Mini Mylar food packet

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicknladee

Reaction score
I was wandering around and found this little tidbit and wanted to share. I'm thinking it might be nice for small packets stuffed in your buckets for variety.

Take CapriSun pouches (you know...those little mylar bags of juice with straws to make mini mylar food packets. Cut the pouch all the way across right under the straw spout. There is a small plastic strip on the inside that needs to be removed also. Then you rinse/wash it clean (dry too). Fill it with whatever food you want. I was thinking for myself I'd seal small pouches of spices/herbs but you could do rice, beans, dried fruit/veggies, etc. Then you seal it. They suggested a paper towel and a hair straightener or an iron. Now you have a small ration pack sealed in Mylar. You can add an O2 absorber. I would think you could suck out most of the air with your FoodSaver tube attachment and seal.

Sounds like a good idea... but what do you do with the crap in the pouches? I mean the stuff that comes in them to begin with.

Sounds like a good idea... but what do you do with the crap in the pouches? I mean the stuff that comes in them to begin with.
Lol, i don't drink the stuff either and no kids at home but i was gonna see if my brother's girl drank them. Otherwise i've used the liquid in wasp traps around the place. We have a problem with them.

If I had a ready supply I'd use them but I'm more inclined to just make smaller mylar packets from bigger bags on hand. Small mylar packets of food would be good for a BOB: powdered eggs, bacon bits and powdered cheese w/ seasoning for breakfast and etc

I was wandering around and found this little tidbit and wanted to share. I'm thinking it might be nice for small packets stuffed in your buckets for variety.

Take CapriSun pouches (you know...those little mylar bags of juice with straws to make mini mylar food packets. Cut the pouch all the way across right under the straw spout. There is a small plastic strip on the inside that needs to be removed also. Then you rinse/wash it clean (dry too). Fill it with whatever food you want. I was thinking for myself I'd seal small pouches of spices/herbs but you could do rice, beans, dried fruit/veggies, etc. Then you seal it. They suggested a paper towel and a hair straightener or an iron. Now you have a small ration pack sealed in Mylar. You can add an O2 absorber. I would think you could suck out most of the air with your FoodSaver tube attachment and seal.
I like this idea for a three day pack, and I have kids who will drink them.....

Great idea! I'm going to test it, put in a few different things, spices, rice, flour. I'm testing it for a couple weeks, Ill let you know how the seal holds.

We have a lot of stuff in small Mylar bags. I seal all my bags with a hair straightener. I found some at garage sales for $1.00 each. The 5gal. bags I use a vacuum the get the air out and the small bags I seal the almost all the way and them use a straw to get the rest of the air out. It works great. I don't use paper towels. As for O2 absorbers, I use hand warmers. I get them at Wally World on clearance for hardly nothing. I find they work just as good as the O2 absorbers you buy on line, if not better. And they are cheaper.

Ok I have to ask how do you use the hand-warmers, cause that is something I can get nearby. *mumbles* O2 absorbers the shipping cost is twice as much as the price around here.

there's a little metal object inside of the hand warmer.some of them you use both hands.grab one side with one hand n other side with other hand and click it.thats when it starts working.and thats when you put it into the bag/bucket of food.and it'll stop working when there's not enough air left for it to work

The ones you can get from Wal-Mart work well. All you have to do is open the pack and shake or rub them between your fingers. You will feel them start to get hot. You know then that they are working. You then put them in the Mylar bag and seal it. Try to take as much air out of the bag as you can. I put the warmer in the bag and seal it with a hair straightener far enough to still be able to put a drinking straw in.. Hold the Mylar bag tight around the straw with your fingers and suck the air out. Pull the straw out while keeping a tight clamp on the bag so the air doesn't get back in and finish the seal. It's a bit tricky but it works. With a little practice, you will become a pro at it. I have at least 400 bags sealed and they have yet to lose their seal. Some are over 3yrs. old. I open a bag every once in a while and use the contents to make sure all is OK. If you have any problems, let me know.

Just think about the possibilities...you can seal ammo, matches, not just food!

For matches, I would prefer using those old Kodak Film cannisters (if you can still find them at this day and age) made of plastic. Those things really sealed well and the under of the cap can have the scratching surface for the matches.

Latest posts

Back