Milk Cows

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It wont be long before she out grows the large goat halter. Hunny went to work with his buddy today and when he came home I greeted him and he started to tell me about his day when I spotted a new blue halter in his hand. . . . I got excited! It is adjustable for her nose and head. She has already shown progress with the halter and lead breaking today. I left the lead on her but only while I was out supervising. I am probably being over protective but I would honestly worry too much if I couldn't see her with it on. Yesterday I woke up at 3:30am knowing she needed her bottle at 5. After working last night I got off by 2:30 but stayed up since she needed her bottle. After she was fed I did get a few hours sleep but wide awake by 10 am knowing she needed her bottle by 11. . . I was expecting to go into work tonight expecting a couple trucks, but only a few items came in from the warehouse. So instead of trying to take a nap today, I ended up staying up so I could sleep tonight. Tomorrow I have a grand baby turning 2 and her party is 2 hours away. So tomorrow I will be able to do the first 2 feedings, go to the party with 4 grand babies and then come home for a late feeding, clean up and off to work until I can't go anymore. I already told boss lady's assistant I will work until I can't go anymore since my truck didn't show up today. I am scheduled 2 days a week and then go in for a truck but I already had these plans. I can't help if the truck is behind schedule. I'll get the majority done though and go back in on my scheduled day the day after to finish up what I cant get done. And then try to stay up for the next 5 am feeding.

It wont be long before she out grows the large goat halter. Hunny went to work with his buddy today and when he came home I greeted him and he started to tell me about his day when I spotted a new blue halter in his hand. . . . I got excited! It is adjustable for her nose and head. She has already shown progress with the halter and lead breaking today. I left the lead on her but only while I was out supervising. I am probably being over protective but I would honestly worry too much if I couldn't see her with it on. Yesterday I woke up at 3:30am knowing she needed her bottle at 5. After working last night I got off by 2:30 but stayed up since she needed her bottle. After she was fed I did get a few hours sleep but wide awake by 10 am knowing she needed her bottle by 11. . . I was expecting to go into work tonight expecting a couple trucks, but only a few items came in from the warehouse. So instead of trying to take a nap today, I ended up staying up so I could sleep tonight. Tomorrow I have a grand baby turning 2 and her party is 2 hours away. So tomorrow I will be able to do the first 2 feedings, go to the party with 4 grand babies and then come home for a late feeding, clean up and off to work until I can't go anymore. I already told boss lady's assistant I will work until I can't go anymore since my truck didn't show up today. I am scheduled 2 days a week and then go in for a truck but I already had these plans. I can't help if the truck is behind schedule. I'll get the majority done though and go back in on my scheduled day the day after to finish up what I cant get done. And then try to stay up for the next 5 am feeding.

Luv hearing your stories of Belle! A blue halter sounds cool. Enjoy those grand babies today!

I've been working with her everyday and she had made great progress. This morning she walked and didn't try to run so didn't even have to say whoa at all. She stops when I stop. I did have to tell her come on a couple times when I led her by my dog Buddy. She kept her eyes on him and wanted to slow down and sniff at him. This morning we stayed in her small area, but this afternoon I will try her out around the garden.

I've been working with her everyday and she had made great progress. This morning she walked and didn't try to run so didn't even have to say whoa at all. She stops when I stop. I did have to tell her come on a couple times when I led her by my dog Buddy. She kept her eyes on him and wanted to slow down and sniff at him. This morning we stayed in her small area, but this afternoon I will try her out around the garden.

You are making such great progress! Not surprised she is a bit leery of the dog.

After Mid Morning feeding I worked with ClaraBelle out in her little area which she did try to struggle with me today, but yet when I dropped the lead, she still wanted to follow me around. Later this afternoon I put the lead back on and took her around the garden area. I dont do this everyday, but should. On days I work, I normally only work with her in her little pen. Since I am only off two days a week now it's not enough I am afraid. When I took her out today she was very excited. . . Wanted to run and had to say "whoa" many times.
I did end up taking her halter off this evening. It was just getting way to tight and the next halter I could find locally is for a horse that weighs around 100lbs so she needs to grow into it. I will put it on in the morning though. Just thought she would like to have it off for awhile. I scratched all under her chin and neck which she loves putting her head on my knee at first then worked her way up to my shoulder.

After Mid Morning feeding I worked with ClaraBelle out in her little area which she did try to struggle with me today, but yet when I dropped the lead, she still wanted to follow me around. Later this afternoon I put the lead back on and took her around the garden area. I dont do this everyday, but should. On days I work, I normally only work with her in her little pen. Since I am only off two days a week now it's not enough I am afraid. When I took her out today she was very excited. . . Wanted to run and had to say "whoa" many times.
I did end up taking her halter off this evening. It was just getting way to tight and the next halter I could find locally is for a horse that weighs around 100lbs so she needs to grow into it. I will put it on in the morning though. Just thought she would like to have it off for awhile. I scratched all under her chin and neck which she loves putting her head on my knee at first then worked her way up to my shoulder.

Sounds like you and Clara Belle are bonding well! About how much does she weigh? Is it okay to let her have run and fun time or does she need to learn to follow you first?

She is probably around 75 lbs right now. The little area I have her in right now allows her to do some running and playing. Hunny talked about putting his little calf that was born at the end of May in with her. Good luck with that. . . She is a wild one. I don't want Clara Belle learning any had habits from her. Once she gets a little better trained, I will put her in with my goats. Afraid that the yard where we do our longer walks is just too big of an area to let her run right now. It's connected to the front and backyard along with the lane going down to the big pasture.

Well she out grew her halter and there have been some days I wasn't able to work her. Saturday before we went to youngest granddaughters birthday party we made a stop over at Tractor Supply so I could get her a poly rope type. It fits well but the only ones I could find was one that you clip onto something instead of having a lead type. But it works. She really doesn't fight it much at all. I was worried she had forgotten since it had been a few days, but she followed me around with no problems so yay!!

Sunday the oldest son came over and brought his 2 yr old. :) I so enjoyed my time with her! We went out to Clara Bella's pen for her to meet. I was sitting kneeled down with little one sitting on my lap when Clarabelle came behind me to rest her head on top of my head. Little One turned around to look with her eye brows down. . . I thought that was just too funny.

Today was the first day that I let her out of her pen to just run around. She had so much fun! Had to check out the goats but mainly spent her time out front where we have Kay and her calf that was born back at the end of May. Momma and calf came running over! Just too funny when momma was talking to her. The calfs look a lot alike in coloring. Had to tell momma this was my calf and it was ok.

I did half way worry about getting her back into her pen. Hunny said I should put her lead on but I knew she was going to be running and kicking. . . It wouldn't have stayed on. I let her run and explore for about an hour. Asked hunny to keep an eye on her while I went to make up a bottle. That is what lured her back in with no problem. :)

Danil54grl, when I see your online name I automatically think "Danigirl" which just so happens to be the name of the Brown Swiss cow I bought about 6 weeks ago. Every day with her I struggle not to give on to the feeling I've bitten off more than I can chew. Danigirl is a 19 month old, 4 months pregnant confirmed by ultrasound. She was ai'd with sexed semen from a polled jersey bull for a heifer calf. She probably weighs right around 1200 pounds but she thinks she's a 20 pound puppy. She bounces around always wanting to play and she's not at all careful about slinging her weight around. I cannot go into the pasture with her for fear she will hurt me with her ridiculous antics. Fortunately her prior owner had already worked extensively with her on stanchion training and I just finished building her stanchion, milking parlor and run in so I can begin working with her. I am anxious for any advice on how to calm this girl down other than just waiting for her to have this baby.

Attachments

• received_3693498460703015~2.jpeg
    received_3693498460703015~2.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20201102_143636.jpg
    IMG_20201102_143636.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20201103_161435.jpg
    IMG_20201103_161435.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 9
Clara is now a little over 3 months old. In this pic I had just let her out of her pen to run around for awhile. You can see how wet we have been by the mud on her. . . She needs a bath but its been rather too cold for that right now. She made a run over to the garden to eat on the couple sugar canes that popped up.

This morning I took her on her walk with the halter. She knows when it is on she has to do what I say. She did get spooked today from a bird making noises in an oak tree while we walked by but she just bucks up a little but doesn't really pull. She wants to stop and I will stroke on her neck and talk to her softly and she calms down. We normally go check out the "big" cows where the bulls hang out then up to where our mamas and calves are, circling the garden and seeing mamas a couple times.

This evening when I let her run she normally hangs out with the mamas up front and following me around. When I got in the golf cart to go feed the goats she wanted to run beside me. . . She is just my sweetheart. . . . 😍 😍 It's just funny when she spots me and runs up at a full gallop putting on her "brakes" at the last minute.

Danil54grl, when I see your online name I automatically think "Danigirl" which just so happens to be the name of the Brown Swiss cow I bought about 6 weeks ago. Every day with her I struggle not to give on to the feeling I've bitten off more than I can chew. Danigirl is a 19 month old, 4 months pregnant confirmed by ultrasound. She was ai'd with sexed semen from a polled jersey bull for a heifer calf. She probably weighs right around 1200 pounds but she thinks she's a 20 pound puppy. She bounces around always wanting to play and she's not at all careful about slinging her weight around. I cannot go into the pasture with her for fear she will hurt me with her ridiculous antics. Fortunately her prior owner had already worked extensively with her on stanchion training and I just finished building her stanchion, milking parlor and run in so I can begin working with her. I am anxious for any advice on how to calm this girl down other than just waiting for her to have this baby.
@QuietH3art Oh how I wish I could give you some answers. Even after having this baby she may not settle down. We have pretty much been around all of our since day one, except for Betsey Lou, my first milk cow. She was originally at a dairy and then we bought her from a man who used her as a nurse cow. She was basically trained when we got her and we only dealt with a few days of having to "retrain" her to how we wanted to do things here for milking.

She is a pretty girl. . . reminds me of my Betsey Lou.

Clara is now a little over 3 months old. In this pic I had just let her out of her pen to run around for awhile. You can see how wet we have been by the mud on her. . . She needs a bath but its been rather too cold for that right now. She made a run over to the garden to eat on the couple sugar canes that popped up.

This morning I took her on her walk with the halter. She knows when it is on she has to do what I say. She did get spooked today from a bird making noises in an oak tree while we walked by but she just bucks up a little but doesn't really pull. She wants to stop and I will stroke on her neck and talk to her softly and she calms down. We normally go check out the "big" cows where the bulls hang out then up to where our mamas and calves are, circling the garden and seeing mamas a couple times.

This evening when I let her run she normally hangs out with the mamas up front and following me around. When I got in the golf cart to go feed the goats she wanted to run beside me. . . She is just my sweetheart. . . . 😍 😍 It's just funny when she spots me and runs up at a full gallop putting on her "brakes" at the last minute.

AWWW! How sweet she runs along with you! 😍😍😍

AWWW! How sweet she runs along with you! 😍😍😍
Did you notice how thick and curly her hair has gotten? I am expecting a cold winter for our area. We have already had a frost and almost killed off my tomatoes that I have in the backyard. Peppers are still ok right now.

Hunny has been hard at work today fixing up my milk parlor by replacing all the rotten wood on the staunch and hanging lights. He had already fixed the leaky roof.

Clara and I walk thru the milk parlor and up on the staunch a little less than a dozen times. I really wanted to get her used to this while she was still young so this will now become a part of our everyday walk. She was very hesitant the first couple times going up the ramp and needed coaxing to go thru. By the end she was going right up following me. Once she starts eating more grain, think that will be where I feed her, may just take her in there to bottle feed before I take her back o her little area. During the day I put her in he front goat pasture do she has room to play along side the other two calved. At evening feeding I take her back to her area so a little stop passing the milk parlor is no big deal.

Latest posts

Back