multible tarp shelter techniques

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pretty much always do the "body bag" one. However, I also add extra grommets to the tarp to be sure I have them on all 4 sides. In addition, on the floor part, I pull it up in the corners, and use a zip tie to hold it (going through the grommets), keeping any ground water (from a rain) from getting into the "tent". Add a couple of pieces of netting (same thing, zip tie through the grommets, but on "front" side, use twist ties), and you've got airflow but also no buggies.

A lot of those look too complicated to be practical. But there are some cool ones. It's good to be able to adapt to the shapes of the trees and dead limbs around you so the more shapes you know how to make, the better.

That's the nice thing about the "body bag" configuration. All you need is two anchor points, and you've got it. (and you can always use paracord to breach the distance.)

Oh, and tent stakes too. Put them right through the tarp grommets (another reason I put them on all sides).

Stakes are not in my kit currently... And they should be. Got a two-person hammock and a camo tarp on the way, will put stakes in with them.

i got 4-12 inch stakes to replace the 4-7 inch stakes for my tent the other day.but i have 2 tarps.and because of that.i need 4 more..

Just the cheap stakes work fine too, never had an issue with them. Trick is to angle them when putting them in.

my issue here..is the strong winds we get time 2 time that come with rain storms..i had pitched my tent in the back yard one day.on acount i hadn't pitched it since last year and all..the next evening the stakes got pulled out of the ground and the tent got blown into the fence line.i had the stakes in the ground like they needed to be..so im thinking the ground was simply to soft for the 7 inch stakes and the wind..

If expecting wind, I'll sometimes anchor the 4 corners with paracord to a nearby tree, etc. Good point on ground softness though.

Latest posts

Back