Medicare Enrollment

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatsyJo

Reaction score
Perhaps this post does not qualify as Pepper Talk, but I am in such a pickle I am to the point of being a really dill pill. I am going to change my supplemental Medicare insurance this year. The insurance I have had for years has been excellent, but I cannot afford it anymore. So now I am what to do who do I choose. I have spoke with my agent and was not the happiest of my choices. I made the mistake of filling out a Medicare Enrollment inquiry. Well my phone has not stopped ringing. Besides all of that I cannot understand Medicare and all the rest of the hullabaloo dealing with Medicare Insurance and Medicare Supplement. Now when it comes to Medicare Rx I never have heard so much double talk in all my life regarding a bottle of pills. The cost of prescriptions and having to dicker with the cost of the medicine listening to a pharmacy clerk who knows nothing about the drug you have been prescribed to take by your physician you start thinking, there is something wrong very wrong with all this medical stuff.šŸ˜°

Yes it's a mess. Husband has medicare. A supplement. So does mom. We use GoodRX for prescriptions. Lots of time they're cheaper than what medicare covers.
Just don't be fooled by the tv ads. They want you to give up normal coverage in exchange for meals, rides to the docs, money back. If you sign up for those, chances are you'd go bankrupt if hospitalized.
My mom is nearly 89. She has medicare and a supplement through Cigna which covers everything medicare does not. So if she is hospitalized, Cigna kicks in. She pays about $300 a month for the Cigna. She also has AARP for prescription meds. They cover a decent amount and she pays about $40 a month for that. None of this includes dental or eye stuff, so she pays cash for that.
I'm not old enough for medicare, and I have a Christian medical sharing plan. Doesn't cover much except if I'm hospitalized. Everything else I pay in cash, and ask for a cash non insured discount. So the past three months when I got sick I paid $250 for urgent care, $300 for ER, and $150 for doc recheck. Haven't gotten billed yet for the xrays. Also paid $40 in prescriptions using Good RX. I wasn't hospitalized, and Obamacare insurance would cost me $1000 a month. Instead I pay $340 a month for the Christian med share plan which covers me and the three grandkids we raise, in case we have broken bones or a hospital stay.
Medical in the US is ridiculous. At least the docs we see in the bigger town near us are good docs and they take medicare.

Medicare and the supplement plans you need with it are a scam. And they want medicare for ALL.
@PatsyJo I hope you find a plan that serves your needs.

My copay on 3 month subscriptions with the Medicare supplemental is significantly less than my copay was for one month prescriptions when I was on a "Gold Plan."

@PatsyJo I believe my parents have the AARP supplemental, and that has worked well for them. The only issue is prescription drug coverage (but I think that's pretty standard across all)- it is ridiculously expensive. You can always see if the doctors have samples to give out of the ones you need, but I think with the new regulations, the drug companies aren't allowed to give out samples anymore.

AARP does have the prescription plan only, too, and it's ok priced. But we still use GoodRX and that is free, unless you want the premium. Then it's a couple of bucks a month. We have that.
I do believe in getting a medicare supplement. They vary from state to state and the plan depends upon what medication that you take every day. For instance, if you are on blood thinners, the supplement will cost more.
I take care of mom's medical needs. I like that her hospital stays will be covered 100% because she is pretty darn old, and that's what would likely happen with her. You can trade some of that coverage for other goodies like dental, rides, food, but that didn't make sense at all for her.

Perhaps this post does not qualify as Pepper Talk, but I am in such a pickle I am to the point of being a really dill pill. I am going to change my supplemental Medicare insurance this year. The insurance I have had for years has been excellent, but I cannot afford it anymore. So now I am what to do who do I choose. I have spoke with my agent and was not the happiest of my choices. I made the mistake of filling out a Medicare Enrollment inquiry. Well my phone has not stopped ringing. Besides all of that I cannot understand Medicare and all the rest of the hullabaloo dealing with Medicare Insurance and Medicare Supplement. Now when it comes to Medicare Rx I never have heard so much double talk in all my life regarding a bottle of pills. The cost of prescriptions and having to dicker with the cost of the medicine listening to a pharmacy clerk who knows nothing about the drug you have been prescribed to take by your physician you start thinking, there is something wrong very wrong with all this medical stuff.šŸ˜°
I went with WELLCARE,,,,, you should check them out, they are the best all around for me,,,,,

as for those calls I am tired of them also, I turned 65 in July and the calls still keep coming

I went with WELLCARE,,,,, you should check them out, they are the best all around for me,,,,,

as for those calls I am tired of them also, I turned 65 in July and the calls still keep coming
. I mess with the calls. After they go through the spiel, I ask them why did the call me, I am only 26.

I listed my mom's medicare info with my cell phone number. They are tricky scammers....say they are calling about "my insurance supplement". Ha. They can't name it because they are someone different. With her dementia, she'd be believing all of them.

Latest posts

Back