Milk Cows

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I did have to work last night, but actually went in at 3pm in thinking of getting off by 11pm in hopes of being able to home at a descent hour and a few hours sleep and IF that were to actually happen, kinda hoped to be able to go today, but even with well intentions, it did not happen the way I wanted. I ended up working an additional 3 1/2 hours on what I needed to get done and then both our 11 pm and 12 am persons did not show up. . . . I didnt get out of bed till 11 am and it was too late in the day by then. Did end up going to the fabric store though. I am going to be making oldest granddaughter some princess dress up cloths for her up coming birthday and since we were in town hunny needed to make a home improvement store run and we needed to go find first birthday presents for the two youngest granddaughters.

Well she is finally home!
IMG_20200909_164505.jpg

Right now I am leaning towards Clara Belle. When we got to the dairy, he had 2 to chose from. One the 2 week old and then this one that was 6 weeks old. I felt that the 6 week old could handle the stress of being moved a little better than the younger and this one seemed to have warmed up to me pretty fast. She was sniffing and licking me from the get go. A large goat halter ended up being a perfect fit for her and we tied her into the back of the truck. We had put the headache rack on the back and also some boards to hold her in and not fall out. Lose enough that she could lay down if she wanted to and we also put some fresh hay down for her to lay on and she did end up eating some on the way home too. She calmed down rather quickly and was basically up and down on the 150 miles home.
Once here, I put her in a smaller pen I use as my sick barn. I wanted her in a contained area where she and I can bond and she gets down the bottle feeding first. I spent the first hour and a half out with her and after a lot of coaxing she downed 2 quarts of milk replacer. I did end up putting my goat Sissy over with her so she doesn't get to lonely when I'm not out there, but in all honesty Sissy didn't seem impressed.:)
Next milk feeding should be at 5 AM but she also has hay out there to eat on and fresh water to drink. I just needed to come inside to eat since I hadn't yet today. . . . I was getting a headache so that had to get taken care of. I'll be heading back out soon.

Right now I am leaning towards Clara Belle. When we got to the dairy, he had 2 to chose from. One the 2 week old and then this one that was 6 weeks old. I felt that the 6 week old could handle the stress of being moved a little better than the younger and this one seemed to have warmed up to me pretty fast. She was sniffing and licking me from the get go. A large goat halter ended up being a perfect fit for her and we tied her into the back of the truck. We had put the headache rack on the back and also some boards to hold her in and not fall out. Lose enough that she could lay down if she wanted to and we also put some fresh hay down for her to lay on and she did end up eating some on the way home too. She calmed down rather quickly and was basically up and down on the 150 miles home.
Once here, I put her in a smaller pen I use as my sick barn. I wanted her in a contained area where she and I can bond and she gets down the bottle feeding first. I spent the first hour and a half out with her and after a lot of coaxing she downed 2 quarts of milk replacer. I did end up putting my goat Sissy over with her so she doesn't get to lonely when I'm not out there, but in all honesty Sissy didn't seem impressed.:)
Next milk feeding should be at 5 AM but she also has hay out there to eat on and fresh water to drink. I just needed to come inside to eat since I hadn't yet today. . . . I was getting a headache so that had to get taken care of. I'll be heading back out soon.

She is perfect Dani! How young can calves eat hay? Will you bottle feed her for a long time? Glad you are getting something to eat. You’ve got to be tired and hungry!

We have had them start nibbling grass and hay after just before or after 3 weeks. I will be bottle feeding her at least 2 month. It all depends on her. Our beef cow Big Mom will let her calf still suck on her at a year old. . . She learned how to be a momma from my Jersey and they tend to be great mommas. . . Sometimes even too well and try stealing other calves to nurse.

Since Clara Belle was basically tied today on the way home, I am not really going to start halter breaking and leading again until tomorrow except I did put the halter back on tonight just so she gets used to it. Tomorrow I will put it back on and then tie it off for a few hours. I want her to learn that if the lead is on she can not break away from it. I would rather her fight a post instead of me. I want her to have good experiences with me.
Aww we, what a pretty. Steak!
She is my soon to be milk cow. She will be working for her pay eventually. Lord knows I have enough beef on the hoof running around here already.

As I said, Sissy was not impressed at all and when I went back out after I had dinner Sissy had actually jumped the fence and when I saw she wasnt there called her name. She answered back. . . .was standing by the front goat pasture. . . Well that didn't work out so well :D So Clara Belle is by herself tonight. The mosquitoes finally ran me off.

We have had them start nibbling grass and hay after just before or after 3 weeks. I will be bottle feeding her at least 2 month. It all depends on her. Our beef cow Big Mom will let her calf still suck on her at a year old. . . She learned how to be a momma from my Jersey and they tend to be great mommas. . . Sometimes even too well and try stealing other calves to nurse.

Forgot to say Clara Belle is a lovely and fitting name for her! It seems in every type of animal, including humans, there are good mammas and then the not so good ones.

I went out to give Clara her bottle this morning at 5 am. Around 8 am I put her halter back on with the lead. I ended up working with her instead of just tying her off. She didn't fight too much so thought I would go ahead and start training. 8 am was just in her small pen, which she did ok. She is young and wants to play, but I also want her to know I am in control when that halter goes on, By her next bottle feeding time at 11am, I put the halter and lead on to walk her out to the golf cart to get fed and back in her pen. I am trying out small and increasing each time. A little after that 11 o'clock feeding, hunny wanted in her pen to cut down some brush so I led her outside since I knew she would not like it when the weed wacker started up. I led her around the big garden to see the goats on the other side. They all sniffed and checked each other out. And then back to her pen. I am trying out the "Whoa" and "Come on" with her, which she is doing ok with right now. When she gets too fast, I tell her whoa and pull on her lead. When she stops to sniff around I will give her a slight tug and tell her come on with a little pat on her backside with my hand. This seemed to work out ok for us considering this is just the first day. I did learn that my dog Maggie has to be in the house while I am trying to work with Clara though. Poor baby ended up doing a somersault. .

I will be working tonight so came in for a shower and try to take a nap before 5 pm feeding. No more going into work early for awhile but feeding at 5am it should work out good.

Latest posts

Back