Made apple crumble pie

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preppergirl85

Reaction score
I just made a cherry pie crumble SHTF style... As in not needing to chill dough. No mixer. So as if I didn't have electricity or water or inside stove... And most basic ingredients. No butter all purpose flour salt and water and tiny bit of sugar !

I have two cherry trees that produce well. Still have never beat the birds to them though. Just before they are ripe enough the birds decimate them in one day.
getting practiced with preps is always a smart thing to do. I imagine if shtf hits we would all be happy to eat whatever was available but with some forethought and practice you will be able to make more appealing dishes. My baking skills are limited. I am more inclined to use the premise pie dough from the grocery and throw some canned fruit filling into it. I can make good main courses with most any animal and some vegetables but my dessert skills honestly suck. Likely kept me from getting to large over the years at least!

So yes alot of sugar I guess to make the cherry filling. But if you have the cherry trees already producing fruit then I hope you've already been canning them dehydrating them. Freezing them... ECT. And you can make the pie filling then pressure can or water bath can the jars depending on what fruit. So when your ready to bake a pie you just pop a jar open pour in crust and bake.. so easy

I was really busy with work this year so didn’t tend to the gardens and trees as much as normal. I usually have loads of things canned by this time. It was just a lot easier to stock up on canned stuff from the grocery this season. But since I decided to cash out and retire early I plan to do a lot more around here. I have always said that it’s cheaper to buy food than to grow or raise your own, (at least it is now), but there is nothing that compares to the taste and satisfaction that you get from fresh things you did yourself. When you throw in the self reliance factor it is a great feeling

It's a give and take when you're working, or your first year of retirement. The mosting pressing things come first. Buying is easy, so do it, but at least knowing the process of doing it yourself is priceless when there isn't any to buy.

I was really busy with work this year so didn’t tend to the gardens and trees as much as normal. I usually have loads of things canned by this time. It was just a lot easier to stock up on canned stuff from the grocery this season. But since I decided to cash out and retire early I plan to do a lot more around here. I have always said that it’s cheaper to buy food than to grow or raise your own, (at least it is now), but there is nothing that compares to the taste and satisfaction that you get from fresh things you did yourself. When you throw in the self reliance factor it is a great feeling
I grudgingly have to agree with you about the cost of buying vs growing your own food. At least in our case. I have to pump water 1/4 mile up to the garden using a 12kw gas generator. It wasn't so bad when gas was lower, but now that its over $4.00 a gallon we're letting a lot of the garden go.

It's a give and take when you're working, or your first year of retirement. The mosting pressing things come first. Buying is easy, so do it, but at least knowing the process of doing it yourself is priceless when there isn't any to buy.
No doubt the skills with gardening and raising animals will be invaluable if what we have all been predicting for years comes about.

I have two cherry trees that produce well. Still have never beat the birds to them though. Just before they are ripe enough the birds decimate them in one day.
getting practiced with preps is always a smart thing to do. I imagine if shtf hits we would all be happy to eat whatever was available but with some forethought and practice you will be able to make more appealing dishes. My baking skills are limited. I am more inclined to use the premise pie dough from the grocery and throw some canned fruit filling into it. I can make good main courses with most any animal and some vegetables but my dessert skills honestly suck. Likely kept me from getting to large over the years at least!
If you go but a couple mylar balloons and tie them to the trees the birds will leave them alone I have to do that every year for my blueberry marion berry bushes

That sounds good. I love cherry pie. I have 2 pie cherry trees in the orchard. We also have a lot of choke cherrys trees around here. I've heard of people using the choke cherries but it takes a lot of sugar.
Also there is a low sugar recipe you can use it's more like a preserve fruit pie filling but it works

If you go but a couple mylar balloons and tie them to the trees the birds will leave them alone I have to do that every year for my blueberry marion berry bushes
May have to try this out for my dewberries. The birds always grab them up as soon as they turn. I have only gotten to eat a few handfuls over the years

May have to try this out for my dewberries. The birds always grab them up as soon as they turn. I have only gotten to eat a few handfuls over the years
I’ve seen lots of silver strips tied to branches around here. Some kind of plastic shiny strips. They blow in the wind but I cant say if they actually work or not. Likely worth a try.

Latest posts

Back