Looking for a PDF

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallas Dixon

Reaction score
Does anyone have a PDF on the basics of long range shooting? If not, I can order a paperback of something, which I'll probably do anyway, just for ease of use.

There hundreds of YouTube (YT) videos on the principals of long distance shooting. Once you have watched a few dozen, then a book (PDF) will make more sense, in my opinion. True long range shooting is an art form and requires a tremendous amount of skill and knowledge. Just the simple fact of shoot east or west will make a big difference.

Also, take notes.

Get a notebook and a calculater, and keep meticulous notes on ammo, temperature, wind direction and speed, adjustments to you sights, and so on.

Also, a laser rangefinder (used in golf) can help you measure distances precisely.

Also, invest in a bipod, and a sock filled with sand.

If you are really serious about long range shooting, you'll need one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Kestrel-3500-Pocket-Meter-Waterproof/dp/B008N7C24E
Kestrel-Meter-3500-Yellow_grande.jpg

And forget about the cheap rangefinders. They can't reliably get readings at more than 300 yards on anything but the side of a brightly painted barn.

Bare minimum you'll need something like the Leupold RX-1300i which has an inclinometer. Runs about $220-ish.

Better yet a RX-1600i which runs around $340-ish.

I have an older model 1200i, which can range just about everything in sight.

I think it would be best if he learned why he would need these items and how to use these items before he worried about purchasing these items. A 100 to 300 yard shot no big deal, A 1300 yard shot and then there is a ton of things to understand, measure, record and then adjust for. Just about anybody can setup with a spotter, a good scope and a few boxes of ammo and eventually hit the target. The true long distance shooter does the same thing within 2 or 3 shots max. You have got to have the skill and knowledge to use the tools needed to properly do the job. I think this young man has a long ways to go before he will need the tools. Even using factory ammo is going to be an issue at long distance shooting. Inconsistencies between factory loaded ammo can make a difference at these distances. JM2C

save your money on the Kestrel, learn to read mirage and wind via your scope. A Kestrel only tells you the info at the shooter, the important info is at the target and between.

Take a shooting class, time is short to learn on your own from the internet. They are all over the place these days and have quality instructors in most states.

Latest posts

Back