Meat Rabbits

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AimoL

Reaction score
Ok I was raised a city girl and moved to the country about 12 years ago. We have been pretty lucky to be able to supply plenty of meat for our family thru deer,hog,fish and lastly the grocery store when needed. The boys have taken up squirrel hunting so that will be on the table soon. Well today I bought a few meat rabbits just to have another source of food. Now I just need some good recipes. Anyone have any they care to share?

Ok I was raised a city girl and moved to the country about 12 years ago. We have been pretty lucky to be able to supply plenty of meat for our family thru deer,hog,fish and lastly the grocery store when needed. The boys have taken up squirrel hunting so that will be on the table soon. Well today I bought a few meat rabbits just to have another source of food. Now I just need some good recipes. Anyone have any they care to share?
I envy you, as I have been in the city my entire life, and regretfully I know nothing of raising, and preparing an animal for food.
This is an area I need to study up on.

• 1 rabbit, about 3 pounds, cut up
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • dash pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 4 cups water
  • 4 cups dry red wine
  • 2 cups diced carrots
  • 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 4 ounces sliced mushrooms, sauteed
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup water
Preparation:

Directions for rabbit stew.
Dredge rabbit pieces with 1/2 cup flour. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; brown rabbit pieces on all sides. Add celery, onion, salt, pepper, bay leaf, 4 cups water, and wine; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer rabbit stew for 2 hours. Add carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms; cook for about 25 to 30 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender. Combine 1/4 cup flour and 1/3 cup water; stir until well blended and smooth. Stir flour mixture into the broth; cook and stir until thickened.
Rabbit stew recipe serves

Thank you. I will try that one soon. We have tons of "swamp" rabbits around here may hunt a few just to try out some recipes.

Young enough, just fry them up like chicken. I use rabbit in place of chicken in a lot of recipes, I just add a touch more fat to whatever it is since rabbit is so lean.

Clydesdale, can't you raise a few rabbits and call them pets? They are easy enough to butcher inside so the neighbors don't see.

We started Rabbits this past summer - have had several litters. Just killed our first rabbit a few weeks ago and it went well. Just bought two new females this week and have breed both of them. Currently have 4 expecting. We have both Californians and New Zealand's. We are planning a killing/canning day in about 6 weeks. We should have about 30-40 to do in one day.

Are you going to split the butchering and canning up over a couple of days? What sized canner are you using?

I think you can cook rabbits in a lot of ways. Chicken recipes work well, IME as do stews. Rabbits are more meaty than squirrels so they have a better diversity in recipes. I like to "Spit cook" bushy tails or cut 'em into pieces and quick fry 'em so they don't get too tough. THey're also okay in astew or chili too though.

I can't wait til we get a few more rabbits. I want to start trying new recipes.

I've been downloading all sorts of books on my phone to learn everything I can. It's amazing what information out there is free.

I guess we'll go vegetarian if the SHTF in the future as we are unable to kill anything. :(

I think our Buck is buttering me up so he will get to live. He is very friendly and loves to be petted. Guess when he is "done" he will become a family pet

Latest posts

Back