Mountain Dwelling Preppers

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaSue

Reaction score
We are in the midst of purchasing property in the mountains. My question is in regards to gardening at high elevation. We will be at about 8500 feet. Do you all have a greenhouse? Is there a certain brand you’d recommend? Any tips or tricks for growing in a shortened season? Please tell me all you know. I am at a loss on how to get myself prepared for next spring.

I always thought it would be great to incorporate an indoor growing area in the main living area. You are allready temperature controlling the area so if you plan an area with some southward facing windows you can grow something year round. Fluorescent or grow lights would help in the winter months. Weed control is much better in a controlled environment and I love having live plants in the house anyways. im not just talking about a square box to plant in under a window but a terraced or free flowing design that would be a focal point in a home.

A great publication that can help is
The Winter Harvest Handbook: Year Round Vegetable Production Using Deep-Organic Techniques and Unheated Greenhouses by Elliott Coleman
On his Four Season Farm in Harborside, Brooksville, Maine, he produces year-round vegetable crops, even under harsh winter conditions (for which he uses unheated and minimally heated greenhouses and polytunnels .

I always thought it would be great to incorporate an indoor growing area in the main living area. You are allready temperature controlling the area so if you plan an area with some southward facing windows you can grow something year round. Fluorescent or grow lights would help in the winter months. Weed control is much better in a controlled environment and I love having live plants in the house anyways. im not just talking about a square box to plant in under a window but a terraced or free flowing design that would be a focal point in a home.

I have always been intrigued about the earthship home designs. I love the ones which are centered around an indoor growing area. Boy would I have a field day with that !

earthship-greenhouse-kitchen-indoor-greenhouse.jpg

Interesting that you say that! There’s a room in the house that is supposed to be a “spa room” - it has a hot tub and lots of windows. I barely have time for a shower most days, so I’m pretty sure I can repurpose that room to be a growing space. I know it’s going to be hard with wildlife and weather to grow anything, so an enclosed area is my best bet. Maybe I’ll give it a go and see what happens this winter before we purchase a greenhouse.

We are in the midst of purchasing property in the mountains. My question is in regards to gardening at high elevation. We will be at about 8500 feet. Do you all have a greenhouse? Is there a certain brand you’d recommend? Any tips or tricks for growing in a shortened season? Please tell me all you know. I am at a loss on how to get myself prepared for next spring.

Hey Linda. We have a greenhouse. Before I had this one built I spent a lot of time researching kits and prebuilt ones. The first thing you need to decide on is how much you are willing to spend. That will dictate a lot. Then size and location. For best solar exposure set it toward the South where you are. Make it as large as you can. You will never regret it!

Get or build something that will withstand the wind and snow. We had ours built from someone locally. We put in good sturdy windows, roofing and door. Also had it spray foam insulated...which helps a lot! Roofing panels come in varying thickness, but you are best to go with heavy duty panels for longevity and strength. We connected water to ours and of course electric. This year I’ve added grow lights. Talk about a selection and confusing information!! My gosh I didn’t know if what I bought would be good or not until I tried them out. They work great! I have them controlled remotely and on set up schedules for each light.

Do have a potting station put in as well as lots of space and shelving for storing pots, fertilizer, bug killer, equipment, gloves etc.

For plants that need deep roots, my hubby just bought me a 7’ elevated planter that I am crazy about. Just put Fall potatoes in it. I have a large metal cattle trough which I currently have peas growing in. On one side of the greenhouse I had a table built.

DD gave you a great reference for growing year round in greenhouses and Rellgar a great one for your elevation!

Will let you know how my Fall garden grows and produces! Am going to try a winter garden this year too. I am a bit anxious about it though so I will be reading more on how to do it.

The picture is of the potting station I had cut into the sink cabinet...which is actually a furniture piece I bought and had the guys convert.
1599408147524.jpeg

I have always been intrigued about the earthship home designs. I love the ones which are centered around an indoor growing area. Boy would I have a field day with that !

earthship-greenhouse-kitchen-indoor-greenhouse.jpg
I watched a show on an earth ship build and really like a lot of the design and ideas. I would likely forgo the used tire bit, but really like the overall concept. And yes, having live plants as decoration in the house would be great. You could redesign the beds with each season.

Interesting that you say that! There’s a room in the house that is supposed to be a “spa room” - it has a hot tub and lots of windows. I barely have time for a shower most days, so I’m pretty sure I can repurpose that room to be a growing space. I know it’s going to be hard with wildlife and weather to grow anything, so an enclosed area is my best bet. Maybe I’ll give it a go and see what happens this winter before we purchase a greenhouse.
Keeping the hot tub in the area would serve two purposes. One as you relax in it you get to enjoy seeing your beautiful plants and two it will help stabilize the heat during the winter months. I use a hot tub year round, starting most morning in it. Warm water does wonders for relaxing sore muscles.

Latest posts

Back