Looking for support

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After everything craps the bed, I don't thing a joint is going to end the world. I already know that is going to be used to help control the issues I have. On meds that are not classed as controlled, you might be able to talk to your dr and explain to him that you would like to have enough meds on hand to 'go out of town' or in case you can't get to the pharmacy.

After everything craps the bed, I don't thing a joint is going to end the world. I already know that is going to be used to help control the issues I have. On meds that are not classed as controlled, you might be able to talk to your dr and explain to him that you would like to have enough meds on hand to 'go out of town' or in case you can't get to the pharmacy.

I will ask next, thanks for that suggestion. I actually had wondered what someone does if they cant make their appointment because my last one there was a winter storm. Thankfully my appointment was in the afternoon so the roads were better by the time I had to drive. When you leave you have to set your next appointment it is so difficult to get in because everyone has to see the PA each month. It certainly restricts people in any plans they might have.

You might 'lose' them one month and ask for a refill. That's something you can maybe do once if your dr is understanding.

I have a suggestion for people who frequently use ice packs. This product cools off by itself becasue it is filled with gel. Originally I wasn't thinking of Prepping when I got this, I was just tired of running out of ice becasue of using so much for my packs. Then I got to thinking it would be good to have if the power goes out, there would be no need to open the freezer during an outage to get ice. Even in a Bug Out situation you would always have a cool pack. It is used for bedding for those who get to warm at night causing them to have trouble falling asleep. They have them for any size bed and a pillow size so you don't have to keep turning the pillow over when it gets to warm. I also use mine during the day for an ice pack. It is from Cool Gelmat. I got the size for a twin bed so it is pretty big (35 x 35). It isn't super cold just cool enough to help and you don't have to worry about it leaking. It lasts about 15 - 20 minutes each side depending on your body temp. It would be a bit clumbsy even if you only had the pillow size but in a pinch someone could use it to put on a sprained ankle or a sore back etc. The down side: it isnt compact and it is heavy so it might be difficult for Bug Out purposes but if you know you will need it, and you know there will be no power it might be good to have around. They are also expensive but it was well worth it for me so I thought I would share the information.

lindy, welcome. I was thinking that your husband's asking for a list is a good thing. Lists are GREAT for beginner preppers and could spark his interest, but it looks like he's getting involved already, which is GREAT!

You have a lot of good questions that are asked by a lot of people a lot of times. Please look around and feel free to post other threads for specific info. It will help you keep things organized in your mind and easier to find on the forum if you or others search for it at a later date.

The biggest issue I see facing you that is a "Unique" problem that might not be covered in another thread, is your medication issue. I have the same problem and may be able to help you. If you'd like to, contact me in a PM. I see a PM doctor also. If you are on opiates, or any other meds that can build a dependency, you want to be SURE you can have back-up, even if the sky doesn't fall. If you need those meds and are in a survival situation and go into detox and start kicking, you're in GRAVE danger and this could very well become life-threatening. This is a VERY serious issue and should not be neglected if at all possible.

Alcohol and other "Mind altering substances" will definitely be good for bartering. If things get bad, people will want to "Get away and forget things" for a while. It will be worth a mint. Cheap liquor in your supplies will be worth as much as a fine single malt scotch or a perfectly aged bourbon. People will be looking for a buzz, not for a nice sipping liquor. Trust me on this. Look at any homeless person without anything but an alcohol addiction. They will drink ANYTHING.... WHich leads me to another point, many addicts and alcoholics will do almost anything to get it, including but not limited to hurting you.... Security is a must in prepping, but I would give extra thought to this if you're thinking of stockpiling alcohol or other mind altering substances(LEGAL ONES recommended only, of course) that could put you in MUCH greater risk or added risk of being robbed or "Taken" for your goods.

Hi Alabaster, Pain is a challenging thing isn't it. I would like to talk to someone who understands. I am afraid I have lead a sheltered life and I didn't even think of the situations you spoke of. You mentioned using other threads...I am doing good to even log on. It takes me forever to get to this place. Computers are not my strength. I have been on pain meds for a long time, decades. Addiction has always been a fear of mine. I have had to stop taking them for one reason or another a couple of times for weeks at at time but I haven't had any trouble like kicking or detox. I was hoping to get a spinal stimulator implant (do you know what that is?) I had the trial and it worked, but my body formed to much scar tissue and they were unable to put in the perrmanent one after 2+ hours on the operating table, that was horrible! If I had that it would have allowed me to decrease my pain meds and maybe even stop taking them all together. I guess God has something else in mind since that didn't work. For now I am on disability. It is very difficult being away from the people I serve. You said contact you in the evening, how would I reach you, through this page?

Lindy, hon, if Alabaster hasn't already done this I'll tell you how to talk to him privately. Right click your mouse on his name at one of his posts. You will get a box that will come up in the middle of your screen and you will have an option called 'Start a Conversation' at about the middle of the box, right above the line. Click that and you will get another window popped up and now you can start sending him information privately. Hope this helps.

Lindy, hon, if Alabaster hasn't already done this I'll tell you how to talk to him privately. Right click your mouse on his name at one of his posts. You will get a box that will come up in the middle of your screen and you will have an option called 'Start a Conversation' at about the middle of the box, right above the line. Click that and you will get another window popped up and now you can start sending him information privately. Hope this helps.

Dear old_anorak,
Between learning this forum computer stuff and just scratching the surface of Prepping it is overwhelming. Thanks for your gentleness in helping me. I will try what you said tomorrow. I am very tired hopefully I can get some refreshing sleep. I hope that for you to. Good night, blessings!

Rest well and we'll be here. You can send me a message the same way if you ever want to.

Latest posts

Back