long lining for lots of fish

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emp proof

Reaction score
This is no use if your not near the coastline, take 2 panels of wood ie cupboard doors make a hole in each and tie a few feet of rope to each board, learn the high tide and low tide points of a beach, dig two holes at either end of the beach and bury the wooden parts with the ropes sticking out of the sand, tie a length of very strong line , fishing line, rope from one of the anchored ropes to the other, then tie a short length of fishing line to the main line every few feet with a hook and bait on each, wait for tide to come in and go back out, go collect all your fish :) you can find animals around the coast that aren't realy edible to us but make good baits such as small gobie fish from rock pools and limpets , although u can eet the "foot from a limpet they are disgusting and I'd much rather trade it for a fish,,,, happy hunting, P.S this is illegal in most places but after SHTF who gives a shit :)

This way one man can have a hundred hooks and baits in the water instead of one or two and you don't need a rod

That's a great way to fish and just leave it there and check them just like trap lines
Yeah man there's a lot to be said for hunting methods where u can leave them like snares and all that, takes the fun out of it in a way but a full Long line will feed a hell of a lot of people

I feel I have to say , choose how far up the beach u put it, if you put it too low you won't have enough time to remove the fish and add new bait before the tide comes back in, also if put too high it won't be under water for as long and it will be in shallower water also, so your choice of how close to the low water mark to go is very very important

This is no use if your not near the coastline, take 2 panels of wood ie cupboard doors make a hole in each and tie a few feet of rope to each board, learn the high tide and low tide points of a beach, dig two holes at either end of the beach and bury the wooden parts with the ropes sticking out of the sand, tie a length of very strong line , fishing line, rope from one of the anchored ropes to the other, then tie a short length of fishing line to the main line every few feet with a hook and bait on each, wait for tide to come in and go back out, go collect all your fish :) you can find animals around the coast that aren't realy edible to us but make good baits such as small gobie fish from rock pools and limpets , although u can eet the "foot from a limpet they are disgusting and I'd much rather trade it for a fish,,,, happy hunting, P.S this is illegal in most places but after SHTF who gives a shit :)

"This is no use if your not near the coastline"
Actually, this system of a long line with many hooks spread over it is used legally in many states in the US, its called trot lines.
Sorry guys, not only is it illegal in CA, but CA has even said it is known to cause cancer, LMAO.
The only difference is there is no tide to take it out. (but it can still be done if you have downwind with 2 or 3 milkjugs just fine, another one every 10 feet or so)
The theory of a single line with lots of hooks is not limited to "Long Lines"
I have seen many trot lines shot off into a lake with an arrow. The easiest way to take them out is by boat. Simply tie one end to a tree
and start towards other side attaching hooks and bait as you go. (I also recommend buoys every 10 -20 feet, either a float or a milk jug 2 liter bottle etc. this keeps the fish from taking the line to the bottom and tangling it up in debris) when you get to other side, if its a small resivour, pond river, tie it to something on that side. If you cant (on a large system) you can tie a weight, like a cinderblock to the end of the line, drop it into the water until it touches bottom attach a few gugs at the pointwhere the string meets the top of the water. this will keep the line tight. (can actually be done in the center of a resivour if you like with a weight and buoys at each end to keep it on top and tight, or with the river instead of across it.
Other fishing tactics to check your local restrictions on would be limb lining, and jugging.
in the SHTF scenerio, there is still fishtraps, spearing, bow and arrow, and worst case senerio handfishing (noodling). Catfish of some kind live in every country in the world. But I need be honest, I dont know about handfish the wels catfish, they are just more aggressive, and more powerful in the water I have heard.

California would make it illegal effing retards I like the lake water jug ting that's a good way to fish with out being on site

Ur talkin about a different system hades, this is only usefull for beaches and you fish the bottom and its all anchored down on each end so no need for floats but I can see how you'd do it like your sayin, let the river take it out or drag it across a lake glad its a usefull method for both and glad the info is on here for people who havnt heard of it before

We run jug lines and limb lines here. I like the limb lining better, you're able to get your catch in without a boat, that and since you're closer into the bank, the big cats are there. We set ours in the evening and check them the following evening. You don't see too many people doing this anymore, I'm thinking it's beginning to be a lost art.

Latest posts

Back