Long(er) term coffee solution

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
Coffee and air conditioning are the two things I really don't want to give up in the SHTF.

Roasted coffee goes rancid fairly quickly. Instant coffee? Well just shoot me and get it over with, LOL.

But what about green coffee beans? Shelf life is much much longer than roasted coffee, and if properly packaged it can be years. Vacuum packed and frozen it is indefinite.

So I started buying green coffee beans and roasting them myself. Pleasant surprise: green coffee beans are cheaper than roasted coffee beans - MUCH CHEAPER.

I roast them in a cast iron skillet on slightly higher than medium heat. I take them out at the beginning of the "second crack." In the video below you can clearly hear the "first crack" which in that case developed slowly due to the beans having various sizes. The first crack occurs when the internal temperature reaches 385 °F. Although a few beans cracked prematurely, the first crack really begins in earnest at 0:46 and ends at about the end of the video. The second crack (@435 °F) developed much more quickly, but was a few minutes after the end of the video.

When the second crack began, I dumped the beans into a steel colander and took them outside and tossed them to cool.

Now after drinking freshly roasted coffee, I can't drink stale coffee anymore, LOL.

Last edited:
I have many kilos of coffee in sealed foil packs to keep me going, enough for my own needs for a few years and to use as currency if needed. Bought it in bulk when it was cheap and on offer at a bulk catering supply outlet.

Because I don't like Tea!!, I drink instant coffee, its cheap, but I actually prefer drinking chocolate it has more taste, but I can easily live without either of them in a SHTF world.
I drink coffee because I enjoy it bigpaul. That's all the justification I need.

I just bought single origin, direct trade, small farm Kenya AA beans (pretty much the crème de la crème of coffee beans) for $8.32 per pound on Amazon. That's 16,32 €/kg, or £13,88/kg for y'all across the pond.

You can find Tanzanian green coffee beans for around $5/lb.

Last edited:
I normally buy several pounds of roasted whole bean coffee at a time and freeze it in the deep freeze, but it does lose some flavor when you freeze it, and the flavor gradually degrades over time. I would imagine the same is true of freeze dried. It still tastes OK, it just doesn't have the full flavor after freezing.

But now hopefully I can freeze the green coffee, and still get the full flavor by roasting small batches at a time. Even without refrigeration the green beans will keep a long time. If you vacuum pack them and use an oxygen absorber, maybe indefinitely.

coffee or whatever one's addiction is all have one problem, what do you do is a post collapse world when ALL the supplies have been used up? everything is finite, when its all gone, its all gone.

Coffee is grown, why would it be all gone? Scarse or limited, but not finite. Besides one could stockpile enough to last there lifetime.

Coffee is grown, why would it be all gone? Scarse or limited, but not finite. Besides one could stockpile enough to last there lifetime.
oh dear, oh dear, there's that "everything will be alright" assumption again.
I think my definition of WTSHTF might be different to a lot of folk.

Last edited:
oh dear, oh dear, there's that "everything will be alright" assumption again.
I think my definition of WTSHTF might be different to a lot of folk.

Your assumption of what I was assuming is wrong again. Your thinking is a bit different from most others BigPaul, lol but that's what makes you unique.

Latest posts

Back