MEAT SHORTAGES ARE COMING

Doomsday Prepper Forums - The Number One Prepper Site

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Danil54grl

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I am think about getting another freezer
Just keep in mind that you need to repackage your items into vacuum sealed packages or you will run into items getting freezer burnt. . . Then it is just a waste of money. But I guess your puppy dogs would love you. ;)

Last edited:

Danil54grl

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Doing the overnight shift last might I saw very little meat on the shelf. But I did have to go back in later today to do some shopping. It has been the second day I have been out since this started. There was plenty of meat to chose from when I went back in a little after 12. I can only assume that the meat department is still getting wiped out daily like sp many others from when this pandemic started. I was in need of a Mothers Day Card and a Birthday card, my baby is turning 28. He was born Mother's Day so this is kinda of a special day since its only been 3 times since he was born that it fell on this day. I ended up buying some shrimp, crab meat, crawfish and cream cheese for a special weekend menu.

Danil54grl

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I purchased( 2 )300 lb butcher pigs for $90 each on Tuesday.. farmer has over 400 pigs he can't sell so he put them on craigslist hoping to break even. I see at the supermarket they are still limiting meat purchases.
That is a great price you bought at so be proud. Are you able to process yourself?

Arcticdude

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I just sold another heifer today. Prices are down to $.94 per pound around here. A couple weeks ago I was getting $1.24 per pound. I was planing on selling another dozen or so, but not at this price. I'll feed them through the winter and hope the prices go up by next spring, provided I can find enough hay.
Today's a big day; castrating, tagging and vaccinations. My son, SIL and hired hand are working the cattle, while all I can do is sit in a chair and watch.

Danil54grl

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I just sold another heifer today. Prices are down to $.94 per pound around here. A couple weeks ago I was getting $1.24 per pound. I was planing on selling another dozen or so, but not at this price. I'll feed them through the winter and hope the prices go up by next spring, provided I can find enough hay.
Today's a big day; castrating, tagging and vaccinations. My son, SIL and hired hand are working the cattle, while all I can do is sit in a chair and watch.
Did your family hog tie or just threaten? ;) I know it is hard on you to just sit around and watch. . . You are too used to being in the middle of everything going on at your place. I am glad that you are still taking it easy and letting your body heal and rest.

Arcticdude

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Did your family hog tie or just threaten? ;) I know it is hard on you to just sit around and watch. . . You are too used to being in the middle of everything going on at your place. I am glad that you are still taking it easy and letting your body heal and rest.
Yeah it was hard to stay out of the corral and not help. Everyone kept yelling at me to stay sitting down.

Brent S

Top Poster
Reaction score
I’m Glad your taking it easy too. Every time I have tried to rush an injury it just took longer than it would have if I had listened to my body. I don’t blame you for not selling any cattle now. At that price your probably lucky to break even with costs.

GaRp58

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone kept yelling at me to stay sitting down
Just listen to them and get back to work sooner, the OP is like a marathon. It will take time to recover, my back op is a year back and I still have real pains and ghost pains. But you are right Arctic, everybody keeps yelling to sit down and relax. Makes me feel like a little kid again...GP

GaRp58

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, I'll get my first SS check on Sep. 1...now that I will be officially retired, I'll just be doing the wrong thing and be getting back to work harder than ever before to get my BOL in Hungary up to standards, for living in poverty...wish me luck, gonna need it...GP

Arcticdude

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I’m Glad your taking it easy too. Every time I have tried to rush an injury it just took longer than it would have if I had listened to my body. I don’t blame you for not selling any cattle now. At that price your probably lucky to break even with costs.
Its been hard. I really wanted to get in there and show the smart ass punks (40+ year old) just how to rope a calf. They wouldn't even let me in to cut the bulls.
The wife has a chair set up in a clearing where she puts me during the day after it warms up.

Brent S

Top Poster
Reaction score
I have a feeling in stock is not going to be the problem but rather the price at the register.
I am greatful that I can afford food as many are really struggling right now. I have noticed a huge increase in the grocery bill though. Yet after seeing all the shortages we have had in recent months I’m just happy to be able to get things.

Joe SA

God Like
Reaction score
Love the place we living now we source our meat direct from local farmers mutton, lamb, chicken and pork all way under prices you'd pay at the local butcher, and the farmers are happy as well well cause they 50% over what they would get, sending to the local aboutour. The freshness of the meat is amazing.

Latest posts