methane digester

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicholas stout

Reaction score
Hey yall! Im new to the site and looking for advice and coversation with like minded people!
So I am designing a % 100 self sustainable underground surthrival bunker.
One feature I am designing is a methane digester. I understand the basic concept but I have some issues I am still working though.
Here is my scenario:
The digester must be able to handle the work load of:
10 people's human waste.
10 rabbits waste.
10 chickens waste.
20 quails waste.
And kitchen scraps.
im looking to be able to use this system indefinitely with routine maintenance of course.

The gas will be used for heating, cooking and potential clothing and bedding drying.

Has anyone here ever designed a system of this size and or know of a good web resorce or company?

Thanks in advance folks!

I know you best be careful cus if not done correctly it could cause a big bang in your bunker. I work for veolia water the worlds largest provider of waste water treatment and we are currently constructing a Biothane waste water treatment plant which is the same concept but our methane will be burnt off by a large torch outside the main building like they have at landfills . I am maintainance for our division and have not yet gone through complete training on the system but when i have i will make sure to post some key factors. I do know that it is called anerobic digestion which is bacteria that need very little to know oxygen to survive and function they actually create there own oxygen then they feed on compost and release waste in the form of methane . but anyway if you google it there are several diagrams of different systems and wikipedia gives a good break down and explanation.

Looking at your ideas, you can probably use the methane for a multi-task system.

Burn the methane to heat water. Steam turns a turbine to generate electricity, then at the same time, the Steam is distilled to become drinking water...

Just my 2 cents...

hey thanks for the replies guys! I know it can be dangerous that's why I'm not jumping head first into the Thing also when it is finished I will have it inspected. after you dig into one I would love to hear what you find out!

Overlord, I had thought of the water heater but those other ideas are PURE GOLD and they hadnt even crossed my mind!
im off to do more research!

Tbh, that's not the way id go about it. to risky and hard to maintain.
As Ken said above, its very flammable. its the whole reason we have p-traps onto toilets and other plumbing. a simple spark could blow up a whole street, and has happened before. methane is also toxic to breath....soo...you have to put such waste in a sealed off compartment to even be able to reuse the waste for gas, what do you do when it fills up? Remember you're only using the gas, not the waste itself at this point. if you do use this method, I suggest gas readers/alerts for your living quarters, aand gas masks

Dang phone.... and gas masks just in case of leakage.
you'd also have to worry about exactly which doomsday disaster actually happens as well.
Just some points to think about.

Tbh, that's not the way id go about it. to risky and hard to maintain.
As Ken said above, its very flammable. its the whole reason we have p-traps onto toilets and other plumbing. a simple spark could blow up a whole street, and has happened before. methane is also toxic to breath....soo...you have to put such waste in a sealed off compartment to even be able to reuse the waste for gas, what do you do when it fills up? Remember you're only using the gas, not the waste itself at this point. if you do use this method, I suggest gas readers/alerts for your living quarters, aand gas masks
i agree ! granted most of your waste/compost will be eaten by the bacteria but some items/hard wastes will not be used and will have to be disposed of in a different manner wether it be spreading it on your feilds/gardens etc.

Methane by itself is not toxic. Bacteria in your digestive system produce methane, which is one of the components of a fart. When people die from gas inhalation it's because it displaces oxygen and they asphyxiate. The same thing would happen with any inert gas like nitrogen or helium.

Sewer gas however does contain toxic gasses, as does some natural gas.

Latest posts

Back