Long Lasting Food

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Reaction score
I did hear of packaged food that is dehydrated and it is supposed to last about 20 years. Is anyone familiar with this stuff? How does it taste?

I am going to to my local REI and see how much it costs.

There are many companies that offer dehydrated food for long-term food storage. Mountain House is probably the most well known. It's not that popular over here in the UK (and it's very expensive over here, too) but I know a lot of US-based preppers that have a LOT of this stuff stocked. It's not something I've tried personally, but I've heard pretty good reports from those who have. Probably most popular are the #10 cans.

It really depends on what you are prepping for as to what your food storage will look like. I have rice, pasta and other dried goods stored in mylar with oxygen absorbers - this method will extend the shelf life of such items up to around 10 years.

There are many companies that offer dehydrated food for long-term food storage. Mountain House is probably the most well known. It's not that popular over here in the UK (and it's very expensive over here, too) but I know a lot of US-based preppers that have a LOT of this stuff stocked. It's not something I've tried personally, but I've heard pretty good reports from those who have. Probably most popular are the #10 cans.

It really depends on what you are prepping for as to what your food storage will look like. I have rice, pasta and other dried goods stored in mylar with oxygen absorbers - this method will extend the shelf life of such items up to around 10 years.
The problem I have with the canned food is the expiration dates. They don't keep as long as I would like.
I have heard of a company whose dehydrated stuff will last 20 years.

I'm new to the world of oxygen absorbers. I didn't know they could extend the life of some food to 10 years.

The problem I have with the canned food is the expiration dates. They don't keep as long as I would like.
I have heard of a company whose dehydrated stuff will last 20 years.

I'm new to the world of oxygen absorbers. I didn't know they could extend the life of some food to 10 years.
I have heard on infowars.com about efoods direct. They will send you some samples for the shipping fee for you to try them. I prefer to use my own dry foods like rice, lentils, oats, nuts and such. The secret is to get the air out of the packages. E foods I believe uses nitrogen to get the products to save for 25 years. Who would need to save food for 25 years?

I have heard on infowars.com about efoods direct. They will send you some samples for the shipping fee for you to try them. I prefer to use my own dry foods like rice, lentils, oats, nuts and such. The secret is to get the air out of the packages. E foods I believe uses nitrogen to get the products to save for 25 years. Who would need to save food for 25 years?
IF what ever happens lasts 25 years, we, as a species, are in some serious trouble!

IF what ever happens lasts 25 years, we, as a species, are in some serious trouble!
I am thinking it might be a bio epidemic. At first I thought it might be water polution, but I have reconsidered that thought. Even with dried food a person needs water for 25 years too. If what ever happens lasts for 25 years the water supply will certainly be affected to some degree.
What part of California do you live in?

I am thinking it might be a bio epidemic. At first I thought it might be water polution, but I have reconsidered that thought. Even with dried food a person needs water for 25 years too. If what ever happens lasts for 25 years the water supply will certainly be affected to some degree.
What part of California do you live in?
I am in southern california.

first off www.maxlifefoods.com/ has some really good 'looking' food that lasts 25 years and if you think of how much money you spend on food a month they have damn good prices! second: and this is just my opinion, btw, unless you live in a out of the way place, like not in a city environment, or have a bomb shelter/bunker, i wouldnt stock food/water/guns/or too much ammo, your just stocking up for someone else to take! a damn good bug bag, a rifle and side arm, would be the way to go until you find a place to stock up.

first off www.maxlifefoods.com/ has some really good 'looking' food that lasts 25 years and if you think of how much money you spend on food a month they have damn good prices! second: and this is just my opinion, btw, unless you live in a out of the way place, like not in a city environment, or have a bomb shelter/bunker, i wouldnt stock food/water/guns/or too much ammo, your just stocking up for someone else to take! a damn good bug bag, a rifle and side arm, would be the way to go until you find a place to stock up.

Thanks for the link! I will be checking that out this evening!

This is one of the things I go back and forth on. since I do NOT have a bunker/shelter I am leaning to being more mobile. as I will have to some how get my son who is with my ex-wife some 13 miles away. She will not be able to protect him nor will her new husband. So being mobile is pretty important to me.

i have that problem too, my wife has 2 boys 11 and 10, from a previouse marrage that live with their father atm, so i feel your pain!

i have that problem too, my wife has 2 boys 11 and 10, from a previouse marrage that live with their father atm, so i feel your pain!
IT is such a pain. Hopefully they are somewhat near buy and you don't have to go down the hill (I15 South) in to OC, LA, Riverside, Fontana or San Diego

well she'll never leave them behind nor do i blame her. i helped raise them for 5 years, but the guys a $÷§∞@# (dont know if cussings alowed or not) that lives off his daddys wealth. i could go on but im sure sooner or later u have a space limit lol

well she'll never leave them behind nor do i blame her. i helped raise them for 5 years, but the guys a $÷§∞@# (dont know if cussings alowed or not) that lives off his daddy's wealth. i could go on but im sure sooner or later u have a space limit lol
Sounds like my ex's new worthless ### husband. He tried getting hostile with me, he learned fast that I'm not the P$#%@ he thought I was.
As far as cussing goes. I personally don't care, but there are ladies on here and I would like to keep it as clean as possible. If you do let one slip no big, as the site is supposed to catch it and change the word.

good to know. her ex knows better, he isnt a little guy but at 6'2 248lbs im not either, hes scared anyway useing stuff like his '2strikes' so he wont fight, as if id call the cops or something lol

good to know. her ex knows better, he isnt a little guy but at 6'2 248lbs im not either, hes scared anyway useing stuff like his '2strikes' so he wont fight, as if id call the cops or something lol
Well, at least you have that to keep him at bay with. got to love a 2 striker!

i don't know if anyone has seen this yet, but e-bay now has mre, freeze dried fruit, eggs, whole meals, veggies, chicken etc... and 60 day+ servings, from what I've seen online pretty cheap compared to online shops

i don't know if anyone has seen this yet, but e-bay now has mre, freeze dried fruit, eggs, whole meals, veggies, chicken etc... and 60 day+ servings, from what I've seen online pretty cheap compared to online shops
The good old MRE they do taste better now as compared to when I was in the Army. Costco is also selling a 275 serving dehydrated pail for 85.00. I think that is a good deal and will be buying a couple in the next week or so.

Latest posts

Back