Mkettle & Alchol Stoves

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ss03947

Reaction score
OK, first thread, & it's after advice from the stove guru's..:D

I fish by myself a lot, & in some remote places, so instead of carrying a flask/sandwiches etc, I've went down the route of a small Mkettle, (similar to the kelly kettle) packet soup/rice/fresh coffee.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/bushcraft/RD102.html

Utube has a few vids on them, I chose this because of the size mainly, since I just need it for myself.

I've tried it out with twigs/wood etc, it took aprox 6+ mins to boil, that's OK for me but the Mkettle afterwards was pretty fouled up, & it took some cleaning, so this got me thinking.

A few web searches later, I come across the Alchol Stoves, & thought this is the way to go, clean burn, easy to light, light weight, everything started to tick the boxes.

Long story cut short, I made one looking at Utube & had a test pilot (indoors) today, but wasn't impressed with the results, 15mins to come to the boil, whilst the ones on Utube were taking 5-6mins.

Now these stoves on Utube weren't in an Mkettle, they were on a stand heating a pan full of water, maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know, this is my first attempt at this sort of thing, hence the thread asking some advice.

So, has any members on DDP went down this route, (Alcohol stove heating a Kelly Kettle or similar) & if so have they obtained better results than I have, & if so, am I going wrong somewhere.

My results were indoors, I expect outdoors would be a different scenario, I'm not wanting miracles, but I'm sure I could obtain better results.

Since these stoves have been on the go for a good while, I'm sure I'm not the only one to think of this, but for the life of me I cannot find any info.

Cheers,

SS.

If you're out in the woods, is time really that much of a factor? Not like you're going to be late for a meeting. :D

For hiking (or SHTF hiking), I prefer solid fuel cell stoves. Sure, they may take a little longer, but no smoke (which is cool come SHTF), and lightweight and small space, makes it a nice choice.

For home-based SHTF alternate fuel cooking, going with wood just as it is pretty much always available. At least after we go through charcoal. Propane, we'd probably put that to other uses than grilling. Tip, keep your charcoal in an airtight container, and it will last longer, and light better. Here in FL, the humidity kills bags of charcoal, but if you have an airtight container for it, can stock up on sales, and keep it handy.

If you're out in the woods, is time really that much of a factor? Not like you're going to be late for a meeting. :D

Hi Gazrok, my test was indoors, & took a while, outdoors would be longer.

I know time isn't an issue whilst I'm fishing, but I was thinking more on the lines of the amount of fuel I would have to carry.

Getting the a alchol stove to work better would be the answer.

Cheers,

SS.

I'm still a fan of gathering sticks that I didn't have to carry. Even gathering stuff means you have to carry a hatchett or machette, so I guess there is no free ride no matter the source. I have watched the utube video of the soda can stove and was impressed but have not made one. Guess I am just keeping that knowledge stored for future use! I used to hike and camp alot, but now I am happy to be able to pull the car as close as possible and unload all my comfort things, (propane grill is really nice). I guess I am just getting softer.

OK, first thread, & it's after advice from the stove guru's..:D

I fish by myself a lot, & in some remote places, so instead of carrying a flask/sandwiches etc, I've went down the route of a small Mkettle, (similar to the kelly kettle) packet soup/rice/fresh coffee.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/bushcraft/RD102.html

Utube has a few vids on them, I chose this because of the size mainly, since I just need it for myself.

I've tried it out with twigs/wood etc, it took aprox 6+ mins to boil, that's OK for me but the Mkettle afterwards was pretty fouled up, & it took some cleaning, so this got me thinking.

A few web searches later, I come across the Alchol Stoves, & thought this is the way to go, clean burn, easy to light, light weight, everything started to tick the boxes.

Long story cut short, I made one looking at Utube & had a test pilot (indoors) today, but wasn't impressed with the results, 15mins to come to the boil, whilst the ones on Utube were taking 5-6mins.

Now these stoves on Utube weren't in an Mkettle, they were on a stand heating a pan full of water, maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know, this is my first attempt at this sort of thing, hence the thread asking some advice.

So, has any members on DDP went down this route, (Alcohol stove heating a Kelly Kettle or similar) & if so have they obtained better results than I have, & if so, am I going wrong somewhere.

My results were indoors, I expect outdoors would be a different scenario, I'm not wanting miracles, but I'm sure I could obtain better results.

Since these stoves have been on the go for a good while, I'm sure I'm not the only one to think of this, but for the life of me I cannot find any info.

Cheers,

SS.

what type of alcohol are you using for your stove? how much water you trying to boil?

My penny stove experiment; http://doomsdayprepperforums.com/index.php?threads/trying-to-improve-up-on-my-old-penny-stove.4566/

Last edited:
Hi Maverick, I'm using mentholated spirits.

Had a test today with a little alchol stove called ALOC, fits nicely into the base of the Mkettle, it took 12 mins to boil, I can wear that.

The ALOC is a clone as far I can tell of the Triangia, only difference I can see is the ALOC has more holes drilled in the top, & every second one is smaller.

There is a comparison test on both stoves side by side on Utube.

Is there a different fuel I can use that would gain more heat.?

What you can get in the US might not be available in the UK though..!

Cheers,

SS.

Can you get this in the UK?

pa290199.jpg

Nope....done a few searches on google & ebay etc, but cannot find any for sale in the UK...can get it from the US, but double the price with the postage.

SS.

Hi, Thanks for the links.

Works out pretty expensive though...compared to 5 litres of methylated spirits for £12 ($19.26)

Going by the recommendation for Deet/Red Line, I take it this stuff is a better fuel, & burns hotter, am I right.?

SS.

There's also denatured alcohol It tends to burn a little better than rubbing alcohol.

Publix pharmacy sells 91% rubbing alcohol, which burns quite well.

For the BOB I have a pocket flask full of Everclear (95% ethanol), which can be used for all sorts of things, (including mixed drinks) and burns extremely well. It's a lot more expensive than rubbing alcohol, but a little goes a long way. Long term it would be too expensive to use as a substitute for rubbing alcohol, but for short term use, it is so versatile, the versatility outweighs the cost.

I've been waiting for a Trangia Stove coming for a while now, & had a bit of a think regarding the use of these stoves with the Mkettle. Since my last try which took 15mins for the Mkettle to come to the boil, I decided to make a height adjustment for the stove which would reduce the distance between the flame & the inside wall of the Mkettle.

This neatly fit inside of theMkettles base.

I decided to compare the Trangia with a ALOCS stove which I purchased a while ago.

First off the ALOCS Stove, filled the Mkettle to the top, topped up the stove with methylated spirits, lit it, waited till the stove heated up, then placed the Mkettle on to the base, & set the stopwatch.

Excellent result, 7m-50secs, nearly cut the first try of 15mins in half.

Next up the Trangia, same process, & it took 7m-8secs, beat the ALOCS by 42secs, & boiled in under half the time of my first try with an alchol stove.

So, a good result, proving that raising the height of the stove was the way to go.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a Robens Loner Cook Set after a few emails to the seller for the dimensions, mainly the diameter of the largest pan.

As you can see both the pans fit snugly over both the top & bottom of the Mkettle, with the Trangia, height adjustment cup, + a holder which came with the ALOCS Stove for boiling your pans on, all fit in side the bottom base of the Mkettle.

Everything went together nicely apart from the bag that the Mkettle came in, the two Robens Loner pans are slightly to big dia" wise for the bag to cover, that's the next project.

All in all this is a prefect set up for me, since I'll be alone, it would suit two people but obviously boiling/cooking time would be longer.

Forgot, I've one more item to make, & that's a two piece aluminum pan rest for the base, whilst using it to boil/cook on, the pans fit, but not very good.

I'll add another picture after I've sorted it.

I'm sticking with the Trangia, since it's original, & it beat the ALOCS copy, this will do as a backup.

Fairly chuffed with the out come, cannot wait to try it out in the field.

SS.

Latest posts

Back