M.R.E's

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just purchased 4 crates of M.R.E's (each containing 160 individual M.R.E meals. Gen 7 type. Added this to the Wise company food stored in caches.
What kind of shelf life do the gen 7 ones have? I have some that are about four years old now that I believe only had a two year span to begin with. Throw in the fact that I stored them in the trunk of a car in Ga. during a summer and winter and I’d be willing to bet it’s time to chunk those..... luckily I only bought a few. I love the lightweight aspect and quick prep of them. They really are great as an emergency pail in a vehicle or get home bag.

You'ld probably be surprise at how long MREs are good for. Someone had posted a video of opening some from WWII that I watched recently. Not all looked appetizing, but some were still edible if you had to I guess. I'll stick with homemade dehydrated meals myself.

I've purchased MRE's before but i'm not very impressed. I buy dehydrated food packs available in most camping shops and on ebay.

Try one of the new Generation 7 M.R.E's. I have been using and eating them for years, and stock piling them. Sorry you have had such bad experiences with them. I also have dehydrated wears in my bunker. When hiking, or camping i use the M.R.E's

You'ld probably be surprise at how long MREs are good for. Someone had posted a video of opening some from WWII that I watched recently. Not all looked appetizing, but some were still edible if you had to I guess. I'll stick with homemade dehydrated meals myself.
I’ve hear of c rations from ww2 and Vietnam still being eaten, but thought mre’s were much newer. I believe the ones I have only said they were good for three years or so.

Last edited:
I've got a couple cases of MRE's put away, but I like the Mountain House and other freeze dried foods better. Eventually I'd like to freeze dry my own foods.
I’ve started storing some #10cans of Mountain house freeze dried stuff as well. Really I’m just trying to have a good and varied mix of foods on hand. I rotate most other things, but with a thirty five year shelf life I figure the freeze dried stuff will outlast me so I’m ok with them just being for emergencies.

I’ve hear of c rations from ww2 and Vietnam still being eaten, but thought mre’s were much newer. I believe the ones I have only said they were good for three years or so.

Yep. I ate 1940s c rations 30 years after they were made. Still have a couple P38 can openers that were military issue. C rations were in cans.

MREs have a very short shelf life in comparison.

What kind of shelf life do the gen 7 ones have? I have some that are about four years old now that I believe only had a two year span to begin with. Throw in the fact that I stored them in the trunk of a car in Ga. during a summer and winter and I’d be willing to bet it’s time to chunk those..... luckily I only bought a few. I love the lightweight aspect and quick prep of them. They really are great as an emergency pail in a vehicle or get home bag.
Do an experiment on one to see how it is. If peanut butter or cheese sauce is an ingredient than probably not, but there has been many who have tried with descent results. If it was me, I'd at least see instead of chunking money down the drain. Hunny found a bunch of mres thrown in a dumpster after one of the hurricanes. We were still leaving at an apartment so almost 20 years ago now. We still have the majority of the in storage.

Do an experiment on one to see how it is. If peanut butter or cheese sauce is an ingredient than probably not, but there has been many who have tried with descent results. If it was me, I'd at least see instead of chunking money down the drain. Hunny found a bunch of mres thrown in a dumpster after one of the hurricanes. We were still leaving at an apartment so almost 20 years ago now. We still have the majority of the in storage.
I will try some soon. I doubt they would make me sick or anything, just probably taste less than before and loose nutrition. I do know that stored in a car in the south is similar to an oven. I’ll let you know, and if I stop posting then you know to chunk yours :confused:!

Yep. I ate 1940s c rations 30 years after they were made. Still have a couple P38 can openers that were military issue. C rations were in cans.

MREs have a very short shelf life in comparison.
M.R.E's have a shelf life of 10- 20 years depending upon where they are stored, if no damage to the outer bag. I have M.R.E's from 1988 that i demonstrated in September of 2017. It like anything is a personal preference. I also stock Wise Co food containers that contain breakfast, dinner, and desert's. But am a loyal M.R.E person

Are there MREs that are gluten and dairy free...because I have food allergies?

I tend to stockpile canned food, but if I could find gluten free/dairy free MREs, I would use them too.

Are there MREs that are gluten and dairy free...because I have food allergies?

I tend to stockpile canned food, but if I could find gluten free/dairy free MREs, I would use them too.
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai...ahUKEwi16uXsqrfaAhWvSt8KHYRsDT0Qwg8IKw&adurl=
I don’t know if you can get that link to open or not, but I just googled gluten free mre and tons of storage food came up, and a few mre packets specifically. I’m thankful to still be able to eat just about anything with no ill side effects. Being diabetic would really suck, but even people that produce too much acid is rough too. I would imagine that as soon as people got off all the fast food and chemical laden crap we all call food now days most issues would resolve themselves after shtf.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai...ahUKEwi16uXsqrfaAhWvSt8KHYRsDT0Qwg8IKw&adurl=
I don’t know if you can get that link to open or not, but I just googled gluten free mre and tons of storage food came up, and a few mre packets specifically. I’m thankful to still be able to eat just about anything with no ill side effects. Being diabetic would really suck, but even people that produce too much acid is rough too. I would imagine that as soon as people got off all the fast food and chemical laden crap we all call food now days most issues would resolve themselves after shtf.
I'm not sure whether I agree with this point or not.

Food post SHTF would, probably, have less chemicals, and things like junk food and candy will be in short supply...which will be good for digestive issues. Also, I imagine that there will be a lot less obesity post SHTF, which will be a good thing.

But...

I also believe that there will be an upswing in digestive diseases like amoebic dysentary, ulcers (because of H. pylori), hookworm, and so on.

I also believe that people way eat lower-quality food as they develop dental problems from lack of dentistry.

High-fiber foods and fresh vegetables may be more difficult to eat, so maybe an increase in spastic colon issues and heart disease?

I'm not sure whether I agree with this point or not.

Food post SHTF would, probably, have less chemicals, and things like junk food and candy will be in short supply...which will be good for digestive issues. Also, I imagine that there will be a lot less obesity post SHTF, which will be a good thing.

But...

I also believe that there will be an upswing in digestive diseases like amoebic dysentary, ulcers (because of H. pylori), hookworm, and so on.

I also believe that people way eat lower-quality food as they develop dental problems from lack of dentistry.

High-fiber foods and fresh vegetables may be more difficult to eat, so maybe an increase in spastic colon issues and heart disease?
I thought about the lack of nutrition some, but figured the lack of junk food would offset that some. Parasites are another issue altogether, as well as increased cases of food poisoning.

Latest posts

Back