Living off the Land Recipes Thread

Prepper & Survivalism Forum

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Overlord

Reaction score
Am just wondering if we could have a Recipes thread that comprises of recipes using ingredients that can be found around like flowers, leaves, insects, etc.

If there is a section I can put this in, where can I do it?

Thanks In Advance

Overlord

Reaction score
I was watching a local show and was surprised to learn that there were flowers that were edible that i didn't know were.
A recipe i learned from a friend was the use of newly sprouted leaves of the mango tree were good for a salad. I tried it and they tasted like unripd mangos

Trapper

Reaction score
Well, this is as good as a place as any. Start posting recipes here. If it gets good enough maybe Clyde will make a sticky post of it so it does not get buried and people will continue to contribute to it.

Mountain*Heart

Reaction score
Great idea! Have a few recipes for outside cooking...ruff camping. Also, it would be great to have a few ideas on different ways to cook outdoors..ie..ways to keep smoke down (for various reasons), inground dutch oven and such. Have used a few different ways but would love to learn more.

Hockie

Forever Banned and Forgotten
Banned
Reaction score
paraffin is about $1 a lb and 50 lbs will cook 1 person's food for a year. put 7 little spiral "wicks" in a #10 can that's half full of paraffin (wicks can be mop-strings) and poke holes in sides, above the top of the wax. Poke holes in bottom and sides of a 2 gallon can. put rocks inside the bottom fo the larger can, and set the wax can inside of it. ignite all the wicks and watch it boil a gallon of water in 5-6 minutes. :) once the wax cools, no worries about spillage or leaks. cook down in a gully, etc, and no worries about light showing at night. No real smoke in daylight, either. The SMELL of burning wax and cooking food carries further than the sight of a little smoke from this "can-candle". It blackens the bottom of your cooking pot badly, but so what? A lid on the pot reduces the time to boil by about 1/3rd, by the way, btw.

old_anorak

Prepping Goddess
Reaction score
Actually, just put the recipes down in the Food section. I've already got one down there for raccoon enchiladas. When posting things about plants, it would be helpful to post pictures of the stages the plant can be eaten in so no one makes mistakes as well as what regions the plants are native to.

Hockie

Forever Banned and Forgotten
Banned
Reaction score
well, cattails are pretty much everywhere, everyone knows them, and I gather that some part of them is edible almost year round. They are quite a staple, like arrowroot, acorns, and redpine inner bark, dandelions,clover, and such.

Danil54grl

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score

Latest posts