Machetes

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinner is more true to a traditional Latin machete. They like em that thin over there. I got shit from the locals in Brazil for my thicker jungle machete. They said it’s too much to swing all day. I didn’t have a problem with it but, to each their own. If you look at the jungle machete it’s thicker at .28

Meh didn’t like almost any of those machete recommendations.. And I believe that article was bought and payed for. Lol. I don’t disagree with the basics said in the article, the machete recommendations are clearly made by sponsors. Also a saw backed anything means potential easy broken blade and forget about using it in self defense. Also the article says to avoid stainless steel blades but then it’s first recommendations is a stainless steel blade and regardless of his attempts at making this ok anyone that thinks stainless is equal too or just as capable as carbon steels is just well, ignorant. Also all of those are a little expensive for what your getting. Just my 2 cents. Hope this doesn’t insult anyone. Lol

Not liking that website in general. Recommending a hand held taser for self defense is pointless. Not useful at all. I’ve used them in real situations with little to no effect besides getting people pissed and hitting me harder. Also reinforced or brass knuckles aren’t too great for self defense. They are great for beating someone who can’t defend themselves but for real self defense I wouldn’t recommend them.

The main concept of self defense is to NOT allow the opponent to get that close. I agree with Roninsensei. No taser, no brass knuckles. Where I differ from many (maybe most) I don't believe in less than lethal for self defense. If they survive, great but I want that to be their good fortune and not my lack of defensive capability.

Unfortunately in my line of work killing them isn’t much of an option unless it’s merc work. With body-guarding you have to find less than lethal options. You can’t just kill them, not if you wanna keep working. Our job is to keep the client safe while reducing their liability for having you. That means most of the time it’s hands on and OC. I only go to knife or gun if lethal is all that’s left. Some guys draw for intimidation. That’s a one way ticket too jail for brandishing. Even if you can prove a dire need they still will arrest you and keep you for the weekend. It’s simply not worth pulling the firearm. And most of the time it’s not needed unless in a foreign country, then all bets are off, kidnapping for cash is a real deal threat outside of the USA. I use OC all over Europe with great success. I also carry a bear mace canister in my pack. I’ve used that on people many of time. It works well. When they ask why you carry it, for dogs and bears is my answer. Works every time.

Lol noooooo. Dr common, I’m not THAT obvious! Do you really think that list is of good quality well known machetes? There was like 1 maybe 2 on the list. The condor and the CRKT are the only ones that are worth anything and I’ve heard about breaking issues with the CRKT. No Tramontina, no Ontario, and yes :rolleyes: no cold steel. I know I’m prejudiced a little but I do know quality and what works. None of those would have made my top 20 and some wouldn’t make the list at all, that Fiskars was ridiculous. Lol

Agreed on the Fiskars, but I don't really know enough about the others to have an opinion. The only machete I've owned for a number of years is the Cold Steel Latin. The only thing I can remember about machetes I've owned in the distant past was that they rubbed the skin off of my pinkie.

Regarding stainless steel machetes, there are some new steels, and some steels newly available in larger and thicker sizes than in the past that are tough as any carbon steel and almost as easy to sharpen. And this whole new category of competition choppers has redefined the meaning of hard use blades.

I’ll agree that some of the new stainless steels are getting pretty good even amazing. However no ones really using those. 3CR13 is not one of those. It’s the same as 420 stainless. Also as we’ve covered I’m not a fan of the coldsteel Latin machete or any Latin machete that is. Lol

Last edited:
There are some people making their own machetes out of AEB-L. Why the big companies don't use it, I have no idea. It is fine blankable, meaning you can stamp out the blade blanks without any cracking, and it is inexpensive and readily available from multiple suppliers.

Take a look at these toughness vs. hardness charts. First one compares AEB-L with other stainless steels, and it stands head and shoulders above all of them in toughness. Second one compares AEB-L with some carbon steels.
I am making some knives out of AEB-L right now, and having them hardened to 62-63 Rc
AEB-L-vs-stainless-toughness.jpg

AEB-L-vs-non-stainless-toughness.jpg

Last edited:
I don't really know that much about machetes (I was just asking people here about them myself a couple weeks ago) but I ended up buying the Cold Steel Wakizashi machete after some recommendations. It might not be the best for what you want because I wanted it for my own purposes. It is a bit heavier than the machetes I grew up using, but it's sharp and sturdy. My siblings and I spent a while hacking things up at my parents' farm. And my 17 year old brother proved that it's possible to throw it and catch it without cutting yourself (though this was something I recommend to neither him nor anyone else). But while I was looking at the Cold Steel website (thanks @Roninsensei for pointing me in this direction whenever you talk about knives, and yes you are that obvious) I saw quite a few different machetes there you might want to check out.
What I don't recommend is following the advice of paid reviewers because they're just going to recommend whoever gives them the most money.

Latest posts

Back