me. Unless your building redundancy in your BOB. I'd just hate to see all your stuff placed in one bag and then Murphy decides to strike.

That is a lot of gear! I mean that as a compliment, but I wonder how "short term" you're planning for with that much stuff.

There are several items that I would easily exchange for a gun, and not an airgun but a good old barking iron of the real and deadly variety. Granted, guns are easily legally obtained where I live, and sleeping bags are unnecessary 95% of the time due to the climate. I feel like you have a lot of redundancy in the blade and light department also, but that's just my opinion and I'm fairly new at all of this. The mini stove and gear is easily replaced by firestarters (I see you have lighters, magnesium works and charcloth is helpful as well) and a little practice. Keep the cookset, but you'll save a lot of space and weight without the stove and fuel. Plus, fuel runs out. There's always more flammable stuff. You have a lot of overall redundancy, to be honest. I suppose I prioritize mobility over stuff. Sure you can hike with all that on your back, but can you run? Move stealthily? Climb? As you said, everything is situational, but it's always good to be able to move.

Again, this is all my humble opinion. Compliments on an extremely comprehensive kit!

Hey ya thanks for the comments for some reason I've posted twice and my truama kit is on the other post. Shadow I wish I could carry a gun but alas a misspent youth precludes me owning even a shotgun due to the draconian gun lass in the UK. I guess when the shtf I can try and source one but they are still a pretty rare commodity. I agree about mobility as well especially when wearing in particular the osprey with side plates and front and rear plates there is always and option to strip off the brassards and collar and plates and go with soft armour only but that is only level 3 protection..... But then again being as there are not that many guns in the uk I suppose you are facing more of a stab threat.....

this kit are designed to be spread over a carry load of two people and possibly a bug out vehicle

I was going to say, how are you carrying all of this...but seems to be covered.

Latest posts

Back