Medicinal Plants and usage.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savageagle

HamRadio/Office of Emergency Services/Fire-EMT-SAR
Reaction score
Below is something I would like to share from my survival guide, some you may already know and maybe some you don't. Somewhere in the midst of all my education and it's sharing someone may learn something, even me.

Alfalfa” is a good source of vitamin A,C,E,K and minerals calcium, potassium, phosphorous
and Iron and it’s indications are to prevent a avitaminoses of vitamins A,C,E and K.

Artichoke” helps bile evacuation and is a diuretic. It’s indication is liver disorders.

Chamomile” is a sedative and used for acidity and heartburn.

Dandelion” helps bile evacuation and helps constipation and muscular rheumatism.

Hop(S)” is a sedative and used for insomnia It is also known to have a positive effect on kidneys and bladder function.

Nettle” is an anti-hemorrhagic and known to have hypo-glycemic properties.

Senna” is a laxative and used for constipation.

Willow” is an anti-inflammatory and antiseptic and is good for flu and catarrh.

Birch” is found in most of temperate North America and the bark is used as paper and to cover canoes and cover shelters as well as torches. The inner bark can be eaten raw or cut into strips, cooked and eaten as noodles. The spring sap when boiled is like maple syrup. The young leaves can be dried and used to make a tea that is used for urinary infections and kidney stones.

Common “Cattails” are found in most of the US and southern Canada. Peeled roots can be eaten raw or cooked and are a very good survival food when they are extracted from the ground when not too frozen. When the heads are green they can be cooked and eaten as corn. When the heads are ripe and have become fluffy this fluff can be used as a very effective insulation additive to your clothing or as a pillow.

Crushed fresh oak leaves will promote the healing of wounds.

All of the above information is courtesy “The Ultimate Outdoors Book” By Paul Tawrell.
WARNING: You should “NEVER” eat “ANY” bush, tree, plant, seed, etc, unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are eating. If you eat the wrong thing you may be putting your life at risk. DO YOUR RESEARCH
BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO EAT ANYTHING FROM THE OUTDOORS!!

I plan on sharing various subjects in this book for my education as well as yours, in various threads and will post somewhere a complete directory of whats contained In the book. If you see a subject your interested in post a request and I’ll share what I can.
This book has educated me beyond what I could have learned from anyone and really, if you plan on surviving for a very long time you may run out of man-made resources, then what? This book will teach you 100% of everything you’d need to know to survive, wherever you are, in any climate at anytime of the year. Food, water, shelter, weapons, clothing, medicinal items, soaps/shampoos, how to travel in winter, summer, mountains, desert and water are just a few things you could learn. You could really be self-sufficient and survive.

Almost everything out in the yard can be eaten or brewed for medicine.....but most of the time it just gets stepped on or sprayed with weed killer, or peed on! I want to plant a lot of herbs in the yard that heal. Up the mountain nearby my husband and I enjoy digging seng.....and selling it! But next time, I think it would be better to store a bit here at the house, useful for building immunity. When I got strep last fall, my husband went to the creek in our yard and dug up some nice "yellow root" (goldenseal). I scraped and washed and chopped and boiled, and it was strong bitter going down. I sipped it regulary mixed with some comfrey leaves from the flower patch, then gathered some soft fuzzy mullien leaves (verbascum thapsus) to bring up the phlem. (good for bronchitis too.) I didn't skip the antibiotic from the doctor but I believed the herbs helped. On one side of the house is a good side yarrow patch I have been weeding today- yarrow brings down a fever and is safe enough to use on young children. Plants can become well known friends, with a little practice. I am looking forward to the poke salad, due to spring up soon, and this year I will be trying sauteed red bud pods.

People get way too dependent on Walgreens If shtf. Walgreens won't be open. Seems like that gets overlooked. Sounds like you thought about that too. I like the idea of stocking up on what you may need. Just incase of fire or unsafe conditions outdoors keeping you from the fresh goods.

You also can find alot of various medicines that you have to get a prescription from a Doctor for at animal pet supply stores like antibiotics and they are the same name brands like Eurythromiacin which is a anti-bacterial medicine. There are lot's of others and when getting these from a pet supply you don't need a prescription. Good place to stock up. Myself I have a small stock of pian meds and antibiotics, various soft pain meds like aleve and the like. These in cases will not be anough to last especially being an EMT I will most likely be of service to those in need of medical care when I can but of course retain the majority for myself and loved ones.
The concern when tshf is that you can get a scratch and that will be all it will take for an infection to set in and you can lose your life if it's is not properly treated, especially when there will not be a "walgreens" to get basic care products like neosporan, band-aids and gauze. those things by the way are also on my monthly list of "NTG's, (need to get)" to stock up on and should be part of your bug out bag. Also things like Pepto, alka-seltzer, antacid tablets and vasoline should be considered as part of things to stock up on.
If you look in your medicine cabinet you'll notice things that you may have forgotten were in there but you use these once in awhile. A small supply should be good for a great deal of time.
When thinking of what to stock up on, think again, and again and when your at your freinds place look in their medicine cabinet, not to snoop but to see what you may NOT be thinking of.

Aloe vera is an amazing plant with TONS of uses externally and internally • Halts the growth of cancer tumors.
• Lowers high cholesterol.
• Repairs "sludge blood" and reverses "sticky blood".
• Boosts the oxygenation of your blood.
• Eases inflammation and soothes arthritis pain.
• Protects the body from oxidative stress.
• Prevents kidney stones and protects the body from oxalates in coffee and tea.
• Alkalizes the body, helping to balance overly acidic dietary habits.
• Cures ulcers, IBS, Crohn's disease and other digestive disorders.
• Reduces high blood pressure natural, by treating the cause, not just the symptoms.
• Nourishes the body with minerals, vitamins, enzymes and glyconutrients.
• Accelerates healing from physical burns and radiation burns.
• Replaces dozens of first aid products, makes bandages and antibacterial sprays obsolete.
• Halts colon cancer, heals the intestines and lubricates the digestive tract.
• Ends constipation.
• Stabilizes blood sugar and reduces triglycerides in diabetics.
• Prevents and treats candida infections.
• Protects the kidneys from disease.
• Functions as nature's own "sports drink" for electrolyte balance, making common sports drinks obsolete.
• Boosts cardiovascular performance and physical endurance.
• Speeds recovery from injury or physical exertion.
• Hydrates the skin, accelerates skin repair.

We used to use blackberry or dewberry roots to cure diarrhea . Just pull it up and cut off a peice about an inch long. And scrape the bark off till it was all white. Then we would chew it and swoller the juice. Taste awful like chew an asperin with raw peanuts at the same time. But man did it work. Youd need to reroof the outhouse before you needed it.

Lord in heaven bill that brings back nightmares. That and sheep shit tea. If you said you were sick, Granny would boil some water and throw in sheep turds to steep. It's amazing how fast you got better. If you sat there and waited for the tea to cool enough to drink, well, you were put to bed, you really were sick.

But yeah, blackberry root will put a stopper in you for sure.

We were on spring break this week. I had a great time with my six year old in the woods, found quite a few new to me plants that I identified, including mandrake and blood root. Powerful stuff, but too scary to use from what I have read...acid eating your skin and all. Anyone with any experience with these?

My herb book says not to use without a doctor's supervision. Says the bloodroot is usual for cancer, skin eliments, and an expectorant, but there is no mention on preparation or dosage. Might be pretty in the garden, useful as paint, or clothing dye.

You had better be careful with stuff like that. Especially if you have children around
yes, true. Better safe than sorry.
One of favorite, most useful, and safe, medicinal plants is simply plantain. The large leaf, thick, dark plantain common in lawns. Plantain majoris. I chew it up for bee stings, also you can eat as a cooked green, although tough. People looked at me funny when I tried chewing it at a church function for some kid who got stung. Especially with the gooey spit and all.....but it does work wonders for taking out the sting and bringing down the swelling.
Also another safe one I use a lot is mullein, verbascum thapsus...I think...it is the fuzzy one that grows a lot on banks, thick leaves. Good for bronchitis. I use it fresh in a tea.

I've let Clyde know she's advertising, he'll take care of it. I really wish people would check the rules first.

I used to jump on people for advertising without speakin to Clyde first after all its only common courtesy but now I leave it to our moderators

id probally leave well enough alone..but then i aint the type to leave folks alone that cant even show such common respect towards others when they join a forum or group..it's kinda like going into someone else's home and just start helping your self to what they have without asking and getting permission first..

Hey I always appreciate a heads up in case I don't open that thread. Then I'm on them like a hen on a junebug.;)

here angela..read the rules..on acount they apply to you as welll... http://www.doomsdayprepperforums.com/index.php?help/terms
I've let Clyde know she's advertising, he'll take care of it. I really wish people would check the rules first.
I used to jump on people for advertising without speakin to Clyde first after all its only common courtesy but now I leave it to our moderators
id probally leave well enough alone..but then i aint the type to leave folks alone that cant even show such common respect towards others when they join a forum or group..it's kinda like going into someone else's home and just start helping your self to what they have without asking and getting permission first..
Hey I always appreciate a heads up in case I don't open that thread. Then I'm on them like a hen on a junebug.;)
I so do appreciate everyone's efforts in finding the advertisers/spammers!
Thanks for your loyalty, and all of the efforts and time you have blessed this site with.

Latest posts

Back