Milk Cows

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Claire and I found a nice clover patch on tonight’s walk. She ended up doing much better today than yesterday. . . . Like we never had our pause in training. Think tomorrow I will run her back thru the milking parlor. 0381E496-FB01-4815-B98A-25531D77BD10.jpeg

Last edited:
I have been walking Claire inside the property for awhile now and she has just done very good. Hunny decided to retrain Jake. He did ok but it will still be awhile for him. We ended up taking Claire down the backside of our property down the pipeline to eat on the underbrush and trees behind us. She did great on the lead. We had taken Jake back to the big pasture beforehand.

45C929B8-23BA-4D41-979A-0A33176DC13B.jpeg She also got her first hair cut from her tail.
018DBEEC-CE1F-4FFA-8F84-4EEC38AEF44F.jpeg

While out on our walk tonight, Claire actually stepped on my foot after she heard a loud sound and got spooked. . . She is around 750 lbs, but this sort of thing happens on occasion. It really hurt at the time but I finished our walk, no problem. Just thankful it is on the foot that already hurts when walking because of a corn. I already limp on that foot when it acts up so no difference if it the top/bottom/or both sides. . . :D When I took her back to her pasture and took off her halter, she wanted to thank me by licking all over my arm, trying to put the whole thing in her mouth and face. She is just the sweetest. . . .

How much milk are you getting off her? She is a pretty girl. Very filled out.
Sorry it took me so long to respond. iPhone issues 🤬
We started with a gallon on day 2 of her being here and she’s upped daily production to 2 and 1/4 gals as of yesterday. Thank God we got a milking machine. The changing weather isn’t being kind to my arthritic hands!

Sorry it took me so long to respond. iPhone issues 🤬
We started with a gallon on day 2 of her being here and she’s upped daily production to 2 and 1/4 gals as of yesterday. Thank God we got a milking machine. The changing weather isn’t being kind to my arthritic hands!
No worries at all about the phone issues, been there and done that one. . very frustrating at times. What kind of cow is she? My first thoughts looking at her being so filled out was a beef breed? I have been known to milk some of our beef cows but only because momma was not feeding their babies. With her giving around 2 gallons a day is great for a family cow. Are you getting the cream and able to make butter? Even if you don't have a churn, you can do it in a jar. After Claire I may need to rethink my milk options since I work full time now and cheese making take hours.

With my last Jersey, Betsey was giving about 5 1/2 gallons a day and I was making cheese like crazy everyday. I am expecting the same with Claire when she does birth, but she is apparently still young, she will be 2 on July 28th, and out run the 2 bulls we have. . .

Last edited:
When I just worked a couple days a week having Betsey, I started out milking by hand every morning and then evening. When Hunny had to do the morning milking on the days I worked, he looked into getting a milking machine. In all honesty, I am glad he did. I now have wrist issues, mainly due to work and have to wear wrist bands on each hand and even then it can wake me up sometimes.

When we had our dairy farm, I had my favorite. She was very loving and would give me rides around the pasture. Sometimes I would get up early to help my dad milk the cows and by mid-morning I would be pooped out. I would go out to the pasture and get on my favorite cow and go to sleep. I was probably around 10 or 12 years old at the time. I think her name was Betsy, not for sure anymore. It was a long time ago.

No worries at all about the phone issues, been there and done that one. . very frustrating at times. What kind of cow is she? My first thoughts looking at her being so filled out was a beef breed? I have been known to milk some of our beef cows but only because momma was not feeding their babies. With her giving around 2 gallons a day is great for a family cow. Are you getting the cream and able to make butter? Even if you don't have a churn, you can do it in a jar. After Claire I may need to rethink my milk options since I work full time now and cheese making take hours.

With my last Jersey, Betsey was giving about 5 1/2 gallons a day and I was making cheese like crazy everyday. I am expecting the same with Claire when she does birth, but she is apparently still young, she will be 2 on July 28th, and out run the 2 bulls we have. . .

It's amazing how much milk you can get out of a cow.
I drink a lot of milk usually around a gallon every two days but there's no way I could come close to keeping up. Besides making butter and cheese what do you do with whats left? Sell it to the locals?
I sure miss when we lived in the boonies as a kid and our place backed up to a dairy farm. The Farmer would bring you milk,cream and butter and leave it on the doorstep in a cooler. Man how I miss that milk!! It came in the glass bottle with the paper cap.
The Wife and I have talked about getting a Dairy cow once we get out of Houston.

I don't know much about cows but I've been having the same realization about gardening recently. I'm shocked how little it takes to make a huge difference.

Besides making butter and cheese what do you do with whats left? Sell it to the locals?
Sell or barter. Imagine everyone had a surplus of *something* they produce. Bye-bye food shortages. Hello to strong communities.

I don't know much about cows but I've been having the same realization about gardening recently. I'm shocked how little it takes to make a huge difference.

Sell or barter. Imagine everyone had a surplus of *something* they produce. Bye-bye food shortages. Hello to strong communities.

If things got really bad that cow would have to be protected day and night.
I jokingly told the Wife we'd have to keep the thing in the living room.
Any animal that produced food would become a target.

I drink a lot of milk usually around a gallon every two days but there's no way I could come close to keeping up. Besides making butter and cheese what do you do with whats left? Sell it to the locals?
I sure miss when we lived in the boonies as a kid and our place backed up to a dairy farm. The Farmer would bring you milk,cream and butter and leave it on the doorstep in a cooler. Man how I miss that milk!! It came in the glass bottle with the paper cap.
The Wife and I have talked about getting a Dairy cow once we get out of Houston.
When I was milking Betsey Lou and getting a little over 5 gallons a day, we were drinking the milk, skimming the cream, making butter and making all kinds of cheeses to use. . . from fresh cheese all the way up to a cheddar. I didn't go into the harder cheeses like Romano or Parm. The excess could be used as a barter in hard times. It's just not legal to do so in my state without a license. But it can be very beneficial to use out in the garden.

So would a running car, an arsenal, a garden, a pantry, a cache of silver coins, not to mention an attractive wife or daughter.

What's your point?

A running car can be made to look like a broken down piece of shit.
Dont know about you but I dont leave my "arsenal" in the front yard.
Same with my pantry or my silver coins.
Dont have a daughter but the Wife can take care of Herself,give Her a try if you want your nuts blown off.
So we're left with the garden. I'd recommend you grow it in a place thats out of sight from the road and have some guinea fowl running around,they put up a huge racket if anyone steps on your property.

Anything else ya jerkoff?

Last edited:
I thought the point was made. . . a cow, since this IS a cow thread, would become a target along with most all other farm animals. Most do not realize you have some that are considered milk verses beef and will just go after all not realizing the benefits of a milk producer, but then maybe they would not even care.

A running car can be made to look like a broken down piece of shit.
Dont know about you but I dont leave my "arsenal" in the front yard.
Same with my pantry or my silver coins.
Dont have a daughter but the Wife can take care of Herself,give Her a try if you want your nuts blown off.
So we're left with the garden. I'd recommend you grow it in a place thats out of sight from the road and have some guinea fowl running around,they put up a huge racket if anyone steps on your property.

Anything else asshole?
I am changing my vote from like to LOVE. . . To heck with being polite to others feelings tonight. I have pulled my sciatic nerve so in pain most of the day. I chuckled at your post and good for you. Sorry guys, I am at the point I don't give a crap about any bodies "feelings" right now.

Latest posts

Back