Must Read Movies to Keep You Inspired

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Illini Warrior

Demi-God
Banned
Reaction score
50 Survival Movies Preppers Should Watch - TruePrepper >>> another one of those list with prepper movies - half are definitely the usual bigger box hits that we all know well ...

but I found some new ones that I don't know >>

The Rover
Arctic
Dirty War
The Trigger Effect
IO
Adrift
The Decline
It Comes At Night
#Alive

The Ritual

two mentioned that sound decent but haven't found source to watch >>

Right At Your Door
Black Out

The Impossible
is listed - not enough said however - newer true life survival story of a British family in the Thai tusanmi disaster

A Quiet Place is mentioned but the recent sequel A Quiet Place 2 isn't >>> actually a better movie

American Blackout is mentioned - a National Geographic special - most people don't know there's a UK version done at the same time - good to watch also

for whatever reason one of the better prepper "movies" isn't mentioned - again a National Geo presentation - After Armageddon - good one to sit with fellow preppers and dissect for the positives & negatives

I've seen a few of those listed. One old series that we just finished that I liked was Jeremiah. Started out kind of silly, but got better. All the people over puberty died suddenly in the "Great Death", and little kids were having to fend for themselves. Skip ahead 15 yrs and that's where the series starts. The end of the first season kind of lets you know who was responsible for creating this mutated virus. It was created in New Delhi because US laws wouldn't let you do gain of function tests. Those that created it went to a military installation to escape it, come out after 15 yrs...started giving vaccines to small towns of people, those people are experiencing the Great Death #2, so they have to burn it down. The vaccine caused the mutation, caused the Great Death to return. Lots of interesting plot changes. Luke Perry stars.
Also need to mention Jericho, a series I loved.

The Movie Reviews!
Friday nights are usually “movie night at the facility!
Two Fridays ago, in honor of current events, we watched EMP 333 days (2018) which chronicled the experiences of a twelve-year-old (?) girl after an EMP and her difficulties surviving before she managed to reach a survival community that grew food and had chickens and everything! Imagine?! A bit slow, but you definitely get the gist of the chaos, dangers, and shortage of everything.

Last Friday we watched Red Dawn - the 2012 version with Chris Hemsworth, not the 1984 version with Patrick Swayze. Another one for the kids as football players and cheerleaders have to choose to fight when an EMP takes out their community and North Koreans with Russian advisors, parachute in in huge numbers and try to eradicate the main characters and their friends, when all they were doing was sabotaging and blowing up their soldiers?! Inspiring, don’t surrender movie.

Tonight (really Thursday night because today is a teacher's workday!) we saw AmeriGeddon (2016) Most everyone pretty much agreed that MOST of the actors were pretty stilted but the subjects were great as a starting point for what to do and not to do in a similar situation. Several dumb subplots like why would anyone decide “the thing to do during an EMP” is to kidnap a politician’s daughter from college…REALLY?
And who keeps a helicopter in their Faraday cage? Must be nice?!
There were lots of relevant topics to address including when to keep your mouth shut!
Also we talked about it being a really bad idea to get on the government’s radar as their resources are almost unlimited and their ability to take out your whole group without you being able to fire a shot is quite likely. Without an EMP, the media would be all over them and they wouldn’t dare drop a bomb on any group, but AFTER an EMP, they could use ANY weapon from artillery to cruise missiles with no worries. Better not to engage unless you have no other choice.
Who we would engage, is any individual or any group that tries to attack us. This is where good communications and forward outposts can make all the difference to divert interlopers from even getting near your BOL.

I am thinking about AFTER ARMAGEDDON for next week, but so far I can only find it on YouTube and it's pretty low quality to project.
I can probably find the DVD on Ebay or Amazon.
Edit - yep, lots on Ebay. After Armageddon (DVD,2011) (aaed241950d) 733961241952 | eBay

Last edited:
My Spanish isn't very good, so if you watch the 1984 version of Red Dawn, it's a good idea to turn on subtitles (or find a version that dubs English for the ton of Spanish spoken by the invaders!) unless you are fluent in Spanish.
I found a decent copy of American Blackout (2013) and it's pretty good about showing multiple situations... from the entitled "Instagram girl," to college students stuck in an elevator, to people on the streets, to a family that has prepped (but who's leader hasn't covered all his bases and loses his cool.) It shows prepping in a somewhat jaded light, so the discussion afterwards would definitely have to be "what could they have done better?"

Last edited:
I dont base my survival on movies, their invariably wrong anyway.
What Dave was suggesting was that you use the movie as a starting point to discuss issues that arise, and how they did it wrong....NOT that the movie was the correct answer.
the discussion afterwards would definitely have to be "what could they have done better?"

What Dave was suggesting was that you use the movie as a starting point to discuss issues that arise, and how they did it wrong....NOT that the movie was the correct answer.
most movies get it ALL wrong, its fiction after all, its entertainment its not about getting the facts right.
if I want to watch something about survival I'll watch Ray Mears not Rambo.

Latest posts

Back