Louisiana blue crab stuffed flounder

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Prepper

A True Doomsday Prepper
Administrator
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
This is my favorite stuffed flounder recipe.

Louisiana Blue Crab Stuffed Flounder
Serves 6

Ingredients
  1. ½ cup unsalted butter
  2. 1 cup diced yellow onion
  3. 1 cup diced celery
  4. 1 cup diced green bell pepper
  5. ½ cup diced red bell pepper
  6. 3 cloves garlic, minced
  7. 1 cup sliced green onion
  8. 1¾ teaspoons salt, divided
  9. ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
  10. ¾ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  11. ½ teaspoon dry ground mustard
  12. ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  13. 1½ cups shellfish stock
  14. 2 tablespoons white wine
  15. 8 ounces Louisiana crabmeat, picked free of shells
  16. ¼ (16-ounce) loaf stale French bread, diced and toasted
  17. ½ cup bread crumbs
  18. 6 (8- to 10-ounce) fillets fresh flounder, skinned and deboned
  19. 6 long bamboo skewers, soaked in water 30 minutes
  20. 1 cup all-purpose flour
  21. 1 cup corn flour
  22. ¼ cup clarified butter
  23. Lemon Butter Sauce, recipe follows
  24. Garnish: microgreens
Instructions
  1. In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, bell peppers, garlic, green onion, ¾ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, thyme, mustard, and cayenne, and cook until softened, 5 to 8 minutes. Add stock and wine. Bring to a boil, and reduce by half.
  2. Add crabmeat and French bread, and stir until thickened. If stuffing is still too wet, add bread crumbs to desired thickness. Texture should be slightly moist and firm. Set aside, and let cool.
  3. Heat oven to 400°.
  4. On a work surface, place flounder fillet smooth side up. Spoon ½ cup stuffing in middle of fillet. Roll fillet tightly around stuffing, while keeping stuffing inside. Skewer fillet diagonally, securing the top and bottom of the fillet. Repeat with remaining fillets.
  5. Season fillets with remaining 1 teaspoon salt and remaining ½ teaspoon black pepper. In a shallow bowl, combine flour and corn flour.
  6. In a large nonstick skillet, add clarified butter, and cook over medium heat. Dredge fillets in flour mixture. Gently place fillet in pan, and cook until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip fillets, and cook 3 minutes more. Transfer fillets to oven, and cook until fillet flakes easily, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve with Lemon Butter Sauce, and garnish with microgreens, if desired.
Lemon Butter Sauce
Yields 1

Ingredients
  1. ½ cup white wine
  2. 4½ teaspoons minced shallot
  3. 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  4. 1 tablespoon Crystal hot sauce
  5. Zest of 1 lemon
  6. Juice of 2 lemons (⅓ cup to ½ cup)
  7. 1 cup unsalted butter, cubed
Instructions
  1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine wine, shallot, vinegar, hot sauce, and lemon zest and juice. Cook until reduced by ¾. Slowly whisk in butter until incorporated. Strain, discarding solids. Keep warm until serving.

This is my favorite stuffed flounder recipe.

Louisiana Blue Crab Stuffed Flounder
Serves 6

Ingredients
  1. ½ cup unsalted butter
  2. 1 cup diced yellow onion
  3. 1 cup diced celery
  4. 1 cup diced green bell pepper
  5. ½ cup diced red bell pepper
  6. 3 cloves garlic, minced
  7. 1 cup sliced green onion
  8. 1¾ teaspoons salt, divided
  9. ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
  10. ¾ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  11. ½ teaspoon dry ground mustard
  12. ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  13. 1½ cups shellfish stock
  14. 2 tablespoons white wine
  15. 8 ounces Louisiana crabmeat, picked free of shells
  16. ¼ (16-ounce) loaf stale French bread, diced and toasted
  17. ½ cup bread crumbs
  18. 6 (8- to 10-ounce) fillets fresh flounder, skinned and deboned
  19. 6 long bamboo skewers, soaked in water 30 minutes
  20. 1 cup all-purpose flour
  21. 1 cup corn flour
  22. ¼ cup clarified butter
  23. Lemon Butter Sauce, recipe follows
  24. Garnish: microgreens
Instructions
  1. In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, bell peppers, garlic, green onion, ¾ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, thyme, mustard, and cayenne, and cook until softened, 5 to 8 minutes. Add stock and wine. Bring to a boil, and reduce by half.
  2. Add crabmeat and French bread, and stir until thickened. If stuffing is still too wet, add bread crumbs to desired thickness. Texture should be slightly moist and firm. Set aside, and let cool.
  3. Heat oven to 400°.
  4. On a work surface, place flounder fillet smooth side up. Spoon ½ cup stuffing in middle of fillet. Roll fillet tightly around stuffing, while keeping stuffing inside. Skewer fillet diagonally, securing the top and bottom of the fillet. Repeat with remaining fillets.
  5. Season fillets with remaining 1 teaspoon salt and remaining ½ teaspoon black pepper. In a shallow bowl, combine flour and corn flour.
  6. In a large nonstick skillet, add clarified butter, and cook over medium heat. Dredge fillets in flour mixture. Gently place fillet in pan, and cook until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip fillets, and cook 3 minutes more. Transfer fillets to oven, and cook until fillet flakes easily, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve with Lemon Butter Sauce, and garnish with microgreens, if desired.
Lemon Butter Sauce
Yields 1

Ingredients
  1. ½ cup white wine
  2. 4½ teaspoons minced shallot
  3. 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  4. 1 tablespoon Crystal hot sauce
  5. Zest of 1 lemon
  6. Juice of 2 lemons (⅓ cup to ½ cup)
  7. 1 cup unsalted butter, cubed
Instructions
  1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine wine, shallot, vinegar, hot sauce, and lemon zest and juice. Cook until reduced by ¾. Slowly whisk in butter until incorporated. Strain, discarding solids. Keep warm until serving.

OMG sounds wonderful too! You two are getting me in the cooking mood :D

Hunny just brought home some crabmeat, shrimp and crawfish for me to do my stuffing so will do a couple that way. The other 2 will definitely be eaten with this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Now you're talking. Wish I still had access to the fresh seafood we had living on Galveston Island for 30+ years. No decent seafood where i live in Central TX AT ALL!
Same here. I really miss it. Where I grew up, Red Lobster was like the Denny's of seafood places, LOL. Here it's about the best you can get.

Latest posts

Back