Livestock Management

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the square foot gardening method. . . I don't have 'raised beds' but when I plant, I pile on my walk way dirt into my beds after I till. I make them 4' across and how ever long my bed is. That is just me though
Oh! Yes! Love the square foot gardening also...I am still vertically challenged though! I have something I overload and it falls every year! I started years ago with container gardening, that moved to raised beds...now I am learning the permaculture principles along with the no till, mulch gardening, and anything else that conserves physical energy and water and is reproducible and if I can figure out a way to make the animals do most of the work...I will!

The only problem I see is that it's really hard to confine pigs. That "tractor" didn't look very big. It literally only takes moments for a pig to root through a small area and then it wants to move on to the next food quickly. Of course, he didn't show a good shot of the tractor either. If it was made sides, top and bottom from that heavy duty pig wire, not an issue, but you'd still have to move that tractor often. And how do you give them water?

The only problem I see is that it's really hard to confine pigs. That "tractor" didn't look very big. It literally only takes moments for a pig to root through a small area and then it wants to move on to the next food quickly. Of course, he didn't show a good shot of the tractor either. If it was made sides, top and bottom from that heavy duty pig wire, not an issue, but you'd still have to move that tractor often. And how do you give them water?
I have never used this or built one...I do have experience with pigs and electric fencing...this is another animal "training" process...the younger the pig the better the results. What I have gleaned from my research is that this is seasonal, you start with your young pigs and grow them out to processing age or they outgrow the pen. There is even a scientific process for figuring out the carbon load deposited by the animals...so many animals for so much land to not overload the ground with poop, I found that fascinating...poop fascinates me for some weird reason...the sick side of me I guess! How they move that thing I would say is by brute force seeing how they do not own a tractor...must be on wheels somehow? Watering, I also am not sure. Don't think this would be practical except using them for constant plowing...don't see how babies would "move" with that thing.

I had a great uncle that as a teenager I spent summers on their farm...they had a few cows but the main income was chicken eggs and pig. I was introduced to electric fences and pigs then...if he had a tree stump he wanted to remove, he would take an auger and bore holes around the stump, pour in corn, electric fence in that area, turn loose one or two of his big pigs and that stump would be gone in a couple days. They are definitely great earth movers! He started his baby pigs training on electric fence from day one...the stall always had one wall that had an electrified line with flags...it usually did not take long for the babies to figure out not to touch that wire, as they grew every day he would remove flags! I was told that an adult pig that had never "seen" an electric fence could be trained to one but that it was almost impossible...they do better when conditioned from birth. His breeding sows were so docile, they followed you anywhere with a can of corn...he used to throw me up on his favorite to ride! Oh! How I miss the country!

Latest posts

Back