Moles

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent S

Top Poster
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with killing moles? I have a lot of the little bastards tunneling in my greenhouse and garden area. I don't want to use poison as it won't make my veggies very healthy, but I'm willing to go caddy shack on the little varmints!

They make traps. Many years ago I watched my uncle set a mole trap and it worked. It was a sort of spring loaded guillotine you set on a tunnel.

Something like this:

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/sweeneysmoletrap.cfm

MoleTrap.jpg

I saw one of those for about 15.00 on a site this evening. Also saw castor oil, regular rat traps, mothballs, flooding tunnels, poison(which is off the table in the garden) and even wriggleys gum! I guess I'll try a combo of them, I'll let you know what seems to have worked if I win. I guess bill Murray's dynamite idea will be the last resort. Lol! I also I discovered that I'm pretty sure the critters I've got are voles, not moles. There worse than moles on plants as they are herbivores, but are the same as far as getting rid of them. Thanks

Dogs 2 / Voles 0 ................. don't know whats worse ,voles tunnels or dogs holes from digging them out.

Dogs 2 / Voles 0 ................. don't know whats worse ,voles tunnels or dogs holes from digging them out.
Hell, I wish my dog would go after em. I have a beautiful black/with white pit, solid muscle, scary as hell to look at, but she's the biggest pansy you've ever seen. We had a mouse in the bathroom a while back and the dog wouldn't go in there for a month! I'm not a cat fan, but am beginning to see the up,side to them. I checked the greenhouse today and there's holes and trails all over the place, will set a rat trap with peanut butter and oats and see what happens.

A stick of juicy fruit gum in each hole really works!
We had moles bad on our property and then I started finding eaten carcasses in the yard. Thought my shepard was getn them, praised her then I saw the crows plucking them right out of the hole!

I know that doesnt help inside your greenhouse. Start cheap- pack of gum! Then if all else fails the mole guitine!

A stick of juicy fruit gum in each hole really works!
We had moles bad on our property and then I started finding eaten carcasses in the yard. Thought my shepard was getn them, praised her then I saw the crows plucking them right out of the hole!

I know that doesnt help inside your greenhouse. Start cheap- pack of gum! Then if all else fails the mole guitine!
I appreciate the tip, I don't even like chewing gum but bought a multi pack at wallyworld tonight. I dropped the first piece down a hole tonight. Just to help my odds a little I also dug a hole out in one of the tubes and put in a rat trap with peanut butter in it. I'll let you know how it goes. I've worked pretty hard on the greenhouse to let some rodent use it as a buffet!

i need to get around to getting some spermint my self..seems like thier getting worse here..

There is poison earth worms that moles will eat you can get at a Co Op or Tractor Supiy . We had a Pit Bull that would dig them up and kill them but he's gone now My Red Bone /Plot hound cross would get them but she also has a tast for Bike riders so she has to stay put up . With the dog method you have to be willing to step in holes .

There is poison earth worms that moles will eat you can get at a Co Op or Tractor Supiy . We had a Pit Bull that would dig them up and kill them but he's gone now My Red Bone /Plot hound cross would get them but she also has a tast for Bike riders so she has to stay put up . With the dog method you have to be willing to step in holes .
Ill look into the poison worm idea if its safe for gardens. thanks.

the posion worms is out for me.on acount my pomaranian digs for the moles.i can hardly wait for the day she gets one.that just might be a sight to see..lol

the posion worms is out for me.on acount my pomaranian digs for the moles.i can hardly wait for the day she gets one.that just might be a sight to see..lol
at least a pomeranian wont dig too large of a hole!

The guy I learned adout the poison worms from called them Gummy worms I forgot the type poison they contain . He said if you go into A Co Op and ask for them they'll know what you are talking about .

The guy I learned adout the poison worms from called them Gummy worms I forgot the type poison they contain . He said if you go into A Co Op and ask for them they'll know what you are talking about .
I went to tractor supply today to get rabbit chow, and yes they have poison worms and grubs, but there were so many warnings on the label, I don't think it's a good idea for the greenhouse. I didn't check the gum, but the rat trap was tripped, ( too bad it missed!), and the peanut butter was cleaned off. At least I know I'm on the right track now, I reset and baited it again. I also now know I have a vole since it ate peanut butter, so the poison worms wouldn't work anyways. I'll let you know as soon as I get the little varmint!

Success! Sorry for the graphic image, but I'm damned proud of my newfound hunting skills! It was a vole and I can guarantee that they do like peanut butter! Still skeptical of the chewing gum but the rat trap works.
image.jpg

Yeah, I learned that voles travel in at least pairs, got a second of the little beggars! The peanut butter has really done the trick. I reset the trap in the same spot and well see if there's a whole community of em or not. I almost feel a little sad for them as there really kind of cute, but not cute enough to let my garden get destroyed.

where did you set up the trap n peanut butter?in the vole tunnel,or on the ground?

Latest posts

Back