Modified Ranger Roll

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Top Poster
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
I think most have heard of the ranger roll and I know if you was in the military you should have heard of it, this is a modified version to the ranger roll, today I believe they call it a Marine Roll. Whenever I trek I carry a change of skivvies (socks tee shirt etc..) and also include this in the B.O.B. for those unfamiliar here's how to do it and reason I do it this way, follow illustration.

image.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
Fold in half
image_2.jpeg
lay out similar
image_3.jpeg
Now lay down two old unused socks as shown below, near the neck part of the shirt
image_5.jpeg
Starting from the neck roll tightly to the end of the shirt
image_6.jpeg
turn the old sock out as your covering one end of the shirt, do the same with the other side
image_7.jpeg
completed, it should look like this
image_9.jpeg
image_10.jpeg

Not only do you have a change of skivvies, you also have a pillow, I don't like dirty clothes in my bags and don't like clothes dangling from the bag so I ranger roll it and strap them to the mollies on my pack, since I don't carry gun cleaning patches the old socks are cut to the size patch I need, I would also use the socks to cover say like the machete handle that protrudes above the pack as hiding the silhouette of a weapon. Same can be done with pants and shirt, roll up and put in a zip lock bag.

Last edited:
I think most have heard of the ranger roll and I know if you was in the military you should have heard of it, this is a modified version to the ranger roll, today I believe they call it a Marine Roll. Whenever I trek I carry a change of skivvies (socks tee shirt etc..) and also include this in the B.O.B. for those unfamiliar here's how to do it and reason I do it this way, follow illustration.

View attachment 2994
View attachment 2995
Fold in half
View attachment 2996
lay out similar
View attachment 2997
Now lay down two old unused socks as shown below, near the neck part of the shirt
View attachment 2998
Starting from the neck roll tightly to the end of the shirt
View attachment 2999
turn the old sock out as your covering one end of the shirt, do the same with the other side
View attachment 3000
completed, it should look like this
View attachment 3001
View attachment 3002

Not only do you have a change of skivvies, you also have a pillow, I don't like dirty clothes in my bags and don't like clothes dangling from the bag so I ranger roll it and strap them to the mollies on my pack, since I don't carry gun cleaning patches the old socks are cut to the size patch I need, I would also use the socks to cover say like the machete handle that protrudes above the pack as hiding the silhouette of a weapon. Same can be done with pants and shirt, roll up and put in a zip lock bag.

Not recommended for family vacation packing. When I first was married, I rolled everything up, thought it made sense to save space, since I placed it all in a small day pack and that included my DOP kit. Unfortunately, I learned on the other side, that I would be doing some ironing, since my wife would not go out with a wrinkled husband. Since then, I let her pack everything, I just place it next to the luggage. Of course, then I always seem to forget something. lol.

funny, they thought us to roll whatever you put in your backpack when I did my service aswell, saves alot of space.
hmm, wonder if the nco's of the world have some sort of "let's exchange ideas" network? ;)

Why change a running system? They teach it in the german service as well. We called it a NATO Roll. Lol. The only thing I added was that I packet one of the rolls in a sealed plastic bag to keep it dry in any case. Therez no better feeling in the world to have a dry pair of socks after a couple shitty days...

mmmm,dry socks, dry shirt and dry underpants, makes you feel close to paradise...add a shower or possibility to sauna and life feels so good

Latest posts

Back