Moldy food...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Lee

Reaction score
I had a big jar of kim chi in my fridge, went to eat some and saw white mold on it. I was going to toss it all out, but then I decided hmmm..... is it still edible? Using google I found out if you tossed out the moldy layer... and repack it in a clean container, and cover it with water, it will still be edible. In fact the flavor should improve. I was skeptical of all this but repackaged it, and then took a quick nibble.... they were right, it was delicious. All I gotta say... probably sounds gross but it is true.

It's the lacto-fermentation. I've been told sauerkraut is the same way. I never have kimchee last that long around me. I'm going to make some from turnips this year as well as bok choy. Something about the fermentation helps me digest meat, so I eat it after each meal nearly.

Actually made me think of making some sort of "American Kim-chi" with romaine or iceburg lettuce, vinegar, siracha sauce, garlic.....maybe some ketchup :p

I wonder how lettuce would hold up in the process. I'd be interested in hearing about your results.

Mmmmm I love good kim-chi.

On one of my trips out of China ... I stayed over night in a Korean Wig factory (they bought and used the Chinese peasants hair to make wigs). When I got to the factory they fixed me dinner and they had kim-chi (which didn't surprise me). Then the next morning they made me breakfast and they had kim-chi then too! Oh... it was great with eggs. Never would have thought it. Oh I was also surprised with the variety of kim-chi they had!

Haha, I thought I was weird because I like to make scramble eggs with kim-chi, now I know I am not alone.

Haha, I thought I was weird because I like to make scramble eggs with kim-chi, now I know I am not alone.
No... you are weird... only kidding!!! Yeah man, I love kim-chi.

Oh and I love the avatar you have now with Bloomberg and his wanting to control our life to the point that they mandatorily restrict your soft drink consumption yet will give medication to children without parental permission.

Thanks, I thought this meme of bloomy was hilarious. Here is the kicker... in NYC you can't give a child aspirin without notifying the parents, but you can give them Plan B birth control bill, try and wrap your head around that!

Latest posts

Back