MREs?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneHitWonder

Reaction score
I'm new to prepping and really short on funds as the only "job" I have is mowing the lawn and doing dishes, so I'm really hesitant on MREs because they are so expensive. I heard they're supposed to be good though. There is a flea market near my house where someone sells individual meals for a dollar a piece, so I bought 20 of them and store them in my backpack with other supplies. I just don't know if my primary food source should be from a hillbilly at a flea market

What is everyone's take on this?

Well, MRE's, dehydrated meals, and freeze-dried meals are generally pretty light, small, and easy to transport, so they are great for an "on the go" food item. But, if you are planning to stay in place, there are much more economical choices.

Get some food grade pails with gamma lids, and mylar bags, and store rice, beans, corn, mashed potato flakes (these items will keep for over a decade). Canned foods are good too (just remember to rotate through them and use/replenish). Most will keep and taste the same for a year or two. After two years, they will still be safe, but the taste may be off (depending on the item).

Well mre's are fine! but any food that is dry and has a long shelf life will do the job ! granted you need protein,carbs,vitamins. so beans of any type are high in protein, pasta's cover carbs which are turned to sugar for your body or stored as fat which is not a bad thing if in a survival situation. dried fruits, freeze dried fruits,raisins,plums cover your vitaminC amongst many other vitamins. all of which can be gotten at any type of dollar store cheap!

I think i spent 80 dollars and completely filled 2 food grade 5gallon buckets with food that will last for years and with items for drinks cus noone wants to drink water the rest of there lives gotta have a glass of tea or a cup of coffee now and then.

Mre's taste like butt, but the can sustain you for a decent time. I can usually get about 2-3 days out of 1

Hey now. Chilimac was awesome. So were the five fingers of death.

But yeah. Mres are great for on the go. But always remember. Calories in and calories out. My first time in afghan I lost 30 pounds in thirty days eating four mres a day. So if you're packing them to bug out. Pack according to how you're going to be traveling.

Latest posts

Back