Manual Well Pump

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VeraAnn

Reaction score
We have a well in the back yard with a 2" pipe. I am looking for something so if we lose electric, we can put a hose down the pipe and siphen the water out manually. Does anyone have a suggestion on which one might be good yet preferably somewhat inexpensive?
Thanks in advance.

:) Yes, I found them and was looking at some late last night but was more curious if someone out there used one or had a preference of the best one. :) I'll take a gander of the vid you sent me though. Thanks!

We have a well in the back yard with a 2" pipe. I am looking for something so if we lose electric, we can put a hose down the pipe and siphen the water out manually. Does anyone have a suggestion on which one might be good yet preferably somewhat inexpensive?
Thanks in advance.
the biggest questions here are , what is the depth of the water, is the water palitable, if there is a checkvalve on the end of the pipe.

If it is a usable 2"pipe down the well, then all you have to do is attach to it for your water, what kind of pump you will need is dependent on the depth of the water from the surface. if there is a check valve on the end of the 2" pipe and you drop down a smaller pipe, all the water you could get out would be what is in the 2" pipe unless the head of water is enough to pop the checkvalve by itself, if not you must have enough suction on the whole pipe to create suction in the whole pipe to get the check to open allowing the pipe to fill.

if there is no check valve on it, or if the water is deep enough to self pop the check if the pipe is vacant of water then this could be done with a small plastic tube from lowes, and a small battery drill opperated pump that could be recharged with solar.
If you had big enough pannels, and batteries, you could run the pump off of solar in emergency, but the cost is +++++++++++ for the amps that some deepwell pumps pull. some run on 220,

So to help you out I would need more info:
is water drinkable?
depth to water level?
are you using the well now for your home?
is there a pump on it currently?

I just made a manual pump for my well yesterday. I spent under 50 bucks. When i say simple it was so simple...I am not at all survivalist/crafty or mechanical. Really! We have a well and I thought it would be important in case of emergency. I basically purchased a foot valve(5-25 bucks, I got a ten dollar pvc foot valve) I paid 27 cents for each connector(one for every ten feet of pvc) I bought ten foot schedule 40 3/4 inch pvc pipes(2.16 each) and an elbow connector for the top(1.40) then I spent about (8.00 on pvc tape and glue-I had the home depot guy point me in the direction).
I attached foo tvalve to one end....add necessary length of pvc and tpped with elbow(where water comes out) and IT WORKS!!!!!
I was so frustrated with all the blu prints etc online because they had all these extra nuts, bolts bearings etc...it just had me on tilt so i took a chance (Keep it simple stupid) and IT WORKED!!! I am learning little skills in my effort to become prepared but i thought this was to important to wait on

I just made a manual pump for my well yesterday. I spent under 50 bucks. When i say simple it was so simple...I am not at all survivalist/crafty or mechanical. Really! We have a well and I thought it would be important in case of emergency. I basically purchased a foot valve(5-25 bucks, I got a ten dollar pvc foot valve) I paid 27 cents for each connector(one for every ten feet of pvc) I bought ten foot schedule 40 3/4 inch pvc pipes(2.16 each) and an elbow connector for the top(1.40) then I spent about (8.00 on pvc tape and glue-I had the home depot guy point me in the direction).
I attached foo tvalve to one end....add necessary length of pvc and tpped with elbow(where water comes out) and IT WORKS!!!!!
I was so frustrated with all the blu prints etc online because they had all these extra nuts, bolts bearings etc...it just had me on tilt so i took a chance (Keep it simple stupid) and IT WORKED!!! I am learning little skills in my effort to become prepared but i thought this was to important to wait on
LMAO, what do you use to suck the water up?

I just "pump" (move it up and down) and it forces the water out. Its the same exact concept and design as the flojak(which I think is $399 plus cost of pvc) looks a little rougher around the edges ;) but definitely does the same job!!
My husband thought"LMAO" too...until it worked hehe

I just "pump" (move it up and down) and it forces the water out. Its the same exact concept and design as the flojak(which I think is $399 plus cost of pvc) looks a little rougher around the edges ;) but definitely does the same job!!
Well congrats on that one, give us a review after 100 gallons of water from it.
I was never able to find a check valve weak enough to open with 100 foot head of water on it.
is the checkvalve last, or is there a section of pipe below it to force water through it?

3/4 pvc pipe 1 gallon every 37 feet.
makes it all what about 24 lbs, with a 2 foot stroke, asuming 100% refill rate is 18 pumps a gallon.
workable #s
I bet you could use a series of bunjy cords to pull it up and suspend it, then you would only have to do the push down part. it would spring up by itself.
lifting 24 lbs over and over would get old. fast

footvalve is last....and yes it would be very difficult to use on any type of regular basis. In fact I was a bit on the lazy side even making my husband do the initial work of getting water from it(lol). Bungee cords is actually a great idea!! Im all about doing this cheap, fast and easy (for now).I am def gonna have to tweak it and come up with something more long term but being that I am such an immediate person I wanted to have something yesterday :). I would like to install an actual manual pump (not homemade) but money just will not allow for that right now. Thanks for the input.My next project is a electricity free refrigerator made with terra cotta pots and sand (found plans online). Part two of building my skills...and believe me when I say I need to build my skills. :)

I just saw a utube video for flojak, with a pump handle on it,
I blew it off as a waste of time years ago,
all I needed was cheap parts, not heavy brass ones lol
but its not a myth
good one to share
thanks

Thank you to you both for you feedback! Especially Cha! You've been very helpful. Will talk to my husband about it and try to get it done asap! MOST APPRECIATED!
Let me know how that refrigerator comes along too! Would LOVE to hear about that, see a pic when done. :)

You go girl friend. Thanks for the idea and I'm going to do the same on my well.:D

Latest posts

Back