Looking for a new Compass.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooky

Reaction score
I have experience using the GI standard Cammenga Compass, but I'm not in possession of one, and don't know if I want to spend the money for one.

Any thoughts on brands/models you've been using?

All my BOB, GHB, INCH Bags have a mil std Cammenga.

Kids vehicle bags have the cheaper, but yet good, Silva. They run about half.

When I teach land navigation using a USGS map, the Silva's are pretty good for training.

Just my thoughts.

Silva type 4 or Sunnto in both Mils and Degrees with Tritium bezel and pointers are the only ones I trust. Every american compass I ever had always tried to take me to San Francisco :)

Thank you. You've all given me something to think about. While I may end biting the bullet for a H3 Cammenga, I want to have a small collection of backup items.

N.R. That's because you have that small island called the British Isles...you can turn around in one direction, drive three hours or so and be on the other side...really San Francisco....lol

When money allows Spooky, you should also get a good handheld GPS (I wouldn't trust that one on the IPhone app either).

Cheers N.R...

N.R. That's because you have that small island called the British Isles...you can turn around in one direction, drive three hours or so and be on the other side...really San Francisco....lol

When money allows Spooky, you should also get a good handheld GPS (I wouldn't trust that one on the IPhone app either).

Cheers N.R...

Presently saving for a Yaesu FT-2DR...should work fairly well for navigation. That said I have a distrust of all things electronic, they tend to fail on me at bad times.

When we talk Silva we must distinguish between US Silva and Sweden Silva (not the same company). US Silva is NOT the Silva USA of the past unfortunately today Silva of Sweden doesn't have an US version. I'm not happy nor will I buy a Silva USA, some of the if not all current Silva USA Ranger model is Asian made not US.

For the US market get a Finnish made Suunto for the US market don't fall for the H3 Cammenga being the best option it's not, not very compatible for 7.5-minute quadrangle format that the majority of US topo maps are in, the H3 would be a very expensive N pointer only ;)

When we talk Silva we must distinguish between US Silva and Sweden Silva (not the same company). US Silva is NOT the Silva USA of the past unfortunately today Silva of Sweden doesn't have an US version. I'm not happy nor will I buy a Silva USA, some of the if not all current Silva USA Ranger model is Asian made not US.

For the US market get a Finnish made Suunto for the US market don't fall for the H3 Cammenga being the best option it's not, not very compatible for 7.5-minute quadrangle format that the majority of US topo maps are in, the H3 would be a very expensive N pointer only ;)

As it happens, my Gshock Rangeman GW9400-1 will point north in a pinch (or any of my analog watches provided I have sunshine).

Thank you, I'll have to give Suunto a look. Trying to not break the bank here :)

Latest posts

Back