Most Unusual Prep

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpleman

God Like
Reaction score
Was just wondering what your most unusual/unique prep item is? Do you have something weird? Something nobody else would think about prepping? I Do Not want anyone to give an item you do not want, or do not feel comfortable revealing!
Mine I think would be "Toothpicks", I have roughly 12,000 of them! I realize I could use something else that last longer, but it is something about that wooden toothpick! Plus I can use them as tinder if I need to!

I have a special machine for those unwanted visitors who just refuse to leave my property.

il_570xN.785650089_d3hf.jpg

Not really unusual but maybe obsessive. I have dozens of lighters and cases of matches. Multiple other means of starting a fire. I don't smoke, and my hand to God, I am not a pyromaniac. The requisite lighter fluid, flints, butane. I carry a Zippo lighter all the time. It has saved me more than once when car locks were frozen. I have fire kits in every bag I carry.

never really had anything different or odd for prepping before - unless you consider covering your prep azz 4 ways to Sunday across the board ....

but I just picked up 3300 count (2 bales) of poly wove bags - the sandbag type minus the usual built-in closure ties - they originally came in from North Dakota used up there for the bean harvest >>> the bags came up free on the FB Marketplace and nobody wanted them - wanted only one but got the 2nd bale pushed on me ....

besides finding a permanent storage space - I'm looking at usage purposes besides the fat chance of sandbagging around my place ....

And here I thought my husband was obsessive for getting 500 of those bags (ours weren't free though). He's using them for the front of a "gun range" burm he is going to excavate on our cabin place: target practice for him; that and also for archery practice area for me. I used to be quite good with my bow, but it has been many years since I picked mine up. Need to re-hone my skills on both fronts.

Oh, GP, I just ordered them somewhere on the net. I think it was maybe Amazon, back when I was still having anything to do with Amazon. Sorry they're all down at the cabin, so I can't give you a brand as we haven't bugged out yet. They're about 20" x 30" roughly. We have been using the smaller scarf-style version around our necks when doing outside gardening and yard work a couple years now. They really do cool you down in the heat/sun. Wish I had discovered them long ago. They're like a great big chamois cloth, but thicker.

Did you get the pool shock? Regular bleach only lasts a year...but it degenerates from the time it is made. Making it less effective at 6 months. Temperature storage of it is important also. Recommended storage temps are between 50-70 degrees.

I buy sodium hypochlorite powder (lasts almost forever) and make my own bleach as needed.

Did you get the pool shock? Regular bleach only lasts a year...but it degenerates from the time it is made. Making it less effective at 6 months. Temperature storage of it is important also. Recommended storage temps are between 50-70 degrees.
Dammit, no I didn’t. Bleach is incredibly cheap though, still use it for cleaning floors, won’t be any good for water purification? I’ll have a look on Amazon, thanks for the reminder.

Dammit, no I didn’t. Bleach is incredibly cheap though, still use it for cleaning floors, won’t be any good for water purification? I’ll have a look on Amazon, thanks for the reminder.

Don’t use regular bleach past 1 year of age. Increase the amount over 6 months of age. Here is a good article to help you. I printed off instructions from someone years ago and have them with the box of pool shock, and backup copies stored away. Pool shock goes a LONG WAY, so it really isnt expensive.

https://www.backdoorsurvival.com/how-to-use-pool-shock-to-purify-water/
Pool shock that is Safe. They aren’t all safe for drinking water because of additives!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...tag=ponparide-20&linkId=RIYLVQVZUMBSXVSO&th=1

Oh, GP, I just ordered them somewhere on the net. I think it was maybe Amazon, back when I was still having anything to do with Amazon. Sorry they're all down at the cabin, so I can't give you a brand as we haven't bugged out yet. They're about 20" x 30" roughly. We have been using the smaller scarf-style version around our necks when doing outside gardening and yard work a couple years now. They really do cool you down in the heat/sun. Wish I had discovered them long ago. They're like a great big chamois cloth, but thicker.

I very much appreciate you finding them and sharing the info!!! Am going to get some. Having a problem with heat anyway, so these would be a real lifesaver. 👍 🙂

Latest posts

Back