Most Unusual Prep

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not unusual perhaps for today it is?
In the years I have hunted I gathered quite a stockpile of coon, deer and elk pelts. I was making coonskin caps and deer and elk coats, I haven't done it since 2009 but still have the pelts. This is something I have learned from my great uncles as a young one.

One of my coats and hats, 2005

View attachment 11621
Nice cap and Really Nice coat!

I have a large amount of dutch oven cookware, all types. And outdoor steel cooking tables set up to accomodate two big pots at a time. I collect items for different ways of cooking things. Rocket stoves, sun oven, outdoor propane oven, a number of outdoor burners. Also electric items that can be used with a car battery and inverter...large toaster oven, extra electric burners. I have a large covered patio outside our old milkhouse where alot of it is set up

interesting article today >>> item that I've stockpiled to a degree - building lumber - article from 12/2020 prophecised today's shortages & skyrocketing $$$$$

https://survivalblog.com/2021/05/25/strategic-lumber-storage-3ad-scout/
I think 2020 and 2021 will be the years that many of us might realize that wood, primarily as in lumber, should be added to our preps. I suppose for those who live in areas prone to Hurricanes having some wood on hand might be normal to board up the home when a storm approaches but wood has many forms and hence many uses. 2020 has also shown us that like ammo, canned food and Toilet paper, wood can also be in short supply and in large demand.

interesting article today >>> item that I've stockpiled to a degree - building lumber - article from 12/2020 prophecised today's shortages & skyrocketing $$$$$

https://survivalblog.com/2021/05/25/strategic-lumber-storage-3ad-scout/
I think 2020 and 2021 will be the years that many of us might realize that wood, primarily as in lumber, should be added to our preps. I suppose for those who live in areas prone to Hurricanes having some wood on hand might be normal to board up the home when a storm approaches but wood has many forms and hence many uses. 2020 has also shown us that like ammo, canned food and Toilet paper, wood can also be in short supply and in large demand.

I know the local Amish saw mill is busy.
He said almost too busy!

I've owned 2 sawmills over the years and milled hundreds of thousands board feet of lumber. The last mill I owned had computer set works, full hydraulics, diesel engine and would keep 2 men busy full time. When I went to work overseas I offered to give it to my son, for free. He wasn't interested in it so I sold it. I'm thinking about buying a new mill to make a little income and provide quality lumber for my projects.

Not unusual perhaps for today it is?
In the years I have hunted I gathered quite a stockpile of coon, deer and elk pelts. I was making coonskin caps and deer and elk coats, I haven't done it since 2009 but still have the pelts. This is something I have learned from my great uncles as a young one.

One of my coats and hats, 2005

View attachment 11621
That is outstanding work!

I've owned 2 sawmills over the years and milled hundreds of thousands board feet of lumber. The last mill I owned had computer set works, full hydraulics, diesel engine and would keep 2 men busy full time. When I went to work overseas I offered to give it to my son, for free. He wasn't interested in it so I sold it. I'm thinking about buying a new mill to make a little income and provide quality lumber for my projects.

I don't know about the prices in your location but here everyone is talking about the high price of lumber.

I don't know about the prices in your location but here everyone is talking about the high price of lumber.
I just priced some lumber yesterday to finish a couple projects that I already started. 2Ɨ4Ɨ8' is $11.50 each, 2Ɨ6Ɨ8' is $17.50 each, a 6.75"Ɨ10.5"Ɨ33' beam is $27.30 per foot. 1Ɨ12's are $3.50 per board foot. I think that 7/16" sheeting is around $40 a sheet. Last year it was around $7 a sheet.
I'm finishing up a little 12'Ɨ16' building and just the siding is going to cost $2600! The new 8'Ɨ16' wood shed will be over $4,000.
Is this political? There's no other explanation for it. These high prices just started after the election.

Operating room surgery tools. Wife knows how to use them. I may be able to assist. We could probably handle many bullet wounds that were not instantly fatal. No blood though. Have to use saline solution. Odds of patient survival are not 0.

Operating room surgery tools. Wife knows how to use them. I may be able to assist. We could probably handle many bullet wounds that were not instantly fatal. No blood though. Have to use saline solution. Odds of patient survival are not 0.
For a GSW with no blood products, Ringers Lactate is the preferred solution. Just sayin'.

Not that unusual but my husband thought I was strange doing this. I got a five gallon bucket. Cut a circle in the middle and bought a new plunger and placed it through the center hole. I will use this to agitate water so I can wash clothes easier if we can not use a washer for any reason.

I'm not as advanced in my preps Iā€™m taking baby steps because my hubby does not think we have to go beyond 72 hours of supplies. At least FINALY he has agreed to let me do that and get a Buddy heater for emergencies! For that Iā€™m thankful!

wouldn't count out running into a little bit of everything involved in the med field >>> going to be plenty of empty-handed sheeple wandering the wasteland with skills but no tools ....

the hospitals & med centers won't last long in a heavy injury SHTF - no grid, no supplies and a butt load of dependent population that won't take NO!!! ....

during the months & months of Covid surgery shutdowns across the country - bet you couldn't swing a dead cat at those VIP resort areas without hitting a few name brand surgeons

I am not medically trained and my knowledge is limited to first aid on construction sites, now many years ago, so what kind of medical tools would anyone suggest, so far I have limited my supplies to lots of first aid kits and a small pack of scapels.
Suture needles and dental floss. Practice on an orange or a banana. Just being able to close someone up may save a lot of lives.

Latest posts

Back