Quantcast

Looking to buy a gun, suggestions?

Doomsday Prepper Forums - The Number One Prepper Site

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Dallas Dixon

Reaction score
Recently I have acquired a taste for firearms that I need to expand on due to me not having but a single one. I am younger than 18, although I shall not specify, and my budget is going to be around three hundred bucks. I've found two firearms that I really think would be great options. One is the Thompson/Center Compass. It is chambered in .308, which I do know provides reliable shooting at pretty long distances, but it is at the peak of my budget, at two hundred and ninety-nine dollars. This also does not include scopes, ammunition, etc...
On the other hand, there's a shotgun I've been looking at that would be a great throw and go weapon and will suffice easily. The Mossberg Maverick 88. It is a very cheap shotgun, and although the price is super low, many have said they have put five hundred or more shells through it without a hitch. This gun does support custom pistol grips and fore-ends, but the fore-ends must also have the action bars on them. Pistol grips that fit the Mossberg 500 will fit on it, and they are relatively cheap. I am also going to have plenty of ammo for it. I have decided to buy 75 rounds of light dove ammunition of the brand "Monarch" every two weeks to stock up. I think this would be my best bet and would be a great project gun due to the low price. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them below. I am looking for shotguns and rifles, and if there is a rifle I would like it to be able to hit things at 300 yards. I know, I know, I'm asking a lot for my budget, but, with it being so low, there's only so much I can get, ya' know? I basically have no specifications for the shotgun, as long as it is twelve gauge and supports accessories. So, if you have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

tmttactical

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
@Dallas Dixon I do like some of your choices. I wonder what is the intended purpose for the firearms, hunting, self defense, future to build on or what? Every firearm has a specific best use option and then a secondary use. I am planning to acquire the Thompson Center Dimension series. The main rifle will be the 22-250 and then add different barrels as time and funds allow. The "B" group allows for 22-250, 6,5 Creedmoor, 243, 308, and the 7mm-08. Each new caliber addition is only about $200, so that will help keep the cost low. Those named calibers will cover any and all North American hunting needs. The other advantage to the T/C Dimension series is the ability to have just one scope and then dial in the ballistic changes for the caliber swaps.

Now if your purpose is repelling the Zombie hordes (kidding here) then an AR15 or AR10 platform is indicated. If just home defense (close quarters) is the primary need, then the shotguns you mentioned are good to go. Watch for sales heading towards Christmas and you should be able pick a good deal in any of your firearm choices. That is just my 2 cents worth. Enjoy your firearm search and don't get in a rush.

Last edited:

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dallas, from what I've read about the Compass, the only real "con" is the stock. But you can always get a better stock from Boyd's Gunstocks when you have the money. They have pretty decent stocks for the Compass for under $150.

Brent S

Top Poster
Reaction score
First off I would await till your of legal age. In today’s world it could cost more than it’s worth to get it before then. I’m a big shotgun fan for a first firearm for its flexibility. You can hunt and defend your family with it. Don’t worry about not being able to afford a high end brand name, there are plenty of good quality ones that just don’t have all the bells and whistles.

grayghost668

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
first what are you going to use it for,,,hunting or just shooting for fun???????

you have not disclosed your age so at this time I don't see self defense as a reason to have one

Latest posts