Michigan dam failure

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad has a work site in Michigan and is there right now. He isn't directly affected but some of the roads he was taking were flooded and had to take an alternate route.
Glad he is safe. A dam bursting isn’t something anyone can easily prep for. Luckily no one so far has lost a life but a whole lot lost their livelihoods and homes.

The way to prep for a dam failure is to not live below a dam!
Yup living under a typical dam is just a type of Russian Roulette, its as daft as building a home in an avalanche zone or a log cabin in a high risk forest fire area. And nearly as stupid as building on or near an active faultline :)

Many people in Sanford and Midland are just now learning that their insurance doesn't cover floods.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michigan-dam-failures-evacuations-flooding-state-of-emergency/
Another resident, Linda Chartrand, said she had to leave her Wixom Lake home. "Our whole life was in that house underwater. We called the insurance company and they said they won't cover anything," Chartrand said. "We're retired, this is all we have and now there's no help whatsoever."

If there is no negligence on the part of the dam owners, builders, or operators, then the victims don't stand much chance of getting a legal settlement with a class action suit. "Act of God" However, there does appear to be negligence, so the ambulance chasers are already foaming at the mouth in anticipation of a feeding frenzy.

Last edited:
Yup living under a typical dam is just a type of Russian Roulette, its as daft as building a home in an avalanche zone or a log cabin in a high risk forest fire area. And nearly as stupid as building on or near an active faultline :)

Not to mention volcanoes thus I'm pretty sure I'm covered by 2 of your assessment and 1 you didn't include making 3 for me. ;)

Though 2 active volcanoes flank me East of me and West of me.

Many people in Sanford and Midland are just now learning that their insurance doesn't cover floods.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michigan-dam-failures-evacuations-flooding-state-of-emergency/

If there is no negligence on the part of the dam owners, builders, or operators, then the victims don't stand much chance of getting a legal settlement with a class action suit. "Act of God" However, there does appear to be negligence, so the ambulance chasers are already foaming at the mouth in anticipation of a feeding frenzy.

The way I see it, if one lives below a damn and doesn't know the policy covers and ask no questions then who is to blame! Owners of the dam will file bankruptcy as PG&E in California done to minimize wildfire liabilities, we are going to see this with the dam failures.

We have known about home owners insurance compare not covering floods for years now. We ha e to have a separate policy for that, although we have never flooded. It's common knowledge here but our area deals with flooding issues on a regular basis. . . And yet some here are still surprised. I would think their are a lot of people who assume by having home owners insurance they would be covered by just about anything.

Even if they are able to hold the dam owners accountable for negligence, that will take years, and the court system is already backlogged because of COVID-19. This is happening in a state that already has the highest mortality rate for COVID-19. With thousands of people displaced that could cause further transmission as people who would have been home have to come into contact with other people.

We have known about home owners insurance compare not covering floods for years now. We ha e to have a separate policy for that, although we have never flooded. It's common knowledge here but our area deals with flooding issues on a regular basis. . . And yet some here are still surprised. I would think their are a lot of people who assume by having home owners insurance they would be covered by just about anything.

FEMA controls flood insurance, if FEMA declared an area a flood zone you can get it, if FEMA haven't declared an area a flood zone good luck getting any type of flood insurance except through roof and broken pipes.

FEMA controls flood insurance, if FEMA declared an area a flood zone you can get it, if FEMA haven't declared an area a flood zone good luck getting any type of flood insurance except through roof and broken pipes.
Our flood insurance is actually thru Texas Windstorm. If we have a hurricane that pushes water inland we are covered. It would have covered us during Harvey had we gotten flooded. Our area was hit hard and we had a lot of dams opened at that time, so the houses that weren't flooded by the rains got flooded when the dams were opened before they burst. It was still covered because of flooding.

The only problem with flood insurance is how many can actually afford an additional policy right now. I am a big believer of being financially responsible and living within my means. Unfortunately the vast majority of people in the US live paycheck to paycheck and are overextended. Throw in an approximate 20% unemployment rate and you’re looking at a train wreck.
A whole other issue is how few people actually ask or research things like risk factors when looking at houses. Most look at curb appeal and school districts at best. Good advice is don’t believe anything your realtor says without doing a little research yourself too. Salesmen want to make a commission. Most will omit bad details but a lot are willing to flat out lie for that money. In the old days you had to go down to court house basements and dig through old records. Now days you can find a wealth of detailed information using google while lounging on your couch in your underwear. I agree with doc, the only way to prep for a dam failure is to not live below one. Dig into learning what risks are in the area from dams, low lying areas, historical hazards, nuclear plants, chemical plants or any kind of potential hazards before locking in on what is the biggest investment most will ever make in their lifetime. Also, only buy what you can actually afford. Being in debt up to your ears for thirty years is almost as bad as being married to a horrible partner.

Latest posts

Back