Looking to get a backup well pump generator

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All preppers need a MANUAL well pump...

I have a great well on my current property and during a recent hurricane we lost power for a couple weeks

I stored about 200 gallons of drinking water for family and farm b4 the storm...
bunch of water in 5 gallon buckets in a cool dark place

It's critical to have a manual pump to get you through and save your generator for more critical things like the refrigerator

We were catching rainwater in a 55 gal drum for toilet and dishes and mixing very low concentration of bleach in a pump sprayer for kitchen cleaning before we unboxed the generator.
I agree with you about the hand pump. Except in my case my well is 650 feet deep. A hand pump won't work for me. Fortunately I have a large spring fed pond and several other springs.
My well is 1/4 mile from the house and is on generator power. Currently when the pressure tank runs low I have to start the generator to fill the tank and charge the lines. This usually lasts me a couple days. Latter this year I plan to drill a new well near the house and wire it to the house power. The house and shop run off solar with a backup generator. I'm hoping the new well won't be as deep.

I agree with you about the hand pump. Except in my case my well is 650 feet deep. A hand pump won't work for me. Fortunately I have a large spring fed pond and several other springs.
My well is 1/4 mile from the house and is on generator power. Currently when the pressure tank runs low I have to start the generator to fill the tank and charge the lines. This usually lasts me a couple days. Latter this year I plan to drill a new well near the house and wire it to the house power. The house and shop run off solar with a backup generator. I'm hoping the new well won't be as deep.

I would look into some of the third-world strategies especially in Africa to get water out of a deep well via mechanical means there's got to be something out there that would save your skin in a major power loss situations

I would look into some of the third-world strategies especially in Africa to get water out of a deep well via mechanical means there's got to be something out there that would save your skin in a major power loss situations
There probably is something available but I'd never be able to pull the pump out of my well. I'll have power as long as I can get fuel for my generators and/or my solar system continues to produce electric. If all that fails I have the springs and the pond to fall back on.

There probably is something available but I'd never be able to pull the pump out of my well. I'll have power as long as I can get fuel for my generators and/or my solar system continues to produce electric. If all that fails I have the springs and the pond to fall back on.

What if the pump itself fails?

Yeah with a spring your SET...you could run a hand pump out of it and feed a hose...

That's the problem

You always have to assume that gas will run out.

That's why coastal Carolina is such a preppers paradise.

Lots of game, mild weather and plenty of rain.

It also has ocean access and shallow groundwater.

That's a good point. Right now I'd just call the pump guy, but after SHTF that's another matter. My well is 650 feet deep and my pump is 5 hp and hangs at 550 feet. It's connected to the surface by 20 foot sections of 1-1/4 inch galvanized pipe and was put in with a crane. I suppose with enough time I could build an A frame out of logs and use a winch to get the pump out. Hauling drinking water from the pond or spring wouldn't be a problem, and much easier than pulling the pump. I'd have move the garden closer to the pond.

I’m planning to put in solar panels this year. Mostly I’m just going to run lights and the fridge, but I want to be able to run the 220v well with it at least during the day time. I will do batteries down the road for 24hr power, but even having it during daylight hours is a nice step.

I’m planning to put in solar panels this year. Mostly I’m just going to run lights and the fridge, but I want to be able to run the 220v well with it at least during the day time. I will do batteries down the road for 24hr power, but even having it during daylight hours is a nice step.
That's the great thing about solar; you can expand on it any time as needed. If you need more power you can add more panels, add another inverter.

I don’t know what locked rotor amps is, but yes, you need to size a generator for at least 25% more than the amperage rating on your pump.
Be aware that if a generator says that it's xxxx watts at 50 amps, it doesn't mean that it's actually 50 amps. I've bought 3 generators for my well pump so far that claimed 50 amp, but only had 33 - 38 amp breakers and wouldn't start my well pump. These generations were between 8,000 and 12,000 watts and wouldn't start my well pump because the breaker would trip at 33 amps.
FYI, you may qualify for the 30% Federal tax credit for your generator purchase. I'm buying another backup generator for my well pump before the end of the year in order to take advantage of the tax credits.

Latest posts

Back