WTF!?!? Massive blast in Superior Wisconsin

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gas has already gone up more then 10 cents a gallon in most places here.

P.s. thats up from last week.

That figures... well, i guess petrolium is petrolium whether it goes into tar or gas... still think its gonna stay higher even after they recoup their losses tho. Scam artists...

Gas has gone up over .50 cents in the last 3 weeks. It's over $3.10 a gallon now. No reason for it. What's even worse is the Feds want to raise the gas tax another .25 - .50 a gallon. Unbelievable.

its over $8.50 in the UK
Yes, but it takes me 12 hours to drive from Georgia to my daughter's house in Virginia. You can go from Liverpool on the West coast of England to Scarborough on the East coast in less than three hours. Even driving from one extreme end of England to another (Penzance to Marshall Meadows) is three hours faster than going to visit my daughter.

What a mess, it will take them months to just figure how what happened and months to clean up.

Yes, but it takes me 12 hours to drive from Georgia to my daughter's house in Virginia. You can go from Liverpool on the West coast of England to Scarborough on the East coast in less than three hours. Even driving from one extreme end of England to another (Penzance to Marshall Meadows) is three hours faster than going to visit my daughter.

5 hours is nearer the mark Liverpool to Scarborough but its still motoring costs regardless.

Ok you win, we have no reason to gripe! Ouch!
I have a reason to gripe. I've been involved in the oil and gas industry for many years and know what it takes to produce a barrel of oil and refine a gallon of gas or diesel. For example, we had a cracking plant in one of the fields I worked at and it cost .12 cents to make a gallon of diesel. Now figure in government taxes, excessive government regulations, environmental costs, etc, etc and the retail cost at the pump is sky high.
I'm not really concerned about the cost of fuel in other countries, much of which is taxes.

It always ticks me off when I hear that gas taxes are going up. So you raise the gas tax , and it costs more for contractors to build roads, and in order to offset the increased cost of building/maintaining roads you have to raise the gas tax...

It's always made me kinda pissy that diesel was higher priced than Premium at times, and it's only basically one grade above kerosene it seems. I guess it's cause they refine less of it on a regular basis than the other vehicle fuels?

It's always made me kinda pissy that diesel was higher priced than Premium at times, and it's only basically one grade above kerosene it seems. I guess it's cause they refine less of it on a regular basis than the other vehicle fuels?

Cor I actually thought the US would use more diesel than petrol because the hundreds of thousands of diesel RR locos and the millions of trucks on US roads, you learn something newevery day on DPF. I still say Diesel should be the main fuel of choice for preppers.

THE CASE FOR DIESEL

Yes I know there are far more people driving Cars, Vans, SUVs’s , Pickups, 4X4’s etc with petrol (gasoline) powered engines than there are driving similar vehicles running Diesel engines in the UK, But hang on a moment is that a good thing for us claiming to be switched on survivalists?

Some points I think need chewing over by the preparedness communities especially those with retreats, homesteads, secure homes and bug out plans.

If (or more likely when) TSHTF and fuel availability & storage becomes a major issue what will society in general start doing?

Let’s accept that most of us already keep our vehicles topped off most of the time and also keep a few gallons of fuel stored for “The Day” but nearly all of us must admit that overall we have not got enough fuel cached to get by with.

Question? What is the general public going to do as soon as finding fuel supplies become difficult?

Answer, yes they are going to form huge queues at almost every petrol (gas) station they can, the rest of this tale you already know, huge queues, long waits, rationing, violence, riots, people getting killed for a gallon of fuel. The public will go berserk in next to no time at all.

(This scenario came 100% spot on accurate during the 2005 hurricane season in the US)

So what are the big boys and the prepared people doing?

What do the Railways (Railroads), Truckers, Maritime trade, leisure boats use as fuel? What do farmers choose as fuel for their tractors, ploughs, etc? What do the military choose to power their vehicles?

Diesel, Yes Diesel, This fuel is found almost everywhere a survivalist would choose to look. It’s safer to handle and store than petrol, it’s got a better shelf life untreated than petrol and it’s used to power most of our commerce.

Next time you are out and about take a look around and try to identify places you could ‘Source’ petrol (gas) and diesel. Petrol in general is only available at fuel stations and in other petrol powered vehicles (cars, lawn mowers and jet skis?).It’s only found in fairly small quantities as well. If you are lucky you will be able to fill your vehicle and a few jerry cans from a retail source before government restrictions or shortages become an issue.

But look at places you can find diesel in an emergency and in what quantities? Trucks alone have tanks that carry many hundreds of gallons of diesel, truck stops hold huge amounts in comparison to petrol stations. Look at your local railroad locomotive, even the smallest carry 1500 gallons of diesel whilst the mainline locos can carry as much as 6000 gallons.

Also in recent years modern diesel engines have advanced technologically, to a point that the power issues that traditionally separated diesel vehicles from petrol (gas) powered vehicles has been eroded. So that unless you are into sports cars a turbo diesel can and will match your gasoline powered car in everything except the 0-60 MPH stakes, plus modern diesels are still more economical than petrol engines.

Then of course when it comes to the reliability and vulnerability aspects of comparing the two types of engine diesel wins hands down.

I am also advised that certain types of heating oil can be used to run a diesel engine. Certainly after the lessons learned from Hurricane Katrina you need to carry enough fuel to travel 3x the distance to your retreat, this allows for diversions and long periods of very slow driving in heavy traffic.

So in closing if you have a rural retreat or bug out plans and you believe that sourcing fuel is going to be a major issue common sense directs you to choose the good old compression ignition engine.

Last edited:
I have a reason to gripe. I've been involved in the oil and gas industry for many years and know what it takes to produce a barrel of oil and refine a gallon of gas or diesel. For example, we had a cracking plant in one of the fields I worked at and it cost .12 cents to make a gallon of diesel. Now figure in government taxes, excessive government regulations, environmental costs, etc, etc and the retail cost at the pump is sky high.
I'm not really concerned about the cost of fuel in other countries, much of which is taxes.
I’ve read that the cost of making gas is pretty much the same everywhere. Like you said state, federal and local taxes is why you see different pricing all over the place. Too many groups with their hand in the pie.

In the Uk up until the 1990s diesel was way cheaper than petrol, then the labour government told everyone to buy diesels as they did not produce as much C02 as petrol engine, so millions switched to diesel. Suddenly diesel became 20% more expensive than petrol through greed of oil companies and extra tax.

Everyone likes to bash the oil companies. Why? The oil companies just produce a product that everyone on the planet depends on for modern life. And they sell that product on the open market. The oil companies have zero control over the price of fuel at the pump. Every oil company (except for foreign cartels) would love to produce more oil, which would help lower the cost of fuel at the pump for the end user. But thanks to high government taxes, over regulation and insane environmental compliance, we'll never see "low" fuel prices again. Even in the unlikely event that prices at the pump did drop considerably, governments would just add more tax in order to keep the price artificially high. Remember, the tax added at the pump is just a small part all the taxes that go in to making that gallon of fuel. Also, thanks to electric, and other high mpg cars, the government claims that it's "losing" tax revenue and needs to raise fuel taxes. There is no winning for the consumer.

If you have a farm, you can get a big diesel tank and have it filled with agricultural diesel, or "red diesel" as it's called because of the red dye, which is not subject to highway use taxes. Red diesel is cheaper than gasoline. Tanks run about $1 per gallon capacity new. So a 1000 gallon tank will run you about $1000. Not a bad investment...

The penalty for using red diesel in your highway vehicle is $1000, or $10 per gallon, whichever is greater (in other words minimum fine $1000). It is administered by the IRS and is nationwide.

But... Post SHTF, if there is no IRS, then...;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back