Long term gardening?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystic_dreamer30

Reaction score
I have heard the term long term Gardening plant once harvest for 30 years with out replanting? Can this be done? If so with what food

think along the line of Perennial and annual when it comes to flowers..chances are,not one Perennial flower will come back the next year.but a annual flower will come back each,for how many years.. foods are same way..take carrots and blackberries for example.you have to replant the carrots each year..but yet you dont have to with with blackberries..and of coruse theres fruit trees like lemon apple cherry and orange.they produce each year.

I have heard the term long term Gardening plant once harvest for 30 years with out replanting? Can this be done? If so with what food
Fruits, nuts, berries, even asparagus! Although I've planted asparagus twice now and it died both times! I'll try again as I'm getting better now, but learned you can't just dig a hole and expect things to live.

think along the line of Perennial and annual when it comes to flowers..chances are,not one Perennial flower will come back the next year.but a annual flower will come back each,for how many years.. foods are same way..take carrots and blackberries for example.you have to replant the carrots each year..but yet you dont have to with with blackberries..and of coruse theres fruit trees like lemon apple cherry and orange.they produce each year.
actually, its the other way around. . . annual are only good for one year. Perennials can go on forever depending on what you are planting

Having grown up in a large family, with parents that were born during The Great Depression and having grandparents that raised families during The Great Depression, it gives a person a better appreciation of how to survive on little or nothing, especially from the stand point of a loss of income.

My parents lived in the worst house in the whole town.
The back porch had 13 steps up to the platform to go in the door.
The lot was not level and the house had a large stone wall foundation which allowed a person to dig out the cellar and put in shelves that held canning products.

The yard had many trees - peach, pares, apple's, plum's, cherries, walnuts, chestnuts, hickory, along with grape vines. My dad and my grandfather hand dug many gardens on the property and my mom worked herself to death planting onions, carrots, lettuce, peppers, tomato's, cucumbers, cabbage, kohlrabi, corn, squash, beets, strawberries, zucchini's... My mom was always washing jars, canning something, cooking something for supper and giving away her surplus to the lazy friends and neighbors that had no garden.

In retrospect, we ate like kings and lived like paupers.
Had my dad married any other woman, my dad would have died virtually penniless.
If it had not been for the work ethic that my mom instilled upon me, I would have succumb to the traps of public assistance a long time ago.
Who wouldn't like to live in subsidized housing, get free money every month for not doing any work, eat for free with food stamps and have things given to you just because you are too lazy to work. Some of these people even feels some sort of entitlement - like the government owes these people something just because they are too lazy to work.

As long as I can scrimp and save and provide for myself from my hunting activities and my garden I don't want any type of government subsidies.
If a SHTF type event happens, my life style doesn't change very much, except for the fact that I won't be able to drive to the grocery store and buy bread, milk, eggs, crackers, fresh produce and sugar.

Latest posts

Back