Long Distance Get Home Bag

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker1001

Reaction score
Hi, Preppers. I'm looking for some advice from you all. I'm a college student living a 10 hour drive from my family back home. I keep thinking about the worst case scenario if something were to happen and all sh*t broke loose. I would need to make it from Chicago to South Dakota so I can regroup with my family. To say the least, I'm sure a 10 hour drive in an emergency situation might not be a possibility so I want to be prepared to make it on foot. Any suggestions or ideas for a get home bag?

Hi, Preppers. I'm looking for some advice from you all. I'm a college student living a 10 hour drive from my family back home. I keep thinking about the worst case scenario if something were to happen and all sh*t broke loose. I would need to make it from Chicago to South Dakota so I can regroup with my family. To say the least, I'm sure a 10 hour drive in an emergency situation might not be a possibility so I want to be prepared to make it on foot. Any suggestions or ideas for a get home bag?
Focus on what you need to survive. Water, food, shelter and security. You can’t carry enough water for a two week hike, so get a couple filters. Food can be alot easier to carry now days with freeze dried pouches and energy bars at least. The security thing can help with catching food too, as in a gun for hunting. By the way, most prepping items can have more than one use, and should. Shelter can be anything from a tent, tarp, or even just a warm water resistant blanket. Your basics are covered by this, but I would strongly recommend some more things like minor first aid, extra shoes, fire starters, etc. The problem is with weight though. If you’re traveling a long way, I’m guessing 6 to 700 miles, you don’t want to over pack. Just the fact that you are considering and planning for the possibility of an event happening already puts you ahead of 90% of the people out there.

G, I wonder who this is. A college student would just Google it up or youtube search bugout bag. Yeah right.

I can't wait for Clyde to get back.

Wait, you’re suspicious of this, compared to Mexican Maria this is nothing!

This don't surprise me. How many college students log on to message boards anymore? This isn't 2002. Lol. You can Google bugout bag and have instant access to 100 detailed in-depth videos on get home bags.

This is a joke.

Focus on what you need to survive. Water, food, shelter and security. You can’t carry enough water for a two week hike, so get a couple filters. Food can be alot easier to carry now days with freeze dried pouches and energy bars at least. The security thing can help with catching food too, as in a gun for hunting. By the way, most prepping items can have more than one use, and should. Shelter can be anything from a tent, tarp, or even just a warm water resistant blanket. Your basics are covered by this, but I would strongly recommend some more things like minor first aid, extra shoes, fire starters, etc. The problem is with weight though. If you’re traveling a long way, I’m guessing 6 to 700 miles, you don’t want to over pack. Just the fact that you are considering and planning for the possibility of an event happening already puts you ahead of 90% of the people out there.

Thanks, Brent. Starting a list of necessities right now. And I agree, weight here is very important. I need to take into consideration myself and my buddy who I plan on taking too so shareable items can easily be distributed to lighten the load.

This don't surprise me. How many college students log on to message boards anymore? This isn't 2002. Lol. You can Google bugout bag and have instant access to 100 detailed in-depth videos on get home bags.

This is a joke.

I'm confused with the nature of your response to this thread. What is this community for if not for guidance, experience, and communication for people who want to be ready and prepared. I have people I need to look after, so being prepared is a must.

Thanks

I'm confused with the nature of your response to this thread. What is this community for if not for guidance, experience, and communication for people who want to be ready and prepared. I have people I need to look after, so being prepared is a must.

Thanks

Yea right I'm sure. And I'm Donald Trump.

I don't even know what you're trying to accuse me of, but unless you're hear to provide some advice for this then push off. I'm here so I don't have to waste my time sorting through the garbage websites online when you search this stuff.

I don't even know what you're trying to accuse me of, but unless you're hear to provide some advice for this then push off. I'm here so I don't have to waste my time sorting through the garbage websites online when you search this stuff.

Hmmm...u sound English. Carry on mate...aka Silent Seeker.

5:11 Rush 72 is a great bit of kit.

Thanks, Brent. Starting a list of necessities right now. And I agree, weight here is very important. I need to take into consideration myself and my buddy who I plan on taking too so shareable items can easily be distributed to lighten the load.
Everyone here has a budget to work with. The one thing I advise to not skimp on though is a good water filter. And Learning to use it properly too. Everything else is secondary to staying hydrated, especially when your walking with gear or doing any strenuous work your not accustomed to.

weight is a problem you can only carry so much,if your trip is all highway and you can not drive a bike with a cart

Attachments

• 807561.jpg
    807561.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 807561.jpg
    807561.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 807561.jpg
    807561.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 6
darn I didn't think the picture was there,but anyways with a bike and the cart you can carry more supplies,and that image is not the only option out there for a pull behind cart,,,just google it

Seeing that ur from the UK I'm sure ur used to being on foot so that won't be issue. I know ur a college student so ur no stranger to youtube as well but I thought Id share anyway.

You said that you will distribute the weight between you and your buddy to not overload. Just make sure you each carry a water filter, compass, map and flint or whatever you plan on fire starter. Those are essential and you just never know. You may get separated or loss one with a long hike. In a SHTF situation also keep in mind that others are going to be wanting your stuff and getting separated is a big possibility.

if you have a possibility,then try out some different bags,not all will sit okay on you,loading them will give you some advice you'll need about them.
but what ever bag you go for;check that it's made okay,not adviceable to go cheap and then find out after an hrs hike,seams brake etc.

Latest posts

Back