My Biggest Fear....What About The Kiddiots....

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenifer

Reaction score
I worry allot about what I would/could/should do if the SHTF in some kind of "acute" disaster...not like economic collapse or something where it kinda creeps up on ya a little slower...but like a weather thing or space thing or war thing where something happens NOW and you hafta do something NOW! What do I do if I am at work 20 miles away, my husband is at work 20 miles the OTHER way and my kids are in 2 different schools? :-( This scares me. How do I get my kids? When 9-11 happened I didn't know what to do. I saw it that morning on the news after my son had gone to school and I had an infant at home. I wanted to go get him but the news said it wasn't necessary. So I didn't. In retrospect I wish I would have, just in case. I would definitely go get my kids first and then worry about my husband. He's a man, my kids need me. But I sure would like to have a "plan" so we would be prepared and know what to do. My oldest son drives but I dunno if I would want him to drive himself home cuz then I don't know where he is en route. If he's at the school then I know where he's at until I get to him, ya know? I dunno. Any suggestions? how do you guys work the logistics of the kids?​

You already have your answer in part, it's a matter of priority. U stated u have two sons and one of them drives. Ur issue with location comes down to trust. You are holding yourself responsible solely for the recovery of your children. If ur oldest is 16 at least then I wonder Do you trust him? The hubby is a secondary u are a primary means of getting ur kids, well what about a tertiary plan... Your oldest son. You establish a plan with him that has him meeting u with his brother at a know location. If he is closer to the younger son than he books it to his location and notifies u once he has made it there and secured his brother. You also need a back up communication system like the best walkie talkies you can afford and test them as well as your recovery plan for your children. This is an assessment being made with very limited information on ur situation and I'm not trying to be a smart as I would love to here back from u. very respectfully, ranjen

I worry allot about what I would/could/should do if the SHTF in some kind of "acute" disaster...not like economic collapse or something where it kinda creeps up on ya a little slower...but like a weather thing or space thing or war thing where something happens NOW and you hafta do something NOW! What do I do if I am at work 20 miles away, my husband is at work 20 miles the OTHER way and my kids are in 2 different schools? :-( This scares me. How do I get my kids? When 9-11 happened I didn't know what to do. I saw it that morning on the news after my son had gone to school and I had an infant at home. I wanted to go get him but the news said it wasn't necessary. So I didn't. In retrospect I wish I would have, just in case. I would definitely go get my kids first and then worry about my husband. He's a man, my kids need me. But I sure would like to have a "plan" so we would be prepared and know what to do. My oldest son drives but I dunno if I would want him to drive himself home cuz then I don't know where he is en route. If he's at the school then I know where he's at until I get to him, ya know? I dunno. Any suggestions? how do you guys work the logistics of the kids?​
This is a reality I live with. I have kids in two different districts, and my wife works some 20 miles away, and I have an ex wife who is completely worthless in all matters of survival, a.k.a. gold digger. Also I live in earthquake country, and earthquakes are not known for giving advanced warning.

My plan is my wife heads to the house, I go get my son who is furthest away, then the other two, then back to the house. The reason for this is my son's school has no plans for earthquakes except "duck and covers" where as the other kids' school had each family supply each one of their kids with a 3 day food and water kit that the teachers keep in the kid's respective classrooms.

I have started carrying a couple days worth of supplies to get back to the house, just in case. This was an idea supplied by member Colt 1911.

You already have your answer in part, it's a matter of priority. U stated u have two sons and one of them drives. Ur issue with location comes down to trust. You are holding yourself responsible solely for the recovery of your children. If ur oldest is 16 at least then I wonder Do you trust him? The hubby is a secondary u are a primary means of getting ur kids, well what about a tertiary plan... Your oldest son. You establish a plan with him that has him meeting u with his brother at a know location. If he is closer to the younger son than he books it to his location and notifies u once he has made it there and secured his brother. You also need a back up communication system like the best walkie talkies you can afford and test them as well as your recovery plan for your children. This is an assessment being made with very limited information on ur situation and I'm not trying to be a smart as I would love to here back from u. very respectfully, ranjen
I only say I would get both kids because, if I don't work that day ( I usually only work 1-2 days a week), then I am within 4 or 5 miles of both kids. As opposed to my husband who works 5 days a week and is 20 miles away. As far as my oldest son picking up his brother (They are 18 and 12 btw), I will admit that it probably is a control issue on my part. Not so much a "trust issue" as far as my son goes. I worry that he could be trying to get home and something happen and he might not be able to because of traffic, etc. Then I don't know where he is en route to be able to get to him. If he stays at the school then I know where he is until I get there. I think the walkie talkie idea is a great one. I think I will pick up 4 of those. In case cell phones don't work. If I am working then I think it makes more sense for my husband to get both kids as he is a more "aggessive" driver. I can get home and start taking care of things as far as weather we're bugging in or out. I guess.

Well that's were the walkies come into play, now i know they aren't fail proof but walkies at this point are your best bet. I still believe you should have them meeting in a central location the 12 yr i wouldn't move to far, a block or two at most from his school if need be but the 18 yr old he needs to be moving toward his little brother and towards you a.s.a.p. You are maximizing your exposure in a time when minimizing it is idea. Your boys are at the age now were you should be able to trust there judgment in a crisis situation, provided you have given them the proper guidance i think. i understand your point of view as far as them staying in place and im not trying to say this is bad but you should prepare them for the other situation as well I'm not trrying to tell you how to run your life or your families but you should always and i mean always P.A.C.E plan. P.A.C.E is an acronym used in the military for Primary Alternate Contingency Emergency. No one plan can ever be the one plan that will without fail be enacted. You need to develop at least two plans for each scenario you for see being a possibility and give time frames for your plans to be enacted. You are planing to be alive and or uninjured when the SHTF, well what if that is not the case and your boys are waiting on mom and she doesn't show? how long will they wait where do they go do they wait for each other? these scenarios need to be discussed and planned for.

I think that is awesome that the school requires a supply of food for the kids! Thats pretty amazing...

Ohhhh...ranjen, I don't like the idea of my not being here...LOL I didn't already tell you that I never plan to die? haha

Latest posts

Back