Looking for Communications Radio for Emergency

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the reply. I recently found that there are repeaters, and there is a local club.

I was looking at the V-80 Sport and the V-86. As would be expected, 40 years of not paying attention to this industry has me surprised with what's available.

They are purchased non programmed. You have some choices. Use free CHIRP software to program the 128 channels (via Windows is best). Or do each channel manually. This is used if in the field and not near a pc. Here are directions for that...

How to manually program a simplex channel

• Step 1. Press [VFO/MR] and enter Frequency Mode.
  • Step 2. Press [A/B] and choose the A Side (upper display).
    The A side must be used to program channels into the radio. Programming data entered on the B Side (lower display) will not be saved.
  • Step 3. Press [BAND] for the frequency band.
    Toggle [BAND] to choose 136 MHz (VHF) or 470 MHz (UHF).
    If the incorrect band is chosen for the frequency entered in Step 5, the radio will cancel the operation.
  • Step 4. Disable TDR (Dual Watch/Dual Standby).
    Press [MENU] 7 [MENU] [press up/down arrow keys] OFF [MENU] [EXIT]
    It is highly advised to turn TDR off when programming directly from the radio.
  • Step 5. Enter the frequency.
    Use the keypad to enter the frequency into the radio.
  • Step 6. optional - Enter the transmit CTCSS/DCS code.
    • CTCSS - [MENU] 13 [MENU] [enter/choose code XXXX] [MENU] [EXIT]
    • DCS - [MENU] 12 [MENU] [choose code XXXXX] [MENU] [EXIT]
  • Step 7. Assign the frequency to a channel.
    [MENU] 27 [MENU] [enter channel number XXX] [MENU] [EXIT]
My understanding is that without repeaters they will not go past 4 miles. There are repeaters already active that you can join. The yearly fee is dirt cheap.

Yes, they are legal!
GMRS repeaters you can join, and you still need a GMRS license. Ham repeaters don't charge fee's, but you must be licensed to use them. And we take care of boot leggers...

So pay the FCC the $35 for a GMRS license, buy a few midland 40 watt mobiles and a few GMRS handhelds and comm away.

What you conceive to be SHTF is nothing like what it's actually going to be. It's going to be like Venezuela with Martial Law. They won't fine you for not being licensed, they will deem you an insurgent and put you against a wall. Ya'll watching too much Walking Dead... 🤣

Latest posts

Back